The mouse from heck

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

The mouse from heck

Post by JNG »

We get 2 to 3 mice a year, weather we want them or not. This time I have the mouse from heck. 3 times he set the trap off and got away scott free. I have sticky traps and decon down. Yesterday day I put decon and peanut butter on the trap, he set it off last night and just licked the peanut butter off.
I need help or the shotgun is next!

Joe
Peter M. Eick
Levergunner 2.0

Re: The mouse from heck

Post by Peter M. Eick »

I have a solution for these type of mice.

Precision air rifle
Patience
A dark dim spot
Peanut butter
A pellet landing spot (trap)

Mix together with a bit of distance between you an the peanut butter and pretty quickly you can have your problem solved.
38-55 & 38/44 What a combination!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I got one once with my Ruger Blackhawk .357 and wax bullets. It was on the fireplace harth and the wax bullet cut it right in half. :o :o :o
My SIL just happened to be there with my brother and she saw it happen. She almost puked.
I had no idea she was THAT sensitive over a mouse. :lol: :lol: :lol:
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I was in a log cabin once with a guy who shot a rat with a 41 Mag inside. My ears rung for days.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I surprised and shot a land-lobster (HUGE Hawaiian Cockroach) in my kitchen early this morning with my 1911 45 (airsoft :roll: ).
The big guys know to avoid the "Roach Motels". :x
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

22 shot cartridge same bait set up as wax bullet.I have sot a couple with this and no major damage to walls etc just a couple little pin holes in the paint. :D
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

If they get the peanut butter off ONCE, you are usually doomed.
Put the peanut butter not on the trigger, but somewhere just past it, mouse will set off the trigger trying to GET to the peanut butter.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

The granular Dcon baits have worked for me for many years on mice, rats, squirrels, anything that gets in the attic, garage, travel trailer, tool shed, etc.
Just keep it where dogs can not get it (that is if the dog is NOT a pest).
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Get a rat trap.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

My kids ( all grown up now ) have never forgotten the time I nailed a mouse with a rolled up newspaper!!
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Someone sent me a video of a mouse trap in operation they made by drilling a hole in the bottom and the cap of a 20 oz coke bottle. They then thread a rod thru the holes with enough sticking out on the ends to fit across an open bucket so the bottle will spin freely. Spread peanut butter around the bottle and make a ramp to the bucket. The mouse will climb the ramp and out onto the bottle at which point the mouse's weight will cause the bottle to spin and the mouse will fall in the bucket.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Or get a cat. They can be efficient mousers. Or not! :twisted: :twisted: :P :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Wow, glad I read these posts, 'cause I thought I was crazy. We had a mouse that could avoid traps and was just making me mad. So, I loaded my Single Six up with shorts (couldn't find any CB caps) and sat on top of the washing machine and waited. And waited. And waited. Finally stuck his head out from under the cabinet and I nailed him! Smack in the top of his head (and through the floor). Ma didn't want to come in the kitchen for a few days, said she could smell gun powder and mouse guts. When we moved there was still a hole in the floor...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

A couple of summers back we had a big mouse that would avoid the traps. I finally put some grape jelly on a piece of wood and floated it in a mixing bowl. The mouse jumped up and got the jelly, but couldn't get up the sides of the glass mixing bowl. Our little terrier had a great time with the mouse when I turned it loose outside. I watched as the dog, Sparkle Diamond, chased the mouse around and finally ate it. The mouse had learned to stay on the countertops to avoid Sparkle Diamond. That was one happy dog when it was all over.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

We caught hundreds of rats over the years by filling a bucket 3/4 full of water and throwing a couple cups of grain (oats or barley or wheat) on top. The grain will float on top of the water. a board (ramp) leaned up on the side and they just run up and jump in and drown. After a couple days the grain will start to ferment and stink. Out in the barn,that don`t bother but in the house it would be a no-no.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I was helping my mother out a few months back, and she
had some mice. I bought the usual snap traps, and the little
buggers kept stealing the bait. Raisins, peanut butter, what
have you. Then, I had the idea to sew (with needle and thread!)
a nice, juicy raisin to the bait bar ( is that what ya call it?). We
caught 5 mice with that raisin over the next few days. Give it a whirl....

-Stretch
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I put a PB on the trap and "really" smear on the bar so they have work to get it off, also I put a glob of PB in the middle of a glue trap and havent had one figure that out yet. Got 11 mice in 2 days with these techniques
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Take the cardboard roll from the center of a roll of toilet paper, put a piece of cheese in one end. put it on the edge of a counter so the end with the bait extends out over the edge. Place this over a wastebasket half full of water. The mouse enters the roll, walks toward the bait, and the TP roll, bait and mouse all fall into the water. End of mouse!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Not only will a cat get a mouse in the house attic basement whatever... A good cat will hunt them out in the yard too...Our cat has hunted up Rats, Gophers as well as Moles... Sad to say though she does occasionally catch fresh young dumb birds...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

This is easy----------------------------

1)get a rat trap----you know the cheap ones from the dollar store(good ol metal compnents) like type shown below.
2)heat some cheese in the microwave till it gets gooey,then take a toothpick and plop it on the metal feed area while gooey and sprinkle and mix in with sugar.(let it harden)----if that still don't work---(use crunchy peanut butter)force a piece of peanut tightly into the notch section then dab some over that.While chewing at the nut part------he will set that off.

