SHORTENING A LEVERGUN...IS IT WORTH IT!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

SHORTENING A LEVERGUN...IS IT WORTH IT!

Post by 4t5 »

I HAVE A MARLIN COWBOY IN 44 MAG., AND AM THINK'N ABOUT HAVING IT SHORTENED TO 18",KNOWING THAT IT REQUIRES THE BARREL,MAGAZINE TUBE AND SPRING TO BE CUT AND REATTACHED,AND REINSTALLING THE FRONT SIGHT IS IT WORTH THE EFFORT? OR SHOULD I SELL IT AND BUY A SMALLER GUN!
DON'T KNOW THE COST OR WHO COULD DO THE WORK, ANY RECOMMENDATIONS?
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

i've always wanted to cut my browning flm down from 22" to 20" . same as u, looking for a reasonable gunsmith to quote me a price.
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

How much do you want for it?
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

If it's the checkered 24" limited, it's worth a bit of dough - about $600 assuming it's in nice condition.

I love mine and wouldn't change it for the world. OTOH, I already have 16" Winny Trapper, and wouldn't change THAT for the world. Both are 44s.

I would say (A) look for a cheaper version for your short rifle and keep the Marlin the way she is, thus having two rifles, or (B) sell it, buy a shooter for 1/2 to 2/3 the price, chop it if necessary, and spend the delta on ammo or components.

Having said all that, I think that octagon barreled short rifles are pretty slick looking.
Chad
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

I like the handiness of the short barrels. Some gunsmiths are listed here: http://www.leverguns.com/leverguns/leversmiths.htm

Steve Young (Steves Gunz) shortened this 20" 44-40 to 16" and rechambered it to .44 Special for me. He did a real good job.

John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

YES IT IS THE LIMITED 24" CHECKERED VERSION, HAVEN'T YET DECIDED TO PART WITH IT.
HOMEFRONT.. I'LL PM YOU FIRST IF I DO, THANKS FOR ASKING.
blueroan
Levergunner 1.0

DON'T

Post by blueroan »

I had the same idea about cutting my 44 Cowboy from 24 to 20 inches and then stumbled across one already done at SHOOTING WORLD in Boise in 2003. It's approximately 19 inches. It made a nice souvenir BUT I don't like it as much as I thought I would. It has a slick action (by Paul Cooper aka Wog?) but I found I liked the longer barrel a lot more. I've been tempted to send it back to Marlin to have the original length barrel installed, if possible.

If you want a shorter rifle, get one with the factory 20 inch barrel and leave the 24 in the safe...or sell it to someone who wants that length and will not hesitate to pay the premium.

I'd guess the gunsmithing would run close to $200; dovetail for magazine retainer, dovetail for front sight, cut and crown barrel, cut magazine tube.

If you were close to St Louis MO, I'd talk to you about a trade or sell mine to you. I'm going to the Quigley shoot in June.
When they said SHARPS, I always thought BIG 50!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have always been a rifle fan. Carbines are handy tools, but never really filled me with the awe that a rifle does. Then I saw this little "Trapper" mdl 94. The fact that it was in my favorite caliber didn't hurt either.

I was told it'd have a horrendous "bark", but... my reality is that I stand behind it; don't even notice any appreciable increase over my other .30-30s.

However, although it's become my truck gun, I still can't part with any of my rifles. I've found this one to be about minute of deer @ 200 yards, and it's quick and handy, yet I still find myself entralled with the potential of her longer limbed cousins! :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Griff wrote:I have always been a rifle fan. Carbines are handy tools, but never really filled me with the awe that a rifle does. Then I saw this little "Trapper" mdl 94. The fact that it was in my favorite caliber didn't hurt either.

I was told it'd have a horrendous "bark", but... my reality is that I stand behind it; don't even notice any appreciable increase over my other .30-30s.

However, although it's become my truck gun, I still can't part with any of my rifles. I've found this one to be about minute of deer @ 200 yards, and it's quick and handy, yet I still find myself entralled with the potential of her longer limbed cousins! :lol:

Very nice rifle....I love them short "Shooters."
Semper Fi
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

I'm partial to 16-inch leverguns.
Had a Marlin .357 & a Marlin .44 shortened and I very much like the way they tote & handle. The .357 was quite a while back, the .44 was recently & cost $130.
Denis
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Depends on what you're doing it to.

I wouldn't cut down that Cowboy Limited due to their limited numbers and are no longer produced.

However, I did cut one of my Win94 30-30's and a Henry H001 22lr down to 16".

These are my goto rifles because they are so much more handy and fit in the back of my Jeep Wrangler like a glove.

Of course, I think I only paid about $200 a piece so no big deal.

...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

if ya want a short rifle, start with a 20 incher that is still in print.

If ya don't wanna invest in a second rifle, PLEASE sell the 24 inch CB-L to a CAS shooter who is on the hunt for one. (There are lots of em). I have two CB-Ls in 24 inch .45 trim, and could sell em at virtually any CAS event I go to.

If your rifle is in good shape, you could likely sell it, buy a round BBL 20 incher and have some cash left to help pay for the work.
Certified gun nut
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

shorten

Post by Hillbilly »

me... my opinion. I'd only shorten a rifle that has a bad bore at the end.

If it is original and good I'd leave it alone. one possible exception.. a later model 336 or 94 that needs a massive overhaul anyway.

I have a 70's vintage 94 with stamped innards and some pitting that I will 'traperize' one day. I am always on the lookout for a beater to re work as a 38-55 too

Jeff
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

To me, the 4" between 16(.25)" & 20" isn't nearly as big a deal as the 4" between 20" & 24".

IMO 20" is just the right length for a small caliber and 24" for a large caliber.

Which, oddly enough, is exactly what I have between my .357 & .45-70... :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I shotrtened one rifle barrel and wish I hadn't done it.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...