jeep Gladiator...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

jeep Gladiator...

Post by cshold »

When & 'if' Jeep ever pulls the production trigger on this one,
I'm gettin me one :mrgreen:

PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Re: jeep Gladiator...

Post by PaperPatch »

Yep, that'll do nicely...

:wink:
SargeMarlin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by SargeMarlin »

Put me in line as well. I likey!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Well now, that might just convince me to buy another new vehicle. Haven't bought one since I bought my '82 Scrambler.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Um... where are the Gladii? It cant be a "gladiator" unless it has at least one Gladius... (or trident & net...)

(yes, I like it. IMO no truck should be sold without at least an extended cab...)
Last edited by Old Ironsights on Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

+1 :) on that vehicle.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Ironsights, - sheesh......

It'd be cool to have a jeep truck again.
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

Awww man..... ya got my hopes up! :mrgreen:
jeep.1969.Willys Gladiator.jpg
Crew cabs are ok, but you fellas can keep the extended cabs. I hate lifting tool boxes and stuff over the seat.... be ok with the little doors I guess.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
K1500
Levergunner 2.0

Post by K1500 »

Just in time for Tremors 5! Put some Mickey Thompsons on that thing and bring back Earl, Val, and Burt.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I like it too. It's reminiscent of the old Toyota Land Cruiser Pick Up. Ugly in a good way.

I don't like the extended cabs too much, about the only things they are good for is tilting the seats back for a nap and tossing your guns and ammo behind the seat. Other than that they just take up cargo space that a longer bed would give you.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

It looks good but will probably cost like a Rubicon :shock:
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Old Ironsights wrote:Um... where are the Gladii? It cant be a "gladiator" unless it has at least one Gladius... (or trident & net...)

(yes, I like it. IMO no truck should be sold without at least an extended cab...)
Sure glad you aren't making decisions in Detroit. I'd really rather have a short cab and a bed long enough to put a full sized sheet of plywood between the wheel wells and from cab to tailgate. And make the suspension stiff enough to actually haul some weight. Then again, I use a pickup for work, not styling around town.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

J Miller wrote:I like it too. It's reminiscent of the old Toyota Land Cruiser Pick Up. Ugly in a good way.

I don't like the extended cabs too much, about the only things they are good for is tilting the seats back for a nap and tossing your guns and ammo behind the seat. Other than that they just take up cargo space that a longer bed would give you.

Joe
'Toyota Land Cruiser'
Yes! First thought I had when I saw it. 8)
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Is this a prototype, concept vehicle, or a mock up?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

J Miller wrote:Is this a prototype, concept vehicle, or a mock up?

Joe
Joe, from what I understand this truck was to be introduced
in 2012 then 2013, now there saying 2015.
Who knows if it will ever happen with Fiat potentially taking
over Chrysler.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Nice looking truck.

It would be hard, but maybe I could live without a crew cab...

Is that roof panel removable?

:idea:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Guys------I absolutely love that vehicles looks and I am sure it would do the off road bit wonderfully.

However, I have to say as of late--------I am extremely concerned of Jeeps(Chrysler)Dependability/Quality ???

Here is why I say this------Recently my daughters boyfriend bought a brand new 2013 2 door Jeep Wrangler, after about 3,500 miles the Auto tranny had problems(supposedly was fixed)but still was not like new(slipped in lower gears)so that combined with the lack of room(they got a standard poodle,that got big(85lbs)etc.-----They traded it for a Brand New 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.

Had it less than 5000 miles-------the head went!---was told by their dealer this is common because of a new design issue with the new engine they got??????----------------They traded it---------------Actually this time the Dealership---had to make it right!

They ended up with a new GMC 4 door full sized 4x4 truck!
Absolute love it----not one issue!

Now, the only other two jeep deals I know of-------My best friend-------His 2012 Jeep Liberty----(currently in shop Tranny bad)
Lady my wife works with---------------new Jeep Patriot(2013)as she was pulling into parking lot(my wife was getting out of her 4x4 Kia Sportage (runs perfect)-------the Jeep was making a banging sound-----wife said to me(like someone was smacking underneath with a hammer)???-----told women-------that ain't right ??? They had the handyman(maint.)guy check oil/fluids etc.(were ok)but started it up and guy thought it was a rod going bad?????????????????

Gotta say----------Until Jeep/Chrysler------gets it together------don't care if it looks like gold------I gotta have that runs and stays running.------Once Chrysler took over years back------------------thought oh sh##!

I love Fords---but I would want to wait on the new Escape to see if that new engine/design is as good as old one.
If today I had to get a say 4wd SUV------it would be a new left over(old design)tank tuff proven 2012 Toyota Rav 4 4x4.

Otherwise----would do a Subaru-----but they also are prone to bad heads! :wink:

Guys-----I drove that Rav 4(3.5 v6)AWD----is BIL's a lot during a long trip.
The power/smoothness/and how it reacted together(engine/tranny)was nothing less than when driving my Nissan Maxima!
Absolutely astounding-----the power unreal------------------did I say on highway it averaged 30.4mpg ?????????

yep---a new or slightly used 2012 Rav 4 (V6)and you are only going to hear this once-----In that vehicle(would be the automatic) :shock: (course its a real well made auto tranny ------- not the CVT junk)

Ready for this----pull up to a stoplight light turns green and floor it--------and it ain't much different than my Maxima!
Think its rated 0-60(7 seconds, with the auto) course it has 270hp for that pretty small package, and gets 30mpg----- :D
If I needed hauling stuff----hook er up in one minute to my 5x8 Mid-Atlantic little handy 3500 GVW trailer and still get close to 30 mpg.
Got quick attachable sides for it too.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I could fill the page and bore You all for days about My Jeep experience since 2005. All I will say is
"BUYER BEWARE".
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Something is going on with them--------It makes no sense??????

Back when the new style little Cherokee came out (think it was mid 80's)guy I worked with got one.It was a beige 4 door(had a 4.0 in it and a 5 speed tranny)thinking it was a 1985 ?? ------------Very nice machine. It held up well, it had power(torque)and went very well in snow.

What happened ????????????

I mean(I love the looks of that machine)----my problem besides it staying running(in my old age)I have become more practical.
Really(if gas was still $1.85@gallon-------what I consider (the right thing--for me)is like a 1997 Ford Supercab(the one that had the full bench front seat and could still actually put a couple people in the jump seats(if you had too)and still had at least a 6.5ft box(tail gate down 4X8 plywood stuff no problem without half of it sticking out.though the chevy extended cab did have a little bigger back section??

But like that above Jeep--------for probably $35K fitting honestly only two people in it----and that little short box------myself(cannot justify it)
Last edited by madman4570 on Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Used to have a full sized Cherokee, man that thing could climb trees. My favorite truck ever, and it's unfortunate that it was my "learn to do preventative maintenance or else" vehicle. Finally couldn't afford to keep it on the road.

I've currently got a '98 Wrangler, and it runs and drives like a champ.

Sure wish they got better gas mileage, and had more cargo capacity, but... you can't have everything.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

When the boyfriend/daughter got theirs(the 2013 2 door wrangler, same color as above pic Gladiator)he wanted the 2 door because of better clearance(shorter w/b)etc.
Remember them pulling up driveway with daughter having this ( :( )look on her face.They were on there way to the Outer Banks.
Looked in back and basically all they had (that could fit was a couple big duffle bags and a cooler. :lol:

