Ist day wall hanger dead deer walking.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Ist day wall hanger dead deer walking.

Post by madman4570 »

Guys,

Am beat! Got a very nice 205lb wide 8 point at 1.30pm first day at my place.
Taken with Kel-Tec SU16-B and 86ers scope he practically gave me. Real men shoot .223's :lol:
Another $750 deer mount. Honey, where is the check book ???? Gotta have deers looking at each other in house. Shoulder mount looking left at other nice 8 point got last year. Wife says good grief.

My big lab Charlie,I tell him where is all daddy's deer? he runs over and sets below them and stares at them. He can smell blood and I told him Daddy got another deer. He ran to fridge and has been scratching it constantly. A nice new shiny black fridge. Honey its only a refrigerator.
Will give story and send one of you guys a pic via cell phone too.
I need a cold beer. Lets just say buck went down in my middle ravine.
Went to call wife to bring the SUV,wait no service had to walk back up the whole mountain on top to get service.
Then back down,gut it and drag it out of ravine. ATV would not have helped one bit there. Way to rugged. She did say you need another da## truck. :twisted:
Ever see someone pick up a big buck and stick it in a Ford Escape and close gate. Weightlifting is good for something.
State police went by hit brakes/lights and backed up. After a lengthy nice conversation they said where is deer(I said in there)on a tarp. They went :o They said how do you get it in there, I said just picked it up and set it in. :wink: :mrgreen:

Wait to you hear the story!

Also maybe I might go after bear with that .223 No problem head shot time! :idea: :D
Heck, just slow em down I will finish him with knife. :oops:

Had cuts all over my hands from climbing the big rocks like in the Movie "The Deer Hunter" :D and they ended up all soaked in deer blood after field dressing him?? Found out rubber gloves must have a shelf life?
If I die by tomorrow--Love you guys! :D
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Re: Ist day wall hanger dead deer walking.

Post by KWK »

I thought I read somewhere that .22s aren't suitable for deer? :wink:

What type of bullet did you use and where did you place it?

What are your thoughts on those Kel-Tec .223s? I've never owned a semi-auto, but that one has a certain appeal.

And congratulations, of course.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Cool, grats bro. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

KWK wrote:I thought I read somewhere that .22s aren't suitable for deer? :wink:

What type of bullet did you use and where did you place it?

What are your thoughts on those Kel-Tec .223s? I've never owned a semi-auto, but that one has a certain appeal.

And congratulations, of course.

Ok, Got my second wind!

.223 is suitable for deer if you can shoot.
.223 is suitable for bear if you can shoot very well and place you shot. I can shoot with anybody on here---Well most of you guys I am sure. :wink:

It was about 1.25pm and I did not see anything I wanted to take. I was in one of my huge gorges at top where it plateaus off.
To my left is the a huge gorge with big Hemlocks and Oaks etc. In front of me is a huge Oak tree and the front shooting opened up view of about 150yds Hemlocks and where the one gorge starts to curve slightly. To my right is this is this grass section with thorn brush and some old downed aprox. 100ft hemlocks covered in deep moss. very limited view of view there about 50ft.

So at a little after 1pm I say screw it I need to eat something. Stomach is growling etc.
Also the legs are getting cramped after sitting Indian style for 7 hrs. I put gun down stretch, get some felling back in my legs and feet etc. Put gun down and reach in one of my inner coat pockets for almonds, dried raisins.

While grabbing them I hear this swoosh sound and out from thorn brush at warp speed runs right by me a big doe about 30ft to the right side and down and across bank. Being the knowledgeable fellow I am I think Holy Moly good chance she ain't alone.

Drop bag of lunch, grab Kel-Tec and while taking a fighting shooting stance :lol: kinda like a Kiba-dachi stance :roll: :D taking safety off,turning dot intensity knob forward one click to on and full red position I look like what I assume to be a rabid ninja warrior attempting to get ready to shoot skeet.

In that instant coming at full speed, I mean booking is this buck running right towards me out of thorn brush while very slightly glancing to the right following Doe's path. At about 25 ft I fire a frontal shot into chest. He drops down skidding on his right side and regains back up and now leaves doe's path and while still going down bank he heading not across it but it is apparent he is going with flowing creek direction downhill. I take aim with him running at about 60ft away from me going downhill but you can see he is hurt pretty bad. I shoot him in the middle of back with him angling downward. He goes down rolling down down bank to bottom of creek bed. I see a tiny movement like he possibly is trying to get up, his head raises a tad I take aim put a security shot in him from about 150ft away in the bottom base of his neck.

I have to say two things. 1) For anyone that hunts in the woods those red/green dot scopes are absolutely unreal. Could I have made that shot with the 7mm Mag Model 70,probably the first one but then again maybe not? I for certain within the next second would not have hit the buck going down the bank making a perfect second shot like I did. And if I had a normal zoomed hunting scope, Nope!

Also saying Hey, it took three shots so that gun was not enough? If you say that with this type event you are kludged.
Any gun with that shot,I do not believe would have stopped buck on the spot. I have absolutely no doubt a side shot where you have time for heart etc. different deal though I think that .22 Cal bullet would have dropped him on the spot. That third shot actually many people would have just let him take time and die. Not me, I finish them quick. I owe that to them.

I hate to see game suffer, I know he was dead meat after shot 2 but that is just the way I roll, security shot time. That shot also struck dead nuts base of back of neck.

Do what you guys want, but a soft recoil semi with a 1X wide field of view dot scope for in the woods, Top notch.

I will go out in the morning and see if Mr. Bear is feeding on deer gut pile etc, If he is big and bad enough I will temple shot him with that gun/red dot. I have absolutely no worry that partition .22 bullet will put his lights out. Dead bear walking.

I think the NYS Police first stopped cause my wife had the flashers on beside the road. The guys said, very nice buck Congrats.
He looked in front seat and saw this black ASSUALT LOOKING GUN :lol: with a dot scope resembling the ACOG dot scope.
The big one said,to most people he was big but not to me, That unloaded? I said yes Sir, Its unloaded, action open, and it bears only a 5rd mag meeting the NYS Hunting requirements, care to verify. he smiled and said nope you appear to have it all covered. Other one said and you do have permission to hunt on this property? I said yes sir considering its mine.
Last edited by madman4570 on Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

1st... congrats on your deer. I don't get to mount any at my place... Wife sez she ain't gonna vacuum around a room with those big eyes followin' her everywhere...

Next: You KNOW what's comin'... you've been around here long enough! :twisted: :P
Remember... without pics it didn't happen!

If you need help, I'll walk you thru the tutorial... or email 'em to me and I'll post 'em up... Wouldn't want someone to accuse me of not bein' willin' to help a Brother Levergunner out! :P :D :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Congratulations, awsome story 8)
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Congrats on the nice deer and the great story!

Now that .223 may be fine on deer, but if you are going after bear, remember that bullet doesn't stay on course in the brush. Fellow on this very forum did some testing and convinced me that going after bear in the thick brush, you want the shotgun with slugs. Those slugs stay on course and get the job done, even if old bruin is coming at you right through the bushes, unlike rifle bullets that can get deflected to kingdom come.

Oh, hey, that was you did those tests! OK madman, you still going into the bushes after big baddy with that pea-shooter? Live up to your name?
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Very nice! I did not know you could use a .22 centerfire in NYS. There are a lot of deer in TX taken with a Nosler Partion from a .223 rifle, but they are not 200+ pounds like yours. Good luck with the bear!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Congratulations !!!! Hope to see those pics soon :D

86er , our regs only stipulate center fire ammo for rifle and handgun hunting . No rim fire allowed .

http://www.eregulations.com/newyork/hun ... criptions/
Phil
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bear? .223?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

BlaineG wrote:Bear? .223?

