What was the .40 cal Winchester that never was?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

What was the .40 cal Winchester that never was?

Post by TedH »

I've heard several times over the years that Winchester had another cartridge in the works to follow up the 375 Win. after it took off. When the sales of the 375 were so disappointing they supposedly scrapped the .40 cal version. Does any one know more about this cartridge or if a prototype even existed?
NRA Life Member
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What was the .40 cal Winchester that never was?

Post by Pete44ru »

I never even got a whiff - never mind a hint - of that one, Ted.

Anyone else ?

Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

This comes up from time to time. The Hodgdon Data Manual No. 26 has this to say in the entry for the 375 Winchester:

"...Olin also developed a 40 caliber cartridge on the 30-30 case. Had the .375 become successful, we might now have a Model 94 .400 Winchester..."

There may be a cartridge drawing floating around the web somewhere. I think the case was a little fatter than the 30-30. More like the 303 Savage.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

On the real leverguns site, one of the winchester historians that hung around, had posted a picture of the cartridge. But alas all that good information is now gone.. :(
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Yes, this subject does come up now and then. I seem to remember a cartridge drawing but don't have it. Don't know why I didn't save it... :roll:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I seem to recall it was built off of a 30-40 case size, and was more of a shortened version of the 40-72, but cranked to near 405 ballistics.
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

I'd settle for a semi-custom in .414 Supermag! Just that little extra...

8)
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Would that be similar to the 307-356 case opened up to 40? Or a 444 necked down to 40 case?
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I always assumed that it was the 375 case blown out to .40 cal., but that would leave it with little if any taper, so I dunno.
NRA Life Member
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

To me it doesn't make sense that they would base it off of anything other than their 307/356 platform. That case is entirely the right dimensions to handle a 40 caliber bullet. From a tooling standpoint trying to base it off of the Krag/444 Marlin/ 40-72 case just isn't cost effective when they had a nice brass basic that was built into that rifle to begin with.

Ed
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I don't think there's enough base in the 375 case for a 40 cal neck, and have enough body taper to extract well. I may be mistaken, was just looking at the diagrams in Cartridges of the World. Looking ayt 40 cal necks, and how much taper most straight wall cases have, it just doent look like there's quite enough room to make it work. With the 307-356-444 case as a base, no problem.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

The 444/307 case would be a bottle necked cased 40. The 40-72/40-70 Sharps straight predessesed the 30-40 and it's easy enough to see the 30-40 is nothing more than the earlier 40's necked down to 30. Many 40-70 ss shooters form there brass from 30-40, or have the rim recessess deepened to accept 405 winchester brass.
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

The 400 Winchester had a base diameter of about .445" which as I said is similar to the 303 Savage. Also the 220 Swift and the 6.5x54 and similar cartridges.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Heck, I was always led to believe that the .38-40 was the 40 caliber Winchester round.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:D Yeh that one and the 40-60, 40-6540-70,,4082,40-72,40110,and 405, but what Ted is talking about is the cartridge that was gonna be but after the utter rejection of the bigbore rifles and the 375,307 etc, didn't make it off the prototype shelf.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

I believe it was to be ballistically similar to the old 401 win. self loading. :?:
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I did a little measuring on a 375 Win case. It has a base diameter of .415". So even if you had a true .40 cal bullet of .400" the neck diameter with a bullet seated would be about .416, so obviously that wouldn't work. It must have been based on the 307/356 case.
NRA Life Member
TwoCup
Levergunner

Post by TwoCup »

Howdy.

The cartridge was the "408 WINCHESTER". I have a SAAMI spec sheet for it approved on 7-1-65. I'll scan it and try to figure out how to post it. The case is .445" at .200" ahead of the bolt face. That makes it a 220 SWIFT case but with a larger rim.

TwoCup
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

With marlin putting the .444 out the year before,the 408 win would have been dead in the road.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

TwoCup wrote:Howdy.

The cartridge was the "408 WINCHESTER". I have a SAAMI spec sheet for it approved on 7-1-65. I'll scan it and try to figure out how to post it. The case is .445" at .200" ahead of the bolt face. That makes it a 220 SWIFT case but with a larger rim.

TwoCup
If you can't post it just e-mail to me at sfc1973to2001@yahoo.com.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

That is interesting. Am I to conclude from that there may have been TWO different proposed cartridges for a 40 Caliber round? Surely the Big Bore 94 was not in design mode back in 1965. And I have heard that the 40 cartridge we were previously posting about was developed for the BB. Need more information...for sure. That Swift based cartridge is really interesting sounding.