When they got back---------asked(how was the trip?)-----She said that once they were there ok----but taking a trip----that thing rides like a piece of sh## ,boyfriend even nodded and they only got about 16mpg :shock: Course 1000 miles later(tranny went south ??)
They got the extender rack system that goes on back of vehicle(thought that would help)but about still all they could fit in it was their big poodle.
Thought screw this-----------------bought the 2013 Limited Cherokee----thought here we go----gas mileage still was absolutely awful compared(to what we consider reasonable)liked the ride----but then that went south. Engine.
Dealer replaced the head-----and it still had issues(every time would come to a stop,stuff clunked/smelled like gas/faint funny noises etc.) :lol: :roll: Dealer said-------that is normal--------Its a Jeep ???? :lol:

Bottom line------money back on that one after about another month(5 return visits)or----------------they better Lawyer up big time??????????
Was made mostly right and new GMC 4 door 4x4 was bought-----that huge 4x4 5.3L crew cab truck with auto and a 300+hp engine got about 5 mpg better than either Jeep(including that little 2 door one) :lol:

Guys---come on now??

JMHO
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

My mom still has my dad's 98 Grand Cherokee.... nice ride on the whole, has a 318, automatic seems fine, and the full time 4wd is great while it works (hers still does). Once the crazy visco-clutch goes out in that transfer case the truck a goner unless you can find a manual transfer case that bolts up. As I recall there are only a couple years that those were in the std Cherokees and Wranglers before some change was made that keep them from fitting the Grand Cherokee. I've seen rebuild kits for the transfer case, word is the rebuild lasts about 20-30 K and then goes out again.

I had a 1970 Wagoneer when I was in college. That was a great truck, fantastic for camping, and they were cheap because everyone wanted a 4WD pickup or a CJ --- YJ's had just come out as I remember, but new trucks have never been in my price range :mrgreen:

With a Buick 350 and a 3 speed automatic it got lousy mileage, but it was a great ride.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Madman I got the GMC in late 2011 with the 5.3 crew cab. I get about 18-19 mpg, and with almost 60,000 miles it has not had the slightest mechanical issue of any kind. The 5.3 is about 327 cubes and about 315 HP. It will pull the bass boat or a big trailer with 3-4 cords with little effort. I would highly recommend this truck with no reservation. I did not get 4wd as I have two other trucks with 4wd for use at the ranch. I did get the Texas model with all the fancy stuff.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

octagon wrote:Madman I got the GMC in late 2011 with the 5.3 crew cab. I get about 18-19 mpg, and with almost 60,000 miles it has not had the slightest mechanical issue of any kind. The 5.3 is about 327 cubes and about 315 HP. It will pull the bass boat or a big trailer with 3-4 cords with little effort. I would highly recommend this truck with no reservation. I did not get 4wd as I have two other trucks with 4wd for use at the ranch. I did get the Texas model with all the fancy stuff.
That 5.3 is a real barn burner! :mrgreen:

Check this out-------In August of 1986 I bought a Brand New 1986 GMC Sierra Classic 4WD (5.7-- 350 with Fuel Injection)It was the first year Fuel Injection was available with the 350cid. It was the regular single cab/8ft box, two tone black/silver,sharp wheels,sweet ride.
When I went to look at them(GMC TRUCK DEALERSHIP ONLY, they didn't sell cars)I knew the owner of dealership.(Hunted with him)
He told me----you gotta try these.(350 v8 FI)
I show up----you have to remember now-----before this those big trucks had a lot of torque but tire spinning HP (lacking)
He says----pick a couple(to try) :D look over and first one I choose---(This black stepside shortbox 2WD,350FI/Auto Trans)

Pull out of dealership(he is standing in lot watching)pull up to traffic light. It's red------Have it in regular (D)light turns green,foot all the way down-------it just sat there burning rubber :shock: :lol: I mean it smoked the smoke!
Pulled back into lot-------he says you a## ##le(smiling)

Said---give me that Purdy two tone 4x4 ------am thinking now??? Let's see if this will even squeal the tires being a big heavy 4WD with an auto tranny. Pull up to light-----turns green-----hit it-------in regular drive(no braking it/loading it up/cheating)just foot off brake,on gas pedal to metal--------------It burned a 50ft patch of rubber.
Pulled into dealership------I will take it sir!
He said------I have to go to Rochester Monday let me take it(and I will sell it to you as a Demo)------went back Thursday to get it-------all shined up and ready------I bought that new truck(well Demo ?? 302miles)--------------for $12,200

Had it until 2009 (cash for clunkers)they gave me $5500(500 extra had new rubber on it)for a $19,000 new Nissan Sentra(that I talked down to/and with rebates/--$15,600 minus $5500-------------$10,100 (new Sentra)gave daughter to start College.

