Unusual (to me) primer failure

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Unusual (to me) primer failure

Post by Borregos »

Had this primer fail on me, I only noticed it because of the soot on the head.
It was a Federal large rifle primer (#210) that I guess was about 15 years old, I got a bunch from a very good friends estate.
The load was 9.5gr Unique with a 150gr gas checked cast bullet, my Contender 30-30 plinking load.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Unusual (to me) primer failure

Post by Mescalero »

Wow,
Looks bad,
did it scare you?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Looks like that edge is tipped-up a bit also; was the bolt fully closed and has a flat face...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Mescalero wrote:Wow,
Looks bad,
did it scare you?
Nope, did not realize it had happened until I put the brass back in the box and noticed the soot!
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

AJMD429 wrote:Looks like that edge is tipped-up a bit also; was the bolt fully closed and has a flat face...?
It was in my Contender, barrel was fully locked in place.
Pete
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I am going to dump all the primers from that batch!!
Pete
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

That's interesting, Pete! Nope, I've never had one of those. And I'm betting it is a total fluke -- some kind of flaw in the edge of the primer when the primer cup was formed. I wouldn't toss those primers unless another such failure shows up: I'll bet you never have another one of those type failures. But then I am genetically a cheap-skate.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I am with Earl, try a few more.
Since I was just looking at the price of primers on gunbroker :shock:
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

Check your boldface also. If he loads were very low pressure theres likely no damage, but high pressure will etch the boldface. I had a lot of primers from major once that 10% perforated on the primer rim just like you have. Manufacturer replaced lot. Would have replaced bolt too, but I was in the middle of competition season so I declined..
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

earlmck wrote:That's interesting, Pete! Nope, I've never had one of those. And I'm betting it is a total fluke -- some kind of flaw in the edge of the primer when the primer cup was formed. I wouldn't toss those primers unless another such failure shows up: I'll bet you never have another one of those type failures. But then I am genetically a cheap-skate.
I will try some more and see what happens, will keep you posted :D
Pete
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I have punctured a lot of primers with my Colt SAA. Other than some soot, I have not noticed anything else. I have lowered the spring force which has greatly reduced the problem. These are all Winchester primers.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Anything can have that Friday afternoon or Monday morning manufacturing syndrome. That appears to be a defective cup. I'd contact Federal with the batch number if you still have the box... and ask them for a disposition. Who knows, they may send you a new box... :twisted:

Hey! Don't talk about me like that! If YOU don't ask, THEY CAN'T say yes!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I had a Remington 9 1/2 let go in my 7/57 with a load I had used for years with no problems. It is the only one I have seen out of 100 thousand or so.
I am as cheap has Earl I would watch them and see.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Just loaded 20 more rounds using primers from the same batch. Heading to the range in the morning to check them out.
Pete
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

Post by QCI Winchesters »

I had a Remington primer do that a couple of times, once with my .577 Snider and another in .45 Colt. Also had more than a few duds with remingtons. I did have a .303 Lee Enfield once, that must have had a similar primer failure. It had a little torch cut across the bolt face. Would have put most bolt actions out of service, but since the L-E bolt head does not rotate, it still functioned just fine.
When you have to shoot, shoot! Don't talk!
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Quick range trip, first two I tried failed in exactly the same way, bad batch of primers I guess, will not use any more from that batch (only got 300 odd left so will not feel too bad dumping them).
Firing pin bushing on the TC I was using was in bad shape to start with, just changed it out for a new one.
Pete
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Borregos: I had similar looking primer failures. Traced it back to worn out brass -- enlarged primer pockets from too loadings and some heavy charges. Symptom: loose primers -- felt no resistance when seating the primers in the case.

how many times has the brass been reloaded?
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

I bet if you packed up your blown primers in the brass cases and the unfired primers with a really nice, polite letter, you would receive a brick of new primers pretty quick.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Ray Newman wrote:Borregos: I had similar looking primer failures. Traced it back to worn out brass -- enlarged primer pockets from too loadings and some heavy charges. Symptom: loose primers -- felt no resistance when seating the primers in the case.

how many times has the brass been reloaded?
I am pretty sure it is not the brass, first failure was with WW Super brass, light loads only, reused only five times. Last failures were with unfired Federal brass.
Pete
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

BrentD wrote:I bet if you packed up your blown primers in the brass cases and the unfired primers with a really nice, polite letter, you would receive a brick of new primers pretty quick.
I may well send them a polite letter with a picture of the failure and see what happens!
Pete