:lol: :wink:

Raining like heck here and winds about 30mph, done for today NY Giants time soon! :D

It's tough hunting them on the ground just walking around the mountain looking for where they might be. :lol:
Can't bait them here, know a lot of guys use certain oils etc to bring them in, not me.
I will either just come up on one, maybe sit a bit and hope one wanders on by or I will get no bear, and that is cool too.

For me it's about just being out in the out!
First day just ain't enough to do me up.
But yep I took the .223 with 6rds loaded in the SU16 of 60gr Nosler Partitions.
I stopped down to see my skinned deer hanging, the butcher showed me all three hits. Went right where I wanted them to.
The wounds they inflicted was very good. penetration and wound channels were extremely good. Actually we compared them to some other deer hanging there that were taken with .243 and .308's. He said by looking at that carcass .223 is enough gun.
I am 99% sure with a head shot or two in the neck bear is going down! I see tracks,scat etc but they are really tough ground hunting on a big mountain with one guy.
Using no oil so my chances honestly about 20% or so???

We will give it a go though!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If anyone can pull it off, I'm thinking "no" in not in your lexicon.....I do hope that you have a good first shot...that bugga is going to be real mad if you don't put him DRT.....I'll want to see the video on that action... :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

BlaineG wrote:
If anyone can pull it off, I'm thinking "no" in not in your lexicon.....I do hope that you have a good first shot...that bugga is going to be real mad if you don't put him DRT.....I'll want to see the video on that action... :lol:
:lol:

Absolutely Blaine!
I will not take the shot unless I have an absolute good shot!
I got off the phone talking to a friend of mine that Guides out in Colorado. He did a couple of my wood floors back a few years when he was home for the summer. He said if it was him with a black bear at my place and had to use a .223 he would lung shoot them.
He said the chance of being attacked after a bear takes a lung shot is quite small. It is an easy shot to strike the lungs and actually with black bears a solid lung shot will stop the bear faster many times than a heart shot.

He said the brain shot unless it is about on top of you is tough no matter how good of a shot.
Using a low recoil semi .223 he would hope to hit the bear with a couple fast lung shots. Then just let the bear run and most likely it will stop and lay on one of the slopes or log roads on mountain probably within a 100yds or so.He said he remembers how I like to immediately finish stuff fast, however this is one time I should hold back and just wait. Listen for the death moan and once that is heard then proceed cautiously with your loaded clip.

Does he think a .223 partition will do a job on bears lungs? Yes!

I am thinking about this a little more and if I feel this is just a stunt to impress and poses a bad suffering for animal etc. I will not follow through using that gun. Though I can outshoot this guy, he has forgot more about hunting and tracking than I will ever know.
I asked him a yes or no ??? He said the following. Giving its you that is doing the shooting and it is with a pretty high capacity extremely fast multiple shot deliverer. Sure go for it!

Honestly, the 7mm Rem Mag is silently speaking to me saying, you fool for this one use me,I feel left out this year. :wink:
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

madman4570 wrote:The wounds they inflicted was very good. penetration and wound channels were extremely good.
After reading your second post, that was going to be my next question--thanks for the information.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

KWK wrote:
madman4570 wrote:The wounds they inflicted was very good. penetration and wound channels were extremely good.
After reading your second post, that was going to be my next question--thanks for the information.

KWK,

That .223 with the Federal ammo 60gr Nosler Partition again did some very massive damage.
Both the shots hitting base of neck and top of back exited the animal. Big exit hole and massive tissue destruction.
The first shot did major damage to the vitals ending up in back above stomach area. I knew when I gutted him his vitals where toast.The bullet expanded exceptionally well and he thought that it had a 90% weight retention. The wife said pointing to a 55 gal drum with deer innards about halfway full, I think its towards the bottom of whats in there if you wanna search for it? :lol:

