Problem Removing Bolt for Cleaning

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ElGuapo
Levergunner

Problem Removing Bolt for Cleaning

Post by ElGuapo »

My father recently gave me a 1958 Marlin 336 in .35 rem. As it had seen some use I thought a good cleaning was in order before testing out. I found a youtube instructional video and got started. I had a nearly impossible time removing the bolt. I ended up cutting my thumb pretty good. Finally it came out. Putting it back in was just as hard. In the video the guy is able to take his bolt in and out without any strain. I thought mine might be dirty causing it to stick. I cleaned and oiled it well when it was out but that made it no easier to put back. I am going to get a snake and and clean the barrel without removing the bolt for now, but can someone tell me if this is a common problem? How to fix?

Thank you!

-El Guapo
“Oooo! Ya long eared, fur bearin’, flat-footed varmint … say yer prayers ya critter!”
GaCop
Levergunner

Re: Problem Removing Bolt for Cleaning

Post by GaCop »

Can you see any areas on the bolt showing excessive rubbing? I've never had a difficult time removing/installing a bolt even with a bent extractor? Pictures of the offending bolt would help.

Tom
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Welcome to leverguns.com, ElGuapo !

FWIW, of every Marlin I've ever taken apart (maybe 30 or so), the only one or two that had a problem like your were ones that the ejector (in the inside LH receiver wall) had been improperly installed or snafu'd by someone un-versed in re-assembly.

The bolt/lever should be partially opened after cocking the hammer & slightly loosening the lever pivot screw; then the screw & lever can be removed prior to withdrawing the bolt rearward.
If the Ej hasn't already fallen out, remove it from the inside of the LH boltway.

Upon re-installation, the Ej should be held in it's interior slot with a finger or screwdriver tip, it's attached spring against the receiver wall & the stud in it's hole, while the other hand inserts the bolt forward a little past the EJ, so the lever can be reinstalled & it's pivot screw installed/tightened.

Sometimes the EJ (and/or it's spring) gets bent & must be replaced; likewise the extractor band around the forward section of the bolt.

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the fire ElGuapo :D Great name, do you have a plethora ? ... :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
ElGuapo
Levergunner

Post by ElGuapo »

@GaCop Thanks for the reply. The bolt passed a basic visual inspection once it was out. It was actually pretty clean. I cleaned it further and oiled it up. I will post a picture once I pull it out again which for now I am hesitant to do given my last experience. I almost gave up and decided it wasn't safe to force it back in. I just couldn't see anything obstructing the path and decided to give it all I had and it finally went in. The action on this gun feels a little stiff and I don't know if all old lever guns are like that or whatever is causing the bolt to stick and be so hard to remove is also causing the stiffens in the action.

@Pete44ru Thanks for the reply. The lever came out easily. The ejector pin seemed to be undamaged. I have never encountered a broken ejector so I can't be positive. But after I got the bolt back in the gun was ejecting and cycling properly so I presume the pin is fine. I am not sure what you are referring to called the extractor band.

@game keeper Thank you very much! I do not have a plethora, I did not even know such a thing existed. Now I want one. edit:an infamous one perhaps
“Oooo! Ya long eared, fur bearin’, flat-footed varmint … say yer prayers ya critter!”
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

not much to add; a few months ago I was helping a guy at the range having the same problem with his 30-30, he either had the ejector backwards or it jumped out of its little well. Also realize it fits in a slot on the bolt. Other than that, the trick is keeping it in its place as you slide the bolt in. I sometimes use a drop of oil to help it stick, if I'm having trouble.

Welcome to the forum. El Guapo is the guy I met at the range last Sunday, He and his wife came over with a 35 Rem just as I was getting mine out. Both of them were shooting quite well getting acclimated to the gun and sights. Good people.

Any more questions about hunting, sights, or reloading, this is the place.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
ElGuapo
Levergunner

Post by ElGuapo »

El Chivo, thank you for weighing in. Hopefully I will have the problem figured out before I see you at the range next but if not hopefully you wont mind taking a look at it.

Good shooting!

EG
PriseDeFer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PriseDeFer »

Doesn't anyone use a pull through on a Marlin? These things are supposed to be tough field rifles, no? Why not clean the bore without maybe dropping a little part into into forest detritus or the desert sands?
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

In addition to what the others guys have said, before pulling the bolt out or inserting it, it will be much easier if you hold down the hammer all the way back while at the same time pulling on the bolt.---Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD