The 50 to 100 Yard 2" Difference...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

The 50 to 100 Yard 2" Difference...

Post by cshold »

Took a few shoots at the range this morning with my Winchester model 70 Lightweight in. 243.
Back in December during deer season it had gotten really wet the one day. I had taken it out of the stock and given it a real good cleaning & drying out.
I wanted to make sure she was still dialed in.
I was shooting my favored Deer round, Remington 100 grain Core-Loct PSP's
Smack on at 50 yards and identical at 100 yards, just exactly 2" higher.
A third shot made a joyous sound at 200 yards on the steel plate.
Conclusion, no change 8)

mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Re: The 50 to 100 Yard 2" Difference...

Post by mod71alaska »

Nice shooting! Beautiful fox and rifle! The Rem. 100 gr. Core-lokt PSP is my favorite round in my .243 Sako, too.

What variable Leupold scope does your rifle wear? What power do you use for 100 yds.?

Thanks for posting your range report and photos!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

3-9X power Leupold.

For rifle range shooting I go heavy on the X.

The 50 yrd. target I used 6X.

The 100 yrd. target & 200 yrd. steel plate shot I used 9X.

In the parts of Penn’s woods that I hunt thicket donkeys, 3 to 4X is about right.
Most all deer I have taken were well less than 100 yards.
That’s my reason for shooting dead-nuts on at 50 yards.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Looks like the 243 is always on stand by great pix.

Brad
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

It's wierd how that fox fell asleep right there...

:shock:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Good on the fox...how far was the shot?
I am somewhat puzzled by 2" difference between 50 & 100yds!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Nath wrote:Good on the fox...how far was the shot?
I am somewhat puzzled by 2" difference between 50 & 100yds!

N.
The height of the scope indicates that the bullet is rising to cross the line of sight at 50 and be 2" high at 100.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

The Fox was about a 40 yard shot.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/bullet_trajectory.htm

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thanks for explaning the obvious Gents, most kind of you.
How ever it seems too drastic but only in my humble opinion .
If I wanted a rifle zeroed thus in that cartridge I would be adjusting the mounts so there was no more difference than an inch over the distance of 100yds. But that is just my take.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Nath wrote:Thanks for explaning the obvious Gents, most kind of you.
How ever it seems too drastic but only in my humble opinion .
If I wanted a rifle zeroed thus in that cartridge I would be adjusting the mounts so there was no more difference than an inch over the distance of 100yds. But that is just my take.
It just depends on how much past the zero'd distance you want to shoot without holdover.

Figure in this case, the bullet is about 2" below the line of sight at the muzzle, so if it is perfectly flat (and at > 3,000 fps it almost is*, arriving 300 feet 'out there' in less than a tenth of a second, so barely falling yet), it would cross at 50 yards, and be about 2" high at 100 yards.

*I think it would 'fall' about 1.9" in 0.1 second, but keep in mind it is actually going 'up' at about 48 inches per second when it leaves the muzzle, if it is aimed so as to potentially rise 2.4 inches in about 1/20th of a second but during that time also fall about 0.4" to cross the line of sight at 50 yards having risen two inches. (All these numbers are kind of guesstimates).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Look, I will try again.

Our good friend Casastahle said he shoots most critters where he wants to use this rifle at less than 100yds.

With this rifle and cartridge (.243) there is no need to have a zero at 50yds and suffer a 2" rise over the next 50yds!
The front of the scope wants raising, then our friend will be "dead nuts on" to 100yds.

