OT - I know its not a levergun but.. Rem 7600 .35 Whelen

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Advanced Levergunner

OT - I know its not a levergun but.. Rem 7600 .35 Whelen

Post by 1886 »

I told everyone a few weeks back that I found a Rem 7600 pump in .35 Whelen. I had been searching for this combo for quite a while. Well I loaded up some home brews a headed for the range. My load consisted of WW 30-06 brass necked up and not concentric probably due to the necking up process, Varget powder(worked up to 55grs), a Hornady 250gr S.P. #3520 all ignited by Fed210M primers. I used RCBS dies that came with the rifle. I took the expander button down to .353. No crimp was applied (I do not have my Lee F.C.D. yet). My velocity averaged 2500 f.p.s. adjusted to the muzzle and my extreme spread was 11 f.p.s. Excellent. Accuracy at 100yrds was 1.5 m.o.a. I am very happy with these results especially when you consider bench resting any 2 piece stock design is tough. This rifle presents it own set of challenges being a pump gun. The first round I touched off ejected itself (a combo of heavy recoil, a pump gun, and me pulling back on the forearm). The second round I tried a different technique and tore part of nail off my left index finger. I eventually found some bench consistency and settled down a bit.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I had a Rem 700BDL in 35 Whelan once upon a time. It really liked 225 gr Sierra bullets. It shot real nice with a set if 5D sights. Recoil was fairly stout from the bench but OK when you stood up like a man. I traded it after I got tired of it. It wasn't really right for me since I'm a lefty. I have had pumps also. Take it from me, make sure the mag is properly installed or you may not pick up a round when you close the action. Don't ask me how I know, it is a long sad story.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

My wife's Unlce TIm has one of those Remington pump rifles in 30-06.

It's pretty wild considering theyre shorter, lighter, and can still deliver a whalloping big round like the .35 Whelen or the 30-06. That's keen.
He said it shot pretty darn good, too.

I do like the .35 Whelen round, too. My cousin Bobby has a Marlin 336, (?) in that round and loves it. He likes to pretend it's a "camp gun" and a "beater" he can just use and not fret over the looks of. I've seen some of the deer he has mutilated with that .35, and it sure ain't pretty!

It'll put meat on the table!
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Scott64A , They are very handy and very fast. I will always have a "relationship" with my levers but I think this 7600/.35 Whelen combo will get the nod for much of my hunting. By the way I think the 336 Marlin is chambered in .35 Rem. Thanks. 1886.
Tumbleweeds
Levergunner 1.0

A 7600 is a great rifle.

Post by Tumbleweeds »

The barrels come off the same line as the 700 barrels, and in a 7600 the barrel is free floated. Not a bench rifle, but a deadly accurate and fast field rifle. Shoots like a light bolt rifle, handles like a 20 ga 870.

I just lean against the wall of the booth, when sighting in a pump gun, and shoot "offhand". Works for me.

I don't have a 7600, but at least four of my friends use 760s (the old guys) or 7600s (their sons) in .30-06 and .308 for Missouri deer hunting. Successfully.
OK, OK, I made the jump.
eggsucker
Levergunner

Post by eggsucker »

I'm still shooing the rem.760 I had rebored to 35Whelen before Rem.started producing the pumper in that Cal. Been a wonderful pole timber elk rifle for me, Now set up with synthetic stock and Peep sights,as distance not much of a factor when I'm Carrying this one.. easy to carry in Saddle scabbard.. have NIB 7600 35 W. Now just as backup/insurance. Enjoy-----eggsucker :)
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I have allways been interested in these except we can,t have them in Britt- no I,m not going to try and give a logical explanation cos there aint one but tell me are they quiet to carry as in does anything rattle?
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'm not meaning to be a voice of doom but you might want to check the experience of those shooting the .35 W over on Graybeards. Some have had problems, mostly with new factory brass. It might help you to bypass some problems later on.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
copen
Levergunner

Post by copen »

A self ejecting pumpgun. It don't get much better'n that. Sounds like an interesting handload. I like mine. Enjoy your new toy.
Hanz
Levergunner

Post by Hanz »

If anyone is interested, the shop I work in has one on consignment. I don't recall the price but could find out tomorrow.

We also had a Remington 700 in 35 Whelen. We probably went three years without seeing that chambering and then two showed up during the very same week. 8)
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Those Remington Pump Action Rifles are hard to beat. I just had my Remington 7600 topped off with a Weaver 4X Classic scope along with my Marlin .444 SS out to the range yesterday for their final sight-ins prior to opening day of Deer Season on 6 October. I've also got a Remington Model 760 made in 1966 with a Leupold 4X scope made in the same year and I've got a first year Model 760 made in February 1952 outfitted with a Lyman Receiver Sight. All are good shooters and all are .30-06. The pump action is the only action that is as fast or maybe faster than a lever action. I think the speed of cycling between the two actually comes down to which one you use the most - - pump or lever.
ED
Yer never too old
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Rusty wrote:I'm not meaning to be a voice of doom but you might want to check the experience of those shooting the .35 W over on Graybeards. Some have had problems, mostly with new factory brass. It might help you to bypass some problems later on.

Rusty <><
Rusty,
Most of the issues are with the chamber, and NEF has stopped production of the whelen barrels for that reason.