Pre-64 1894 build questions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Pre-64 1894 build questions

Post by alnitak »

Finally, after a couple of years of delay, I am going to finish a project gun with a 1955 1/2 receiver in .30-30, carbine length. I have most of the pre-64 parts I need, but still looking for a few items. My questions are about interchangeability among 1894 calibers and other models.

For example, the 1873 mainspring looks just like the pre-64 one (with the "wings"). Will it fit and work in an 1894 model?

Are there other model parts and screws that work in an 1894, e.g., receiver screws from an 1892?

Is there any difference between the internal parts of an 1894 based upon caliber, e.g., will the carrier spring from a .38-55 work in a .30-30? (I'm assuming there are no differences as Numrich doesn't seem to have different parts by caliber.)

I expect some difference in, say, the mag tube follower because of caliber. I'm assuming I can't use a .44-40 follower (and mag plug?) in a .30-30 mag tube...true? Any difference in the mag tube spring diameter (or length) based on caliber?

What about with the locking bolt and lever set-up. Can I use .32 spl parts in a .30-30 build? (Again, I'm assuming there are no differences, but want to confirm before I buy the wrong item.)

On a related subject, will a Big Bore forearm fit a .44mag Trapper (94AE)?

Finally, if anyone has some parts/screws to trade, please let me know. I have a complete lower tang, trigger, hammer set-up (I believe in the 2,700,000 - 4,580,000 serial number range -- the one with dual mainspring and no rebounding hammer), a pre-64 lower tang, and a rear sight with elevator to trade. I can also trade books or the cylinders I have listed in the Classifieds if there's any interest there.

Thanks for your help.
Last edited by alnitak on Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: Pre-64 1894 build questions

Post by Malamute »

The hammer and mainspring need to be the same basic type. That can cover a number of years, and I'm not positive when changes were made. There was more than one "pre-64" type. The later ones were similar to the early post 64 type I believe.

Many screws should interchange, a few do not. Loading gate screws changed at 64, as did the carrier screws, but the later ones I think can be used in earlier guns, but need to be shortened. In earlier guns they were two screws, one from each side with a small stud on the end to support the carrier, later ones had the same basic screw, only with a long tip that went all the way through. I believe they can be shortened to the length of the earlier ones to work. You need to know the length so the small stud is the correct length to engage the carrier. I don't think any 92 screws interchange, but I may be mistaken. If you lack any by July, I can get screws at the Winchester show from a guy that makes them. I may have his card somewhere.

I think all the fairly normal calibers (other than perhaps the 450?) in the 94's used the same magazine tubes, followers and springs.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

alnitak wrote:
I am going to finish a project gun with a 1955 1/2 receiver in .30-30, carbine length
What's a "1/2 receiver" ?

While all M94 Carbine's (model) use the same diameter/length of magazine tube & spring, there are some pre-64 magazine tubes & springs available for different lengths of magazines ( Rifle model's, 1/2 mags, button mags, etc) - so avoid them.

AFAIK, several of the screws are sized (thickness) differently for pre & post 1964 models - most of the screw kits available are for one model or the other. (google "winchester 94 screws")

Also, you might want to check Wisner's Obsolete Winchester 94 parts: http://www.wisnersinc.com/

alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Pete44ru wrote:
alnitak wrote:
I am going to finish a project gun with a 1955 1/2 receiver in .30-30, carbine length
What's a "1/2 receiver" ?

While all M94 Carbine's (model) use the same diameter/length of magazine tube & spring, there are some pre-64 magazine tubes & springs available for different lengths of magazines ( Rifle model's, 1/2 mags, button mags, etc) - so avoid them.

AFAIK, several of the screws are sized (thickness) differently for pre & post 1964 models - most of the screw kits available are for one model or the other. (google "winchester 94 screws")

Also, you might want to check Wisner's Obsolete Winchester 94 parts: http://www.wisnersinc.com/

Sorry...all I meant is that the serial number places it between 1955 and 1956 as far as the year of manufacture.

Thanks for the information, and I will certainly check out Wisner's.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

If you find someplace with both guides, let me know. I got a complete screw kit from: Midway.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Oh yeah, if you can't find a mainspring, I have a spare.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Thanks Griff. Both guides are already installed. I appreciate the offer of the mainspring...it's one of the items left. If I can't get a line on one, I'll reach out to you. There's one on ebay now, but it's from an 1873...hence the earlier question.