Carrying Concealed

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Carrying Concealed

Post by jkbrea »

A recent post on carrying a j-frame got me thinking about what and how I carry. I never could find a holster I liked for concealing a revolvers. Mostly I've been carrying a Ruger LC9 in a Blackhawk size 0 pocket holster. It sure ain't my favorite pistol but its flat and I hardly know its there. I like carrying it my front pocket especially when out riding my M/C. I don't have to worry about it falling out. My brother lost a .380 while riding. Worked its way out and he never felt it come out of the holster.
I have a Springfield EMP that I love but most IWB holsters dug into my side when driving or seated. I ended up getting a Crossbreed Holster and it is actually very comfortable , even when sitting. It conceals well without sticking out when seated and has leather between the grip and your side so it doesn't dig in. I don't believe they make one for revolvers though.
Still, I find myself taking the LC9 most of the time.
Any one else using a Crossbreed?
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Re: Carrying Concealed

Post by 7.62 Precision »

We have an IWB that can be built with a thumbbreak. Usually I recommend no retention on an IWB, but there are those activities that require a retention system to be totally secure.

The holster I use is more comfortable than other IWBs, and I carry a full sized pistol IWB all the time.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I have a very flat pancake type holster from Texas Shoemaker for my ccw revolvers. Both are N frame smiths with 3" barrels. I had them make the holster a little deeper so when I'm horseback the gu s do not pop out. Works great. I also carry a full size sig 40 Cal IWB in a kydex/leather cross holster that is very comfortable
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

Check out the Sneaky Pete holsters, look like phone holders.
http://www.sneakypeteholsters.com/m-p-4 ... belt-loop/
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

veeman wrote:Check out the Sneaky Pete holsters, look like phone holders.
http://www.sneakypeteholsters.com/m-p-4 ... belt-loop/
I like those !

Have been considering one for a bit ---- its too big to be an Iphone case, but may be mistaken for a little mini tablet case or something

I usually go places where its not out of line to be carrying an I-Pad, so i have a zip top I-pad case that is easy to stash all kinds of things in (but i dont do this too many places -- if i'm carrying it in hand, its still vulnerable to a snatch n grab )
----- Doug
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Biggest thing with IWB is sizing your pants up 1 size. You need to move the holster around some and experiment. Some guys it works at 3 o'clock, others need it further forward or back. I wear mine around 4-4:30 on the waist most of the time.

Carrying the EMP, try out a Raven Concealment Systems holster. Very light, very thin, and they make a gun that size disappear easily. I use the same with an M&P Shield.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

My daily carry gun is either a Ruger SP101 or a Star Firestar, which I wear in a CrossBreed copy IWB hybrid horsehide holster bought for $40 on Ebay. These holsters are very comfortable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ruger-SP101-357 ... 4611309dbf

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I should have NEVER sold my Firestar :cry:
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Mescalero wrote:I should have NEVER sold my Firestar :cry:

you and i have very similar tastes! i have a firestar 40 with night sights in the bed stand drawer. i recently picked up another one, finish is worn, but in great condtion otherwise, and a firestar 45. they are heavy but compact and utterly reliable in my experience. my hands arent big and they fit my hands and balance perfectly for me.
cable
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I carry either a PPK or a G36 in their Supertucks, or a 5 shot 38 in my front pocket.
NRA Life Member
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

I carry a 1911 in the small of my back?
Yeah, I need something a tad smaller, but... :oops:
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
kragluver
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kragluver »

I carry a full size 1911 in a Milt Sparks VS2 IWB at the 4-5 'o-clock position supported by a heavy duty double thickness Galco gunbelt. It works for me, stays put and is really pretty comfortable. The only trouble I ever have is sitting in folding chairs and such. The gunbut bangs into or hangs up on the lower lip of the chair back. I just learn to sit a little sideways.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

kragluver wrote:. . . supported by a heavy duty double thickness Galco gunbelt.
The belt is key. You need good belt designed for carrying a holster. This makes all the difference. Also, a good holster belt will last forever. I used to go through a nice leather belt every few years. I started using a Front Line holster belt 6 years ago. I wear it every day and other than a few scratches, it looks basically new - no cracking or stretching or falling apart.