After seeing the results a human being getting hit center chest area with that round, good night Irene!
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Good luck on your choice of gun for Bear, but Bear can go over 600 lbs easily in the
north east id take the 7 mag, then that angel shot can be made

ollogger
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

madman4570 wrote:That .223 with the Federal ammo 60gr Nosler Partition again did some very massive damage.
Have you tried any loads with either the Speer 70 gn SSP or the Swift 75 gn A-frame? These turn the .223 into the modern equivalent of the old .22 Savage. One book I have by an African buffalo hunter from years past felt the Savage was--based on his experience--good for antelope up to 500 lb :o and that was with the poorer cup and core bullets of yore.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

KWK wrote:
madman4570 wrote:That .223 with the Federal ammo 60gr Nosler Partition again did some very massive damage.
Have you tried any loads with either the Speer 70 gn SSP or the Swift 75 gn A-frame? These turn the .223 into the modern equivalent of the old .22 Savage. One book I have by an African buffalo hunter from years past felt the Savage was--based on his experience--good for antelope up to 500 lb :o and that was with the poorer cup and core bullets of yore.
KWK,

No I have not tried them. The heaviest in the Kel-Tec I have tried is some of my 69 Match bullet handloads.This bravo SU-16 model I am using has a 1:9 twist rate and in this B model the barrel is thinner than say with the A model. Never less would be very interested in that bullet setup and I am sure the gun would handle it.Not going to do heavy rapid firing with it anyway.
I will look into it. If you can shoot me the name of book and author. That sounds very interesting.

Usually going over 70grs to stabilize the bullet one needs a barrel with at least a 1:7 TR (I can do that with one of my Colt Match HBARS) Thank you Sir great info! :D
Last edited by madman4570 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Great hunt. My son uses the 223 with 55gr gamekings for deer hunting. One shot kills. So Far.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

madman4570 wrote:If you can shoot me the name of book and author. That sounds very interesting.
The book is John Burger's Horned Death, available from Safari Press. Many years ago, I was ordering a few books from them and this one was on sale so I got it, too. Burger was a South African born circa 1900. If you're only interested in his comments on the .22 Savage, you won't need to acquire the book. He only mentions it in one paragraph in his late chapter on "Rifles--Their Capacities and Limitation", which I'll quote for you here.
John F. Burger wrote:We now move farther down the line, and consider the performance of the lighter rifle on game varying between the 50- and 150-pound weights. In this category, and in it alone, have I had the opportunity of testing out a first-class American firearm. I have no hesitation in saying that, in dealing with the lesser antelopes of Africa, I have found the little .22 Savage Hornet supreme. Not only have I tested it on antelopes in the 150-pound class, but in order to satisfy myself as to its capacity I have used it successfully on animals weighing up to 450 and 500 pounds, notably roan and sable antelopes, as well as zebra. Two of my closest friends in the hunting business have assured me that they have used it successfully on eland weighing up to 1,500 pounds. But here we are dealing with the cream of African hunters--men who not only can pick and place their shots, but know all the tricks in the trade of stalking animals to within zero range. The Savage Hornet gave all the answers where the smaller antelopes are concerned; its one deficiency is that at ranges beyond 100 yards there is a remarkable drop in performance. A better performer over the longer distances, where small game is concerned, is the .256 caliber. It's accuracy and penetration meet all requirements.
A few points from this passage: Since he likely wrote this book many years after his adventures, I think it safe to assume by "Savage Hornet" he refers to the "Savage Imp" or "Savage Hi-Power." Also, obviously my memory was off; he only gives it blanket endorsement for game to 150 lb, but he did use it with success to 500 lb, as I recalled. I'll assume he didn't find it entirely satisfactory for 500 lb game.

One modern advocate of the .22 Savage for deer sized game is the owner of G.S. Custom Bullets, also from South Africa. He was a pioneer with the mono-metal expanding bullets. He likes the .223 class with his 40 gn all copper bullets. He even went so far as to scale it up a smidgen for the venerable .22 Savage, and it's one of only 2 or 3 bullets commercially available for that caliber.