On ramping up the supply of rim-fire ammo.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

On ramping up the supply of rim-fire ammo.

Post by 765x53 »

This may help explain the difficulty of increasing production to meet the demands of speculation and hording. http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014 ... 22lr-ammo/

Considering the many steps involved, maybe it is time to reconsider the case-less and primer-less Daisy VL .22.

The original VL was a single-shot but, a revolving cylinder repeater would seem possible.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Re: On ramping up the supply of rim-fire ammo.

Post by Dave »

I've been keeping an eye on rimfire ammo. It is starting to sit longer and longer and the price is inching down. Hopefully the bubble is bursting.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Even though it goes against my 'accumulating' nature, I've resisted buying a box or two every time I see some available, because I really do have enough for my now-modest use (kids off to college), plus I want to push the price down by NOT buying it yet.

After watching that video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5qMsmu ... r_embedded, I'm amazed that it costs as little as it does. Lots of hands-on labor, and necessity for relatively small batches, and none of those machines are likely very 'generic', so likely cost a ton of money to buy and maintain.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Actually Doc, the punch presses are generic.
The other stuff is propriatary.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Mescalero wrote:Actually Doc, the punch presses are generic.
The other stuff is propriatary.
Yeah, but there sure are a lot of those 'other stuff' machines they use.

Anyhow - a very interesting video.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

ATK/Federal and most big name makers are running three shifts. The ammo is getting made. The problem, at least here in central MO, is vultures who camp out at WalMart etc. and buy it up as soon as the truck unloads. You can bet your caboose they are getting notification from employee friends, when it arrives. These same people are offering it for sale at open air markets at no less than a 100% mark-up.

So in effect, there is no shortage; only greed. I can buy 10-16 bricks of 22 today, if I'm willing to pay $50-100 bucks a brick for it.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I have no problem at all with stocking up on rim fire ammo, or any ammo I shoot really.

But I will not pay scalpers prices. I have enough now to hold me over till the next RINO gets elected. The bubble will burst for a while then I can stock up some more.

My local stores, not Walmart, may or may not have any in stock. One store that I'm sure of will have his prices jacked up considerably. He's done that since I've known of the store. But he seems to have ammo.

The other store is more reasonable.

I've been in neither for several years.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I am finally sitting on a couple thousand .22LR rounds and not worried about not getting them anymore. You would think at least one ammo maker would re-die his presses and solely produce .22 LR. If it were me, I would produce just enough to keep a steady sales at a slightly inflated price. It seems few are panicking over shotgun shells or center fire ammo these days. The shelves around my area stay pretty full.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”