A lot of our customer service issues on holsters are due to the belts (or lack of belts) people are trying to use holsters with.

The number one complaint we hear from customers about IWB holsters right now is, "The holster falls away from my body and I can't conceal it."

In other words, "I want people to see my boxer shorts but not my pistol! This holster doesn't work!"

The response I would like to give is, "Pull your pants up and put a real belt on, stupid! If your pants are designed to expose your butt, how do you think you can conceal a pistol?"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I use a Milt Sparks IWB and wear Justin double thickness belt that's glued and stitched. Dern near 3/8" thick. I wear it at about 4-4:30 around the waist.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

7.62 Precision wrote:
kragluver wrote:. . . supported by a heavy duty double thickness Galco gunbelt.
The belt is key. You need good belt designed for carrying a holster. This makes all the difference. Also, a good holster belt will last forever. I used to go through a nice leather belt every few years. I started using a Front Line holster belt 6 years ago. I wear it every day and other than a few scratches, it looks basically new - no cracking or stretching or falling apart.

A lot of our customer service issues on holsters are due to the belts (or lack of belts) people are trying to use holsters with.

The number one complaint we hear from customers about IWB holsters right now is, "The holster falls away from my body and I can't conceal it."

In other words, "I want people to see my boxer shorts but not my pistol! This holster doesn't work!"

The response I would like to give is, "Pull your pants up and put a real belt on, stupid! If your pants are designed to expose your butt, how do you think you can conceal a pistol?"
+1. Before I had to "upgrade" to rigger's belts my "every-day" belt was a Mitch Rosen 524. Still use it for Dress Pants.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

My CCW is either in an outside (dedicated) pocket (Winter/cold weather); or (in warm/hot weather) in a Thunderwear groin holster (which readily accepts my 1911 or my Colt DS).

I have only to pull the front of my waistband slightlly away from my abdomen with my off hand, to be able to simultainously draw the CCW from the Thunderwear.

My WIFE doesn't even know when I have the CCW in the Thunderwear - which directly speaks to being married to each other for 49 years. . :mrgreen:

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

So, how does that work when Driving? I'm afraid that every time I sit down I will be jamming the muzzle into parts that don't like being jammed...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

There is also the Kangaroo Carry holster, which works similarly, but under your armpit. Shoulder holster under a shirt. Not real quick, but NOBODY knows you have it on.
carbluesnake
Levergunner 2.0

Post by carbluesnake »

I carry a full size 1911 45 in a Milt Sparks IWB at that 4-4:30 position. I can wear a T-shirt untucked and it is hard to tell its there. I use a real gun belt of unknown make, but it is 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick. It stays where it is put. If you carry long enough, you get used to the weight. I used to use an Alessi IWB. Carrying like that one can get a good center hit at 10 yds. in 1.7 sec..
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Old Ironsights wrote:So, how does that work when Driving? I'm afraid that every time I sit down I will be jamming the muzzle into parts that don't like being jammed...

The pouch hangs free, from a waist strap (velcro "buckle"), in front of sensitive body parts - and simply swings/pivots into a more horizontal position, just like the body parts :mrgreen: , when the wearer is seated.

I have the white (colored) version, so it won't show through lightly-colored Summer shorts, etc.

7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Old Ironsights wrote:So, how does that work when Driving? I'm afraid that every time I sit down I will be jamming the muzzle into parts that don't like being jammed...
I don't know anyone who uses one that has been hurt by it that way, but they will go "Thump!" if you sit on a wood chair, bench, or pew, or "Clang" on a metal chair.

They are popular with women, especially.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:lol: Is that a Glock, or, are you happy to see me.... :oops: :oops:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

BlaineG wrote::lol: Is that a Glock, or, are you happy to see me.... :oops: :oops:

is that your Springfield, Bruce ?

a Heckler and what ?

:oops:
cable