Loading 45colt Hornaday 225 FTX's in my 1892 Trapper

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bruce in WV
Levergunner 1.0

Loading 45colt Hornaday 225 FTX's in my 1892 Trapper

Post by Bruce in WV »

Today I found two boxes of these bullets on the shelf of my off-the-beaten-path gun range/shop. I bought them to load for my Win/Miroku 1892 45Colt Trapper with the 16in bbl. I've read that others had to trim their cases because of the longer OAL due to the bullets longer ogive, but looking at the bullet, that doesn't make sense. Also, some had to modify the button in the tube somehow to feed the last round properly. Will these concerns apply to my Trapper and reloads? I also really need advice on loads that equal factory Hornaday ammunition, preferably using Unique, which I already use for the LRNFP's.

I'm sure their superior performance will be worth the effort to load them properly by comparison with my standard 250gr LRNFP. I just need to work my way through the details.

Earlier thread: http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=41178
Article: http://www.chuckhawks.com/hornady_45colt_evo.htm
Last edited by Bruce in WV on Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Loading 45colt Hornaday 225 FTX's in my 1892 Trapper

Post by 3leggedturtle »

The LeveRevolution cases are shorter than regular brass, The Bullets are longer, in my Blackhawk, the red tip is almost even with the front of the cylinder. My 255RNFP in regular brass sits back further. What you going to shoot them at?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Bruce in WV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bruce in WV »

My goal is to use these loads on WV deer and black bear.

http://www.loaddata.com/members/search_ ... ing%20Data

This page shows max case length at 1.230, with a trim length to 1.215. I guess I'll trim a few cases and run some tests. Specific loads for this bullet are behind the pay wall, so I can't see them. I will look up Blue Dot loads in my Alliant manual for comparable bullets.

Update: The closest bullet/load in the Blue Dot manual is the 230gr GDHP (which is a heavily plated, not jacketed bullet) at 13gr for 1036fps from a 5.5in pistol. If I drop it 10%, it ought to be a safe load and still get good expansion out of the 16in rifle barrel.

Update2: Found an interesting older thread on another forum: http://smith-wessonforum.com/reloading/ ... 5colt.html
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Well, learn something new everyday. I thought the .45-70 cases were the only ones you had to trim if you were going to shoot FTX in a Marlin. I never had to trim them for my Browning 1886. But now I don't have it and I have a Marlin GG. I wish I had trimmed them back so I could use them without having to single load.

Keep posting.....I've not yet loaded FTX for the .45 Colt and I'd rather learn from you than have to break down loads and redo them :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I didn't want to hijack your classified ad, so I'm asking over here...

Is there a reason you want the Hornady brass instead of just trimming the Starline brass you have? Just curious and wondering if there was a method to your madness :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Bruce in WV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bruce in WV »

"Is there a reason you want the Hornady brass instead of just trimming the Starline brass you have? Just curious and wondering if there was a method to your madness "

You bet...

1. I know its the correct length from the gitgo, and once-fired cases should have lots of life left in them.

2. I have to trim each case by hand with a manual cutter. Trading for factory cases is much less painful than overworking my old finger joints. Ouch!

3. I have lots of virgin Starline cases and can afford to trade for the convenience of not having to trim them myself. See #2 above.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Bruce in WV wrote:"Is there a reason you want the Hornady brass instead of just trimming the Starline brass you have? Just curious and wondering if there was a method to your madness "

You bet...

1. I know its the correct length from the gitgo, and once-fired cases should have lots of life left in them.

2. I have to trim each case by hand with a manual cutter. Trading for factory cases is much less painful than overworking my old finger joints. Ouch!

3. I have lots of virgin Starline cases and can afford to trade for the convenience of not having to trim them myself. See #2 above.

You're just not as big a tightwad as the average reloader or you wouldn't be willing to pay shipping :lol:
I feel your pain. I only have a manual trimmer too and some form of electric device is on my wish list. The older I get the more arthritic my wrist gets after long trimming sessions.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

That 1892 will handle just about ANY load you'll find in a reloading manual. Including those listed under Ruger or Thompson-Center. Myself, I'd load up a dummy round in regular brass and the FTC to actually try it in the '92 action before I shelved the possibility that it might feed & cycle.

The performance listed in that chart doesn't seem any better than my 225 truncated cone cast loads with 12.9 grains of Blue Dot.
Mind ya, I don't actually KNOW that I'm getting 1,036fps outta my 20" Rossi 1892, as the day of my tests, the tripod for the chronograph broke... so it's just a "best guess" situation. But... if a 250 grain lead gets 1,028 from a 5.5, I'm probably a little on the conservative side. And that jacketed FTX bullet oughta go faster. Again, a guess-timate!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bruce in WV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bruce in WV »

" Myself, I'd load up a dummy round in regular brass and the FTC to actually try it in the '92 action before I shelved the possibility that it might feed & cycle."

Great suggestion! I loaded 5 dummy rounds in standard length cases, bullets crimped in the factory groove, and tried them in my Ruger Vaquero and the 1892. They fit fine in the Vaquero, but would not feed in the 1892. Looking down into the (jammed) open action, it was obvious that the problem is that they are too long. I'm getting some factory LR cases from my ad and will try them.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Trimming the cases is the simplest way to get them to work, though the carrier can be modified to allow them to work.

I've loaded the Speer 225s with 22 grs 2400. Dont know what the vel is in a rifle, it was in an older Lyman manual in the Ruger section. I believe its a grain or two under their max. They shoot ok in a Miroku/Winchester 92. Havent put them on paper, but no pressure issues at all.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

If it were me I would determine how much 4227 would fill the space in the .45 Colt case under the bullet when seated to the correct oal.
Using standard untrimmed .45 Colt brass, I would load that qty. of 4227 then seat the bullet down on the powder, the powder column supporting the base of the bullet.

I would then run the cartridge back into the sizing die about 1/16" to remove the bell then crimp over the ogive since the crimp groove would be below the case opening.

Be careful not to crimp too much and expand the case neck so that the cartridge will not chamber.
I use a capacity load of 4227 in the 45 Colt under a 250 gr. cast bullet in my Marlin '94 Cowboy at safe pressures according to the Hodgdon site.

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
Bruce in WV
Levergunner 1.0

AAR

Post by Bruce in WV »

Blue Dot load sweet shooting in both the Vaquero and 1892. Shoots to same point of aim as my 250gr LRNFP 8gr Unique load. Feeds smoothly, too. First series using 45 colt Hornaday LeveRevolution cases was successful; trimming additional 45 colt star line cases a pain, but expected that. Only unexpected problem was from the seating plug in my standard 45 colt dies. First attempts flattened the soft tip and crushed the light cup. Drilled out a relief hole in a RN seating plug and worked fine after that.

If there are any more Hornaday 45 Colt LR cases out there needing a new home, I'd love to have them. Please see my ad in the classifieds.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Bruce in WV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bruce in WV »

"Hope this helps."

Wish I had a membership to go behind the pay wall.