Ed
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Found it...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

Ed,

I don't think there is any connection to the Big Bore except for the mention of it with the 375 in the Hodgdon book. That and our assumption that it would be chambered in the Big Bore. Anyway, no real evidence!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Yup looks like a 30-40 blownout and shortened up enough to go thru the 94 action.
Olin probably had it on the board after Marlin brought out the 444, saw the dismal sales of that one, and decided not to go with it.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Hobie wrote:Found it...
nice detective work!
bcp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcp »

More here:

http://www.armorypub.com/2000/4-00.htm

.408 Winchester Dimensions Inches mm
Bullet Diameter---------------.400 10.2
Rim Diameter----------------.506 12.9
Base Diameter---------------.446 11.3
Case Mouth Diameter ---------.430 10.9
Case Length-----------------2.030 51.6
-----------------------------------------------------------

PTG lists a reamer:
http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com/prod ... hamber.htm

CH4D list dies:
http://www.ch4d.com/

Load data available:
http://www.loadammo.com/product/cartridgelist.htm

------------------

Bruce
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Not a thing that a .40-82 can't do better, especially in a nickel steel barreled 1886. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

If I'm not mistaken I talked with someone on here about 4 years ago about just this cartridge as I was intrested in it then . And it seems to me this other person actually had a Marlin rebarreled into this round .

Worth note back about 2002 I think one of the writers for the American Rifleman took the 450 Marlin case and necked it down to 40 cal . Seems that he had pretty decent luck with that cartridge on deer and caribou .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

You beat me to it Bruce, I didnt check your post before I submitted . danny
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Jess O. has a 444 necked down to 40 caliber that he offers as a chambering with his reboring services.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Thanks to Pat for this...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sincerely,

Hobie

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

That's what I was wanting to see, thanks Hobie.
NRA Life Member
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

You know I kinda swore off "wildcat" or non factory stuff in a lever action !

And I've already done the 40-65 and 40-82 in original Marlin 1895's .

But I sure would like to try this 408 WIN in a Marlin 336 :wink:
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I'm thinking the same thing. Find a decent donor rifle and go to work.
NRA Life Member
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

TedH wrote:I'm thinking the same thing. Find a decent donor rifle and go to work.
The bigest hinderance may be decent bullets and donor brass !

The bullet thing can be worked around if one can be happy with cast only !

But jacketed will certainly be another story .
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Easiest way to get it done, would be to have PTG shorten up the 405 reamer, use Hornady 405 brass, and their 300 gr bullet for jacketed, plenty of cast bullet options available. Douglas carries 405 barrels.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Hmmmm.... 1st I recall hearing about it... but, it makes me wonder if the reception for the "Big Bore" 94s would have been better if it'd been introduced in this cartridge rather than a warmed up .38-55?

I'd suspect not. Are not most levergunners satisfied with their 19th century cartridges?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Griff wrote:Hmmmm.... 1st I recall hearing about it... but, it makes me wonder if the reception for the "Big Bore" 94s would have been better if it'd been introduced in this cartridge rather than a warmed up .38-55?

I'd suspect not. Are not most levergunners satisfied with their 19th century cartridges?
i doubt it :( the .356 wcf cloned the .348. the 450 marlin, the 45-70. the 307, the 308. can't think of it getting any better in a 94, and it still didn't sell :cry:
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

If I wanted a 40-41 caliber in that power range I would prefer a necked up .356. The case is already the right length to minimize trimming.

I think a .375/.356 would be more practical though as .375 is a more common caliber and would give better exteriot ballistics with similar power loads or same recoil levels.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Somebody in Europe thought enough of the cartridge to have it standardized at the CIP.

This thread is old, but google pointed me to it. I came across the drawing on the CIP site and was curious about the cartridge.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Griff wrote:Hmmmm.... 1st I recall hearing about it... but, it makes me wonder if the reception for the "Big Bore" 94s would have been better if it'd been introduced in this cartridge rather than a warmed up .38-55?

never could understand why they didnt make the 375 winchester using the larger case of the 307/356..... that would have been a humdinger! and ditto for the 7mm as well.
cable
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Too bad Marlin didn't make a 7mm on the 338 ME case. With a Hornady flex tip bullet, should have had decent performance.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

There are quite a few .400 (10mm) pistol bullets available but the heaviest I recall seeing was a 200 grain. A 10mm (.400) can be assembled on the 30-30 case but only if one is willing to accept a straight case like a giant .357 Maximum. I don't know how it would feed through a repeater but it should work okay in a single shot.

Some people wonder why Winchester introduced the .375 Winchester when it was so close to the 38/55. I believe it was because the 38/55 had a non-standard sized bore using bullets basically unique to it, mostly lead and FN. There were lots of .375 guns and bullets in many configurations using the long standardized .375 caliber.