I about cried getting rid of that truck---had it almost 23 years(It never failed me with one exception but once when the battery went bad (my fault it was about 6 years old)and it did that in my driveway)I actually was hoping the day she left(she wouldn't start :( ----course it did! Boy was I a sad camper!
But it was getting rusted,I mean to the point I was afraid the gas tank might fall off if I hit a huge bump :lol:
But mechanically wise------100%
That thing had a 3.08 ratio rear end------got 20mpg on the highway----yet would burn rubber in regular drive with an auto. One absolutely fine ride. I know they have even bettered my old one---------------by leaps and bounds-----the power that 5.3L puts out/ vs fuel consumption is (unreal)

Its too darn bad Jeep is of late----------screwing it up------cause it won't take long(people wise up)and then------????????
Still have my tailgate of my old truck(the gate is good)but it rusted off the hinges in 2007(keeping it as a remembrance though) :wink:

so,octagon------sometime in the year around 2035 you might need a new truck------wait you don't have the rust issue----guess not! :wink:

God's honest truth------In 1989 took my GMC into dealership to have 30,000 mile service done(one of the things they did was Lube front hubs(mine was the deal where they were 4WD on demand(and to get it out you put it in reverse and backed up like 20ft(could hear them click out etc.)anyhow-------dropped it off, chatted with Company Owner while the work was being done and then took off.(dad and myself)

Got it on cruise(set at 70mph)going down Rt17(I86 now)---20 miles later get almost home to stop light(at exit)look at oil pressure gauge ???
Usually runs 30-32 psi (even warm/idle)-----read 15psi ??? pulled out from light and it went to about 17psi(foot on gas)no audio noise/pinging etc.???
Drive about 1.0 mile down the road and pull into Kmart-------dad says----lets check the oil ???
Normally would wait(for oil to settle) but ???? lift hood,pull out dipstick (dry)--WTF Put in back it, pull out dry(dad says them fools) :twisted:

Went in Kmart------grab two quarts of Castrol GTX----come back out-----put a quart in, check----dry :shock: second quart in----dry :shock: (now dad is on his knees under truck(yep the drain plug is in)----Go back in Kmart----2 more quarts of GTX
Come back out--------pour quart number 3 in (now it is on dipstick)reading a quart low-------pour number 4 in full. The old man says-----they didn't even change you filter(that why its full and the old filter he could tell was not just put on.Started truck up-----oil gauge read 32psi! :wink:

He was pi##ed(I think more than I)----go in Kmart, use phone (Talk to Robbie)Owner. Tell him someone drained my oil(didn't refill) :twisted:
He said-----stay right there(don't start/move truck)am heading down in 10mins with the flatbed and another truck for you to use.
Comes down with flatbed, drives off that black 2WD shotbox I tried out------and this big 300lb guy also gets out. My dad says better keep that guy away from my boy right now or your going have a big grease spot on this parking lot???? :lol:

Turns out they drained the oil (a new guy they hired couple months ago)he forgot to refill oil/change filter??????????
Robbie said------you got three choices----different truck/same truck new motor/keep motor and engine is guaranteed for LIFE.

I went with keeping engine/life guarantee. Never had to use the guarantee though!
Engine was 100% always. Only thing I can fiqure(beside a ungodly strong built motor)was that at 12,100 miles I did the Slick 50 deal??? And that stuff-------exceeded all expectations---drove that truck same engine for another 20 years!