Why do people never consider the angle of the sight plane to bore relationship :roll:

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

You sort of answered your own question. The line of sight and line of bore are the components. The bullet, line of bore, has to rise 2"to be zeroed at 50 yards. The bullet continues to rise until top of arc, thus being 2" high at 100. To do as you suggest would be the correct step to have the bullet only rise 1", and appear 1" low, at 50, and cross the line of sight at 100.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Or mount scope lower if wanting best close-in point-blank options, just like a very high mount extends the depth of your 'way out there' point-blank range.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

All I know is I'm happier than a pig in stink with the way this little model 70 is setup & shoots.
It'll drop a deer with absolute confidence from 0 to 200 yards.
At 50 it's smack on, at 100 it's 2" high, at about 150 it's back to smack on, at 200 it's 3" low.
= meat in the freezer :wink:
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

casastahle wrote:All I know is I'm happier than a pig in stink with the way this little model 70 is setup & shoots.
It'll drop a deer with absolute confidence from 0 to 200 yards.
At 50 it's smack on, at 100 it's 2" high, at about 150 it's back to smack on, at 200 it's 3" low.
= meat in the freezer :wink:
That is the way to go for sure :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

Sounds like a perfect sight setup to me. I wish I lived in a state that allowed rifle deer hunting.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Nath, when I shoot my .243 loaded with 58 gr Hornady V-max or Z-max bullets, I use a 3" point blank range (6" vital zone)

My first Line of sight crossing is ~30 meters, I'm 3" high at 150m, second line of sight crossing is at ~260m, and I'm 3" low at 300m.

Point blank shooting at coyotes and bobcats. I'll grant, I may have to hold a bit for a grey fox. On prairie dogs, it depends on whether they are standing or horizontal how I hold. If I'm in doubt of the range, I simply hold a little low and let the ground splatter take them out.

If I change my vital zone to 4" then My first Line of sight crossing is ~30 meters, I'm 2" high at 130m, second line of sight crossing is at ~220m, and I'm 2" low at 260m

I personally (my opinion...others vary I'm sure) would never zero a flat shooting cartridge like a .243 at 100 yards or meters. I never zero my scoped guns at any set range, I always set them for my MPBR. I tend to shoot my iron sighted rifles by having them reach PBR at 200 or 150, depending on caliber.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

vancelw wrote:Nath, when I shoot my .243 loaded with 58 gr Hornady V-max or Z-max bullets, I use a 3" point blank range (6" vital zone)

My first Line of sight crossing is ~30 meters, I'm 3" high at 150m, second line of sight crossing is at ~260m, and I'm 3" low at 300m.

Point blank shooting at coyotes and bobcats. I'll grant, I may have to hold a bit for a grey fox. On prairie dogs, it depends on whether they are standing or horizontal how I hold. If I'm in doubt of the range, I simply hold a little low and let the ground splatter take them out.

If I change my vital zone to 4" then My first Line of sight crossing is ~30 meters, I'm 2" high at 130m, second line of sight crossing is at ~220m, and I'm 2" low at 260m

I personally (my opinion...others vary I'm sure) would never zero a flat shooting cartridge like a .243 at 100 yards or meters. I never zero my scoped guns at any set range, I always set them for my MPBR. I tend to shoot my iron sighted rifles by having them reach PBR at 200 or 150, depending on caliber.
THAT is what I do, too.

1. Decide on size of vital zone.
2. Figure max PBR.
3. Sight at 100 yards to proper point hi/lo.
4. If you have to 'extend' a bit, a higher scope mount could be used, but it pushes out the close end of your zone. No big deal usually if you don't mind being off at 50 yards to bring in another 25 yards 'out there'.

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Gobblerforge wrote:You sort of answered your own question. The line of sight and line of bore are the components. The bullet, line of bore, has to rise 2"to be zeroed at 50 yards. The bullet continues to rise until top of arc, thus being 2" high at 100. To do as you suggest would be the correct step to have the bullet only rise 1", and appear 1" low, at 50, and cross the line of sight at 100.
Gobbler
I never asked a question Sir!

A bullet on leaving a barrel does not rise! It drops!

All sighting systems are angled at the front down some in relation to the line of bore thus inducing some elevation to the falling bullet.

Incline the sighting system to much but only wish to use a rifle for short distance and you get the above situation.

It matters not now as the OP has changed the criteria of this rifle from the earlier criteria. Had the criteria not changed rising the forward end of the scope would of flatted the two impact points out over 100yds.

