My 9422 does not like 22 shorts.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

My 9422 does not like 22 shorts.

Post by Borregos »

Just got back from a quick trip to the range.
I wanted to check the noise level of CCI CB Shorts to see if they could be used ok in my back yard without upsetting the neighbours.
I took one of my Winchester 9422's and a Marlin 39A, the 9422 had a problem with the shorts, about every third one failed to eject and caused the next round to jam, there was no problem with the 22LR ammo I fed it with afterwards. The Marlin operated flawlessly and ejected the empty short cases way down the firing line.
Anybody else experienced this with shorts in a 9422?
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
North Country Gal
Levergunner 2.0

Re: My 9422 does not like 22 shorts.

Post by North Country Gal »

Does your 9422 say S, L and LRs on the barrel or does it say just L and LRs? The manual for the later versions specifically warns about using shorts in the 9422 and later guns either had the S x'd out or omitted on the barrel. My vintage '80 9422 does say S, L, LR and handles the shorts just fine, though I have heard of some owners of early guns having issues with the shorts in their guns, too. My 94422 shoots LRs with much better accuracy, anyway. Like you, I'm more inclined to shoot shorts in my 39A or some of my other guns.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

That is very interesting information, thanks :D
It is a good point but I checked that before I started and the barrel is stamped S-L-L.R.
Like you I will not be using it for shorts anyway, just wanted to try it.
I checked my other 9422 which is the Cheyenne commemorative and it is stamped the same.
Thanks again for the information.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

My 9422 is 1972 vintage.
Pete
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Borregos wrote: The Marlin operated flawlessly
And there you have it. :D
InTheWoods
Levergunner 2.0

Post by InTheWoods »

I read somewhere that the 9422s ability to function well with shorts got worse as the company's tooling got older and worn. It finally got so worn they ceased production of the model. Building new machinery would not have been cost productive due to the already high cost of 9422s.

Anyway, buy some CCI CB longs. They have exactly the same ballistics as the CB shorts and should function fine in your rifle. My 9422 loves them.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

My 9422 is about the same age (72/73) and was proof tested in Germany, the barrel is stamped S.L.LR but the S. is crossed out, I thought that this was done by the German proof house for some weird reason but maybe it was crossed out at the factory :? , anyway I of course tried it with shorts and it functioned perfectly, I even mixed shorts and long rifle in the magazine with no problems, it is quite accurate with .22 shorts too.
My 1960 Marlin Mountie however was never as reliable as the Winchester and I sometimes had to resort to prying empties out with the tip of my knife.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
eric65
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eric65 »

I never cared much for a .22 in the shorts either,just sayin :lol:
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

eric65 wrote:I never cared much for a .22 in the shorts either,just sayin :lol:
I don't either... but I shoot a lot of Aguila Colibris, which have a LR case and a short bullet. CB Shorts would be my second choice for .22 cat sneezes. I love the fact that my 9422 and my 39 both will feed, shoot and extract .22 short, long and long rifle just fine. The 9422 lever has a shorter, smoother and easier throw than the 39, but the 39 Century Ltd is a bit lighter. I'd be real disappointed if the 9422 didn't like shorts.
InTheWoods
Levergunner 2.0

Post by InTheWoods »

I think the only reason a person would choose CB shorts over the CB longs is magazine capacity. According to CCI, the ballistics of the two rounds (velocity, energy, noise level, etc.) are EXACTLY the same. I really can't understand why some prefer the CB shorts if capacity is not the concern. The CB longs function better in most, if not all guns and the longs won't gum up the chamber at the half-way mark. The CCI CB longs also have less distance to jump to the rifling, possibly making them more accurate than the shorts.

Most shooters I talk to simply believe CCI shorts are less powerful and less noisy than the CCI CB longs. WRONG!

I sometimes buy the CCI shorts, but always promply pass them on to a trapper friend. The magazine capacity of the shorts in his Browning lever action means a lot to him on his trap line. Having to reload a tube magazine with cold, wet, freezing fingers can be a pain!
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

The problem is I have never seen the longs here for sale, just the shorts so that is what I went with :D
Pete
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I found that standard velocity shorts are so quiet in my M39 I can hear the hammer drop.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

eric65 wrote:I never cared much for a .22 in the shorts either,just sayin :lol:

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.