OT - What's wrong with this picture?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AmBraCol
Webservant

OT - What's wrong with this picture?

Post by AmBraCol »

"Only the police are well trained and proficient enough to be trusted with the usage of weapons."

Well, that's what some would have you believe. So, what's wrong with this picture? My question is, "How'd she do it?"

Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

My eyes aren't all that great and the picture is fuzzy but is that magazine in backwards. Almost looks like her right arm is pushed through a hollow stock too but can't really tell.
ED
Yer never too old
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

Hope she doesn't need to fire that weapon. The bullets are pointed right at her!
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

At least she knows which end to point at the bad guy. :roll:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

You show this kind of picture the the public (there's another out there where the scope is on backwards, and one with national guard troops protecting the airport 'at the ready' without any magazines in their guns (or on their persons), and the non-gun-owners just shrug and say 'minor details'.

When lives are at stake, details matter!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

help my old eyes, but perhaps she has a magazine clipped to another, one inserted properly, the other upside down and backwards, run through one mag, drop and insert the next. I have clips around here somewhere that do that, for three mags at a time, two down one up when you start out. Don't know if that is the case or not here, just cant see it well enough.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Yep, "properly trained"...
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

rjohns94 wrote:help my old eyes, but perhaps she has a magazine clipped to another, one inserted properly, the other upside down and backwards, run through one mag, drop and insert the next. I have clips around here somewhere that do that, for three mags at a time, two down one up when you start out. Don't know if that is the case or not here, just cant see it well enough.
That's what I wondered about too. However, there's NO evidence at all of any curve forward, which would indicate a second magazine inserted properly. No, this one looks to be inserted backwards, although HOW she did it still escapes me. Don't have any such firearm around to try it with or I would. :-D
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I see a second magazine attached to the one inserted that's is upside down, flipping it over to insert when the first is gone... standard now that they make little clips to do what we used duct tape in VN to do.

Yes, the second mag has the bullets facing you, but... still can't really make out if that is a scope or just the "handle" common to the species. Nice to see she has her trigger finger OUTSIDE the trigger guard, good form also.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Griff, I don't see what you're seeing. Here's the pertinent part of the pic, blown up quite a bit. I don't see evidence of the second magazine you're referring to. I'll confess ignorance about most of what these weapons are about, having played with them too infrequently over the years to develop any kind of familiarity. BUT I don't see evidence of any forward curving magazine behind the one that's plain in the picture.

Paul - in Pereira

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I just tried and could not get a magazine to fit backwards in my AR-15, although anything is possible given enough time, money, and stupidity, and our government and its minions seem to be stocked up on all three.

As far as the 'clamp' theory - most clamps won't allow two magazines to be clamped unless they 'curve' the same way, not just due to the curve, but the ridge on the back of the magazine; there are cloth 'clamps' though and always duct tape...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Yeah,
It's too long to be 1 30 in backwards
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'm trying to upload a couple of pics to show what I meant in my earlier post. But... for a narrative, I'll try this: a flat bottomed mag, a coupler that goes around the body of the mag, not just at the base; and most any curved mag would give the appearance that news picture does. Not all police departments have deep pockets to supply the REALLY good stuff to all their officers. :cry:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
CindyLea
Levergunner

Post by CindyLea »

Would the mag be in upside down? The ridge in the mag would make it very hard to get in backwards...but upside down would be a possibility??
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

It's been a few years, but... ISTR that in the AR-15 or M-16 class the standard mag will extend from the well straight down, although the well has a slight upward cast, as does the base of the mag. If the clamp used were of the "around the body of the mag type, vs. a type that clips to the base of the mag. With two different capacity and styled mags, this would be result in a pic that gave the impression that one long mag were inserted backwards. Such a mag connector appears as:

Straight wall mag:

Even a curved mag has a section near its base that is straight to utilize a clamp such as the one pictured above.
If a two curved mags were connected with a mid-mag clamp like the above, neither mag would appear to be curved very much. The overlap might also be very hard to pick out without a good hi-res photo; not newsprint quality. I'd bet the negative or original image for this photo would show the details sufficient to make a determination what type of connector and mags were used.

I'm all argued out... the defense rests! :lol: :roll:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
MikeNV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MikeNV »

Unless she is incredibly strong.... Due to the design of the magazine there is no way to get a magazine in backwards..... I believe that is what the govt calls "Marineproof". Now if you flip the mag upside down it will go in but will not stay there and will fall to the ground once the weapon is held horizontal as there is no mag catch detent to catch.... again "Marineproof". Now before the jarheads get riled-up I'm a Marine...

1981-1985 USMC
1885-1987 USMCR
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

I don't see anything wrong. It looks clear to me there is two mags together as mentioned. Give her some credit.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Never cottoned to the "tacticool" "option" of connecting two mags together.

Some guys used to do that with 100mph tape... and after a bit, especially with 30s, their rifle would jam. Puts too much stress on the mag and it begins to pivot in the well.

It's also slower to change IMO. Much faster to drop & slam home.

And anyway, WTH does a standing, un-armored, not-behind-cover (read, "target") cop need 60 rds of 5.56 "up the pipe"?

Somebody needs some more training. :roll:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Old Ironsights wrote: And anyway, WTH does a standing, un-armored, not-behind-cover (read, "target") cop need 60 rds of 5.56 "up the pipe"?
I was wondering the same thing. Almost as if it's a posed shot for the reporter. :roll:
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I wrote this before, but I guess I messed up somwhere.
I have a Daewoo & a CAR 15 ( civilian ) I never use a 30 round mag.
I use 20's and load to 18, anyome else do this?
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

mescalero1 wrote:I wrote this before, but I guess I messed up somwhere.
I have a Daewoo & a CAR 15 ( civilian ) I never use a 30 round mag.
I use 20's and load to 18, anyome else do this?
For patrol use, I used 30 round mags with 28 in each one. I also used extra strength springs from http://www.sawlesales.com/ . The owner Ken Elmore said that he has had mags loaded for years with these springs and they do not take a set. He uses a proprietory metal in the spring. They cost more than a normal spring but my life is worth it.

The only thing that you might want to stick in the back of your head is that if there is a shooting, the investigators will look to see how many rounds you have in your mags. If you have an amount less than full capacity you will have to explain it to them. When we had our shooting here several years ago, I carried 28 rounds and another guy only had 17 rounds in his 30 round mag (don't ask). In my firearms training file, I had put in there that I only carried 28 in a 30 round mag and I also had on file that I only had 14 in each 15 round Glock mag.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Jengel,
I think I can gather you LEO, I am not .
I only carry these when I am traveling from Az. to my place in New Mexico.
The trip takes me precariously close to the border, I am almost always alone, and it is remote country.
You can rest assured the bad guys are there, and I will die a happy man if I never see one.
But it would be imprudent of me to assume they are NOT there.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Jengel,
Would it detrimental to me to have to explain 18 vs. 20?
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

mescalero1 wrote:Jengel,
Would it detrimental to me to have to explain 18 vs. 20?
Not really, I was just pointing out that when the cops count brass and live ammo and don't come up with the right amount, they are going to ask questions. I have heard for a long time that it is better to short load your mags and I agree with it for certain situations such as prolonged storage periods.

Lucky for us, we had a State Bureau of Investigation agent on site when we shot and he pretty much new how many times we fired and he was present the whole time for the investigation. If a civilian was to do that without an LEO present, it might not go as smooth. About the only problem that you would have would be from the person or family of the person whom was shot. They could sue you for firing "extra" rounds at the client with which you "conviently" hid from the cops. Just keep in mind that it could happen.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Thanks for the answer, I guess they will try anything
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

What I was taught was to load up the mags and then strip one or two off. The reason is if you do a magazine switch with the bolt closed and a round in the chamber, it is much harder to seat a full magazine because the spring is completely compressed and it's pushing against the bolt with no give. if you're loading from the open bolt, it doesn't matter.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Yep 2 mags even though the pic is bad. It is just short of imposible to get the mag in backwards short of pounding it with a hammer. Also the 30 round mag isnt that long when inserted into the mag well.

The only mags I have used are 30's we load 28 the reason is that the spring wears out to fast with full loads. Also if you have a new spring you have a greater chance of a double feed.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

JReed wrote:...Also if you have a new spring you have a greater chance of a double feed.
Talkin' like that, you make it soundlike a bad thing... 8)
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Andrew wrote:
JReed wrote:...Also if you have a new spring you have a greater chance of a double feed.
Talkin' like that, you make it soundlike a bad thing... 8)
Well.... it is if the time is bad. Remember, Murphy was an optimist.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

He was??????
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

jkbrea,
that is where I picked it up also
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

There's a few photos like this rounding the web. The other photos show AR's in upright rifle racks in patrol cars, the same way. It would seem some departments do this to keep the loaded magazine WITH the rifle, but not have the rifle loaded??? This young lady apparently didn't know the difference.
Last edited by cas on Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slow is just slow.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Ah ha.. took me a bit to recall...
(photo looks little hokey because it's been enhanced)
http://www.thegunzone.com/mos/fubar-ar.html
Slow is just slow.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I did not think that was possible
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I bet it falls out when they jump out of they car.
Griff Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:27 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andrew wrote:
JReed wrote:
...Also if you have a new spring you have a greater chance of a double feed.

Talkin' like that, you make it soundlike a bad thing...
Well.... it is if the time is bad. Remember, Murphy was an optimist.
That is why I carry a leatherman on the range. Next time I am on the range I will have to try and get some picks of some of the jams I see.

Murphy wasnt an optimist he was a grunt :wink:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I think there's a conspiracy between the bad guy, the cop, and Rodney King. Ole Roddy needs to raise a few bucks---------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Griff wrote:I see a second magazine attached to the one inserted that's is upside down...

Sorry Griff Ol' pal... but I don't think so. You can clearly see the ribs in the mag, that nothings wrapped
around it. If had a "Redi-mag" mount on it, we'd see it, or it would be on the other side.

I think there's been a lot of speculation (this is not a new story) that it was photoshopped, due to that fact that she seems to have rather long fingers, but then the newspaper would be to blame. I've believe it's gone as far as some people having contacted the PD there to confirm the mag was upside down and backwards.

(FWIW.. upside down and backwards is easy to do. Just backwards takes some fiddling and forcing)
I think the fact that the ribs don't go all the way to the bottom (top) prove it's upside down as well.
The problem THEN is... if it's a 30 it can't be in more than a hair. Or it's an uncommon 40. Ah who knows... I'm stuck home with the flu so I can't do much else. lol
Slow is just slow.