I don't need it explaining to me, I was questioning why suffer that 2" when the user originally said 100yds will be a long shot where he intended to use the rifle :roll:

I give up....put the scope on upside down , back to front and sight it in just how you want.....
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Let's just all take a break and play with a good calculator :D
Sure never intended for this post to cause anyone to get worked up or put their scope
on sideways or backwards.

http://www.handloads.com/calc/
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Just because 99% of your shots will be 100 yards or less doesn't mean you should not want to be prepared for a longer shot if the opportunity presents itself.

The bullet IS rising in relation to the line of sight and the level ground as it leaves the barrel, even though gravity is pulling it down from that instant. Bullet drop and path are two different things.

I know what you were trying to say Nath, it just doesn't make sense to me to sight in a rifle capable of 330 to 350 yard PBRs to zero at 100. If I were using a .25-35 with iron sights I might.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Yes, much like owning a ferrari.
chances are you'll never go 200 MPH.
But you know ya can if you want to and or have a place to do it :wink:
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

This thread got me to thinking about dropping that Leupold a little closer to the barrel.
After some research on scope mounts, I decided to order one of these setups.
DNZ game reaper 22600 scope mount.
I'm thinking with the scope being lower to the barrel,
50 yards will still remain my 0 point. 100 yards will drop down to 1" high at 100 yards.
Will see what happens.
I like to play. :D

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I use a lot of DNZ one-piece mounts and love them. They are not the prettiest, but are solid and lightweight. The only issue I've ever had was the gun's fault. Receiver was not parallel to the barrel and hard to shim that one-piece design.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

vancelw wrote:I use a lot of DNZ one-piece mounts and love them. They are not the prettiest, but are solid and lightweight. The only issue I've ever had was the gun's fault. Receiver was not parallel to the barrel and hard to shim that one-piece design.
Thanks for the info. Vancelw.
I'll give it a try and see how it works out.
If it doesn't work, I'll send it back and put the
Leupold two piece mount back on.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

vancelw wrote:I use a lot of DNZ one-piece mounts and love them. They are not the prettiest, but are solid and lightweight. The only issue I've ever had was the gun's fault. Receiver was not parallel to the barrel and hard to shim that one-piece design.

This is my point dear brothers, receivers or the mounting system are not parallel to the bore otherwise the sight plane would not cross the bullets path.

If the front of your scope Casthalls was shimmed about .020" up or away from the barrel the rifle will shoot flatter in relation to the sight plane over 100yds but be lower at the longer distances.

Be aware that just getting lower mounts may make you crowd the stock more and will in fact even make it shoot higher at 100yds!

Only trying to help. Born from my own experience!

Please show me the results when you are done.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Looking at those two groups. Knowing exactly where they shoot. And trust me that looks fine.
I would leave it as is and just grin.

Gave my daughter mine(1972 Feathweight M70 .243)looks absolutely identical and it is a fine weapon. I mean even look at windage. :mrgreen: Dead nuts same!
That wood and bluing back then was very fine. Bet the action is "very slick too"
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Nath wrote:

This is my point dear brothers, receivers or the mounting system are not parallel to the bore otherwise the sight plane would not cross the bullets path.

N.
Yes, ideally the scope is parallel to the bore. The scope's internal adjustments make the bullet cross the sight plane (twice-up and down). If the scope is not parallel to the bore, you may not have enough elevation adjustment in the scope (varies by manufacturer) to compensate for it. If you sight your rifle in to where the path is tangent to the sight plane (only touches once) you are severely limiting the capabilities of your cartridge.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

madman4570 wrote:Looking at those two groups. Knowing exactly where they shoot. And trust me that looks fine.
I would leave it as is and just grin.

Gave my daughter mine(1972 Feathweight M70 .243)looks absolutely identical and it is a fine weapon. I mean even look at windage. :mrgreen: Dead nuts same!
That wood and bluing back then was very fine. Bet the action is "very slick too"
I'm intrigued by that one piece mount brother. 8)
Life's short, just gotta give it a try.
I actually wouldn't mind having my cheek planted firmer on the stock for off bench shooting.
That lower mount should accomplish that.

Yes Nath bro I'll indeed keep y'all informed. :wink: