SKS Finale

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

SKS Finale

Post by Panzercat »

Turned out pretty nice, if I do say so myself. She's no beauty queen, but it has a nice looking ruggedness about it. The Allen Co. shell holder is about the only addition and with stripper clips, it's a good add-on. Haven't had time to take her to the range yet, sadly. We'll get to that ;)

...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: SKS Finale

Post by AJMD429 »

I think it looks cool.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

looks cool, looks belligerent too.

does that mag hold the 10 rounds in the clip? is there such a thing as a high capacity magazine for the SKS? or a bottom feed?

Grizz
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Grizz,
I have not heard good things about them.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Grizz wrote:looks cool, looks belligerent too.

does that mag hold the 10 rounds in the clip? is there such a thing as a high capacity magazine for the SKS? or a bottom feed?

Grizz

Grizz, the SKS holds ten rounds from the factory. There ARE high cap magazines for them, even removable magazines, but I've never played with them. Some claim that the hi-caps for SKS are nothing but trouble. Personally, with a 10 round mag and a bunch of stripper clips I see no need for the highcap. But that's me.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

There are 20 and 30 round magazines available, but many of the SKS rifles come from the factory with a non-removable 10 round magazine. It can actually be removed once the action is removed from the stock, but it is sort of a pain. The difference in magazines is that the non-removable ones do open to empty the cartridges much like a box magazine on a bolt action rifle. A Dremel tool can modify these to where they become removable. The only real reason to switch to the removable magazines is when you cannot find the stripper clips. PillHer has a 5 round removable magazine for her SKS.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Grizz wrote:looks cool, looks belligerent too.

Grizz
Yeps. 10 round internal mag.

Yeps. Youtube is full of DIY mods for hicap mags. It pretty much boils down to removing the old magazine assembly, which all things considered is an easy process. The mags require a special latch to lock in correctly (thus the name "duckbill" mags) and will not take AK mags unless you gunsmith the rifle. Anything above 20rnds is reported to be unreliable, however.

Nope, no bottom feed that I'm aware of.

Got the sweetheart making me a paracord braid sling :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I prefer the more compact top-feed, non-removable, magazine for the SKS; if I want a higher-capacity detachable magazine version of a similar gun, I'll grab a Saiga or 'AK' instead. To me, the appeal of the SKS is the durable simplicity, and compactness. Kind of a semiauto version of a 30-30.

I do wish that I had a good rear sight that mounted on the action-cover (that far back would have to ben an 'aperture' type), as it would dramatically increase sight radius, and improve whatever potential accuracy I could get from the gun.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Tank50
Levergunner

Post by Tank50 »

AJMD429 wrote:I prefer the more compact top-feed, non-removable, magazine for the SKS; if I want a higher-capacity detachable magazine version of a similar gun, I'll grab a Saiga or 'AK' instead. To me, the appeal of the SKS is the durable simplicity, and compactness. Kind of a semiauto version of a 30-30.

I do wish that I had a good rear sight that mounted on the action-cover (that far back would have to ben an 'aperture' type), as it would dramatically increase sight radius, and improve whatever potential accuracy I could get from the gun.
That sight exists and gets generally good reviews. http://www.tech-sights.com/sks.htm
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Tank50 wrote:That sight exists and gets generally good reviews. http://www.tech-sights.com/sks.htm
Beat me to it.

Also considering buying a reciever rail system for a scope with the understanding some filing of the mount would be required.

Ironically, it looks like the two could coexist with one another.
I know, lipstick on a pig and all that. :p
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Very nice. Glad its not an evil looking black rifle 8) From a distance kinds looks like a British 303 jungle carbine.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

AJMD429 wrote:I prefer the more compact top-feed, non-removable, magazine for the SKS; if I want a higher-capacity detachable magazine version of a similar gun, I'll grab a Saiga or 'AK' instead. To me, the appeal of the SKS is the durable simplicity, and compactness. Kind of a semiauto version of a 30-30.

And, now for the biggie besides it looking great why you guys really like it! Did someone say "NYS compliant" ? :D

Honestly, that looks very nice and hope it shoot extremely fine. Good Job Sir! :wink:
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

Think about the optics install carefully. Most ones I've shot with them the glass sits way to high
for the stock so you lift you're head to see. You also start taking that "simple ruggedness" away
from the rifle.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Here are some pictures of the non removeable magazine that came with PillHer's SKS. To remove it, you must take the rifle apart, remove it from the stock, and remove the magazine. The pictures show how it opens from the bottom of the magazine to let out unfired rounds. The magazine catch is what lets it open.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
D. Brian Casady
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

AJMD429 wrote: To me, the appeal of the SKS is the durable simplicity, and compactness. Kind of a semiauto version of a 30-30.

A perfect description of the SKS. I mounted a Williams WGRS sight on one of mine, works great. I think I used the one for one of the muzzle-loading rifles, I guesstimated what the diameter of the dust cover would be if it was a complete circle and one of the Brownell's tech support peps helped me get the right one. A little epoxy under the sight for a filler and wah-la, works like a champ. My accuracy improvement with the gun was actually pretty dramatic after I did this.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I like it....it looks utile.... 8) 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Finally got her out to Table Mesa today with a friend for live fire testing. Gotta say, I'm pretty impressed, honestly. We only shot what was on hand-- Remnants of TVs, steel plates, bottles, etc, but the thing was pretty darn accurate in steady hands. Minimum sighting adjustment was 100y and the trigger was butter smooth, I kid you not. The mass of the rifle tamed the recoil of the x39 pretty well to the point where it was actually fun to shoot... Minus the pain of getting surplus stripper clips to seat properly. I'm pretty confident that with some halfway decent sights, I would be tearing ragged holes in paper at 100y.

And then I messed up and tried to stick the bayonet into the ground... Which, if you have been to the site in question (being my first time), is pretty much stone underneath a thin layer of dirt. Looks like I'll be needing a new bayonet :cry:

Regardless, no failure to fires, no jams. It did sweat more cosmo as promised, however :lol:
Not sure if I'm enamored enough with it to keep it as a permanent part of my collection, but I gotta say, it's worth the money paid.
LEVERGUN CONTENT ALERT
Manged to get the 464 out there too. Since the SKS was iron sights only, I slapped a scope on the Mossy and let my friend sight her in. 30-30 smacks the hell out of those iron caltrop targets and nothing inside 200y was safe :D
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I always thought the name Table Mesa was odd.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I just threw mine away.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote:I just threw mine away.
Your table? :?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Bayonet, and it was a blade one too.
Softest steel I have seen in a while.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Bayonets are meant to give or break before the rifle barrel does. They should be easy enough to find at a fun show.
D. Brian Casady
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

Mescalero wrote:I just threw mine away.
What??
Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

Looks like a pretty nice laminated stock on yours. Mine has a black-ish stained stock, done by a friend. After some thought, decided to just cut the bayonet off. Its a little sleeker, and did not need anything to rattle, and possibly change harmonics that I was not going to use.

I went with a scope on mine as I suck with irons, took some machining as I did not like the idea of changing the poi, every time it was field stripped.

If you go with a big mag, get the steel ones. They are constructed pretty well, and won't shatter in the cold. Can't recall the name right now. They are a bit of a pain to get in place, until you get the drill down.

Don't forget to strip it down and give it a good cleaning, every time you go to the range. That is, if you are shooting corrosive ammo, which the majority of surplus is, for it.

Gotta love the SKS; goes bang every time, real steel, and field strips with a FMJ cartridge. Kind of like a Commie Marlin.
Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

The bayonet, I just threw it away.