What will happen is when the sucker starts licking/chewing at it (it won't come off easy)the trap will spring.Though your super mouse is fast(not fast enough to make it that longer distance of bigger trap and you will get him about mid body and that will kill him.

That trap can be used over and over again!
Just be careful handling it(use couple baggies/also watch out for ticks)even if trap is bare------this year there is an epidemic of deer ticks.Many the size of a tiny dot.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/v ... l-rat-trap
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Had a rat in a college dorm once that could get the bait (peanut butter) off of any trap. H was so bold he walked around in brad daylight. He once walked across my foot. One day i say a tootsie roll lying on the counter, so I picked it up and started cramming it onto the trigger of a trap. It took some work but I stuck the trigger into the middle of the candy. Next morning the rat was dead.

I have had really good results lately with the electronic traps. The mice get fried before they even really reach the bait.
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JNG »

Well I tried to tie raisins to the trap last night. I snapped, but no super mouse. I also found a lid for the white bucket that I keep bird feed in, critters chewed a hole in the top. Well I found mice twice in the bucket (it was in my storage barn). Well for some reason I never threw it away. So I put it back on with ~2" of seed and put it in the back bathroom (where the traps has been). Also I bought a new type of trap that he can walk in and be caught. If these don't work the plan G5 and 6 next. Rat trap and i'm making wax bullets for my model 10. I'll keep you guys in the know. Thanks.

Joe
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JNG »

Retired fat guy 1---super mouse 0
DeCon got him. thanks for all the great ideas.

Joe
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Let's all have a moment's silence for Super Mouse.............. ;) . :mrgreen:

DadsMod12
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DadsMod12 »

Haven't had a mouse in years, but we used to take yarn and rap it around the bait trap. If I remember correctly we sprinkled flour on the yarn. I suppose you could use what ever the mouse likes, the important part is the yarn.
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

wolfdog wrote:Get a rat trap.
Yes. If it's getting out of a mouse trap, it ain't a mouse.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Washita wrote:
wolfdog wrote:Get a rat trap.
Yes. If it's getting out of a mouse trap, it ain't a mouse.
Oh, I dunno - it might actually be too small for the snap bar to catch it.

I once had a little fella that was small enough to eat the bait off the trigger while the snap bar flew over it's head/body (missing), leaving the empty/fired trap.

OTOH, we had a few Victor spring mousetraps set out in our Maine hunting camp, and when we returned from the woods one day we found that the trap had bagged (killed) a chipmunk ! . :shock: . :o

JNG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JNG »

He was a small mouse, fast as can be. Found him next to the dryer, DRT.

Joe
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

JNG wrote:
He was a small mouse,
fast as can be.
Found him next to the dryer,
Dee aR Tee.
(Joe)
Joe - yer a poet that don't know it................ ;) . :mrgreen:

JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Option 1

Electronic Mouse Repellers - One year I "harvested" over 40 mice in a couple or three months. It was fun drawing little mouse decals on a board like so many planes shot down, for a while. It allowed me to brag about my hunting prowess to visitors and was worth a few chuckles. But I got tired of pulling out the mangled critters, rebaiting the trap, and so on.

So I tried the electronic solution. I put one in my attic and one in my garage over 5 years ago and they are still going strong. I don't have pets, but I understand that they don't bother cats and dogs. You can test them by plugging them in, then unplugging them, while watching your cat or dog or lizard or whatever.

I got rid of a huge Norway rat, then disconnected the devices. Then a family of mice moved in. My electronic defense system was reactivated. Gone! Very shortly thereafter. I have left the PMDS (Patriot Mouse Defense System) on alert ever since.

Hint: The device allegedly emits a jackhammer sound to the vermin. But like light, it needs an unobstracted path, or else a good flat rebound surface, such as flat sheet metal. It gets muffled by insulation. You need to aim it carefully for best results - as if it is a flashlight. This device is frequently sold in a pack of 4 or 6 emitters which plug into a wall outlet or (in my case) an extension cord.

If this fails to work for some reason, there is always -

Option 2

Gas warfare. Skunks don't run all that fast, and are usually pretty easy to pick up.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

This is an interesting thread. I learn something new everyday.

I can honestly say that in 38 years of living in our house, I have never seen a mouse inside. We have fields and woods all around us. We have a barn with horse feed. We used to have chickens with chicken feed thrown on the ground and in feeders. Never saw a live mouse or a live rat in the barn.

We have a half dozen barn cats and our many dogs, Yorkies are natural "ratters". At least they are earning their keep. :D -----------------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD