Which movie cowboy dropped gun belt?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Which movie cowboy dropped gun belt?

Post by JohndeFresno »

Folks, before posting this question, I searched the Internet for an hour using the Google engine and with various phrases.

I cannot remember which old time Western hero or heroes did this, but in the days before "Gunsmoke" the good guy would drop his gun belt and then fight the bad guy with fists. I need this information for a humorous comparison of "putting on the armor" as part of a meditation I am preparing.

I believe it was somebody in the Hoot Gibson / Bob Steele era, but it might have been in the early TV oaters like The Lone Ranger era - the Range Rider, Cisco Kid...?

Thanks in advance, if you can remember.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: Which movie cowboy dropped gun belt?

Post by Terry Murbach »

ACTUALLY THIS WAS A VERY COMMON THING IN WESTERN MOVIES WHEN IT CAME TIME TO DUKE IT NOW. NO MORE HOT AIR....THE FIGHT IS ON AND THE GUY IN THE WHITE HAT IS GONNA KICK SOME BUTT, TAKE IT TO THE BANK.

BUT NOW, I AM TRYING MY BEST TO SEE HOW THIS IS GONNA BE PART OF " A MEDITATION." MY MIND IS A WHIRL....
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I seem to recall several scenes where Roy Rogers and Gene Autry did that... but to point you to a specific reference... I just couldn't.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
papabear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by papabear »

John Wayne did it in a few of his T.V. moves back in the 40,s
PARENTS DON'T TAKE PICTURES OF THEIR KIDS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES
====================================================================
For Those Who Understand No Explanation Is Needed
For Those Who Don't None Will Do
Member Of The N.R.A.-North American Hunting club-Syosset Gun Club
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

In The Searchers, when Ethan and Marty showed up during the wedding, didn't Marty take off his gun before dukeing it out with Charlie?

"Now... Step over that there log..."

:?:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Thanks, Levergunners.

I'll check out Wayne and Autry and Rogers. The episodes that I remember employed something really active, like chasing the bad guy, jumping onto his horse and bringing him down from a gallop, and then stripping down to basic garments and doing the ol' Marquis of Queensbury rules with a cattle rustler or murderer.

The meditation? It's a lead-in for the Pastor's sermon this next week, starting a series on "Heroes of the Bible." Our pre-sermon meditations focus on the Communion and its meaning, and/or our state of mind going into it. It's nice to create a seque for the sermon. Thus - "I remember how [Lance Sterling], an early hero of mine, used to chase down the malefactor, jumping onto the hombre's horse and tumbling with him to the ground, and then, of course, stripping off his gun belt for a fair fist fight with the bad guy..." tongue-in-cheek

"...That seemed to work for him; but while facing the true enemy, it seems more sensible to me to put on the Armor of God....." [scripture] "...and we can only do that by keeping our eyes on Jesus and remembering..." then brief talk about the purpose of the Communion. Etc.

There; you still need to come to church to hear the sermon.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I remember seeing it too a number of times. Which movie and actor was it that said, "The rules are, there is no rules!" And proceeded to beat the heck out of someone.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Dropping the gun belts before a fist fight occurs quite often in Louis L'Amour novels, including the latest one I just read.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

In Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, IIRC Paul Newman (Butch Cassidy) did that when he beat the snot outta Ted Cassidy (Harvey Logan), when he was challenged to a knife fight for the leadership of the gang.

But Newman/Butch suckered Ted/Harvey................ :roll:

harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Booger Bill wrote:I remember seeing it too a number of times. Which movie and actor was it that said, "The rules are, there is no rules!" And proceeded to beat the heck out of someone.
That would be Wayne and William Holden in the movie about the northern troops march thru the south. Holden was a doctor.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Brett Maverick and the Sheriff drop their belts and go at it over a woman in, I think, the pilot for the series. One of the first episode for sure.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

As a teenager my best friend was as wild as they get. He`s dead now. We were working in a cannery. He got fired and wasnt suppose to come around but did to see me. There was a huge old watchman that probley was 6ft 6"s and abot 375 lbs. Larry was a wirey runt but built like a trapese artist and would fight a buzz saw. The watchman came up and throtteled him and larry was gasping for air. Larry got out, let me take my glass`s off and I will fight ya! The old cop made the mistake of releasing him and thats what larry was waiting for. I saw him bury his fist right up to his elbow in the watchmans gut! With that he was gone in the dark. Larry was a real case. Actualy he became a preacher for awhile but I think the church had to eventualy oust him. Another time he was driveing to get a job from northern mighigan to illinois where other close friend had him lined up for a job interview where he worked for chrysler. As usual he was traveling almost stone broke. He stopped at a gas and convienace station. Larry bought some baloney and a loaf of bread. The clerk told him he was something like 80 cents short. Larry was busted, opened up the loaf of bread took a handfull out, shoved the rest of the loaf back to the clerk and said that should take care of it! They got in a fist fight over it! Another time I went home and he looked me up. In those days we both were about 40 years old. He sort of kidnapped me and soon we were driving down a snowmobile and hikeing trail of a once old abanded railroad track. His blazer was a no-no. He was laughing like a idiot as we bounced over some peoples back yards while they were BBQing! I am yelling for him to stop! He got me in trouble everytime I went home to visit my folks. He was a legend.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Booger Bill,

Yours takes the cake. :lol:

It reminded me about a story of an old ram that Mark Twain wrote about. I think you'd like to read it, too - it's a very short story and worth downloading from here:
https://www.box.com/s/4el1kvv4xtg4mnp45vnr

Regards -
John
redlevel42
Levergunner 2.0

Post by redlevel42 »

JohndeFresno wrote:
"...That seemed to work for him; but while facing the true enemy, it seems more sensible to me to put on the Armor of God....."

It is one of my favorite passages. I wrote my Masters Thesis about my GrGrGrandfather and other Confederate Veterans who came back to Georgia and were instrumental in establishing a couple of Southern Baptist Churches. The title was Shield of Faith, taken from this passage from the 6th Chapter of Ephesians:

13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;

15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;

16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
Georgia On My Mind
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

The last time I seen larry was about 8 years ago. I took my new wife theresa back to wisconsin. We got a motel near relatives. Its a small town and larry showed up. He needed me just for a hour or so as he said he stuck his old blazer in the woods nearby. My wife had heard many larry storys from me and another friend. She was aprehensive when I left. First thing I see is no tresspassing signs. This is in woods very close to a subdivision and I can see people walking around their back yards not 70 yards away. Why and how larry got that blazer stuck in the woods where there wasnt a trail was beyound belief, but he always thought he was daniel boon and more often than not would sleep in the woods he and his poor long suffering wife got into it which must have been several times a week. Larry had tried to camafloge his blazer with branchs he had chopped. It took awhile but I did get him out. I wouldnt ride out with him though as I figuered that the town police might well be waiting at about the only hole in the fence. I legged it back through the woods a different direction.
About a day or two later he come back and wanted me to go and talk to a distant relative of mine to "get his canue back".
It seems he had hid a canue in my remote relatives field, again had covered it up with branchs and the guy wouldnt give him his canue back! I had left the area over 40 years prior and knew the farmer probley was a third cousin or so of mine. No dice, larry! It seemed his mind had frozzen at 15 years old when we used to run around together! I think he was on a first name basis with every warden and cop in the area! Poor guy died about 5 years ago of a cancer. I think after our church ousted him he got ordained by jimmy swaggert.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Booger Bill wrote:The last time I seen larry was about 8 years ago... It seemed his mind had frozzen at 15 years old when we used to run around together! I think he was on a first name basis with every warden and cop in the area! ...I think after our church ousted him he got ordained by jimmy swaggert.
Literally laughing out loud. Is all this fer real, BB? Very funny.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Every word of it, at least from my prospective. A little background. His mother pretty much raised him and I think 8 brothers and one sister pretty much alone in between at least two husbands and many boyfriends. I belive they had quite a bit of indian in them. Every day was a wild drama in the family. Somehow larry and another brother started comeing to the church I was brought up in. They both became very fervent christians. Both went off to bible school and were preachers on and off. The family of course were very poor and some poaching was involved to sustain life. All of them were very wiry built like acorobats. At least 4 of them were window washers on high rises. Two of them fell to their deaths about 20 years apart. Once one of them accidently shot another brother with a shotgun just above the heart and he lived! They ended up scattered all over the states. Most of the time I doubt if they knew where half of them lived but once in awhile one would drop in from nowhere. Way back I belive the family was originaly from kentucky and ended up comeing to northern wisconsin to harvest cranberries and pick and sell medicinal herbs etc in the woods. Once when I lived in california I went to my house and saw a car with wisconsin license plates in my driveway. I hadnt seen larry at that time probley in over 10 years or so. He, his wife and 4 kids were cooking and makeing themselves at home! I didnt have a hint that they were comeing west! Most of the boys got in trouble at one time or another. They had a beautful blond sister that was the secound youngest. She and one brother, the youngest had blond hair, so did larry but all the rest had jet black hair and were dark as any indians. The girl and I ran around together some when I was a teen. Dhe looked just like elley mae on the beverly hillbillys. She even had the same name! She became a lawyer in california. All the rest didnt fare so well as far as I know. The family once rented a old farm house. Once I seen one brother chase the other by swinging hand over hand on that hay track that is on the very top peak under the roof in the barn. It looked like a certain death fall of 35 feet if your hand slipped! Another time I was over there I and larry and another brother were going to go out shooting. The brother shot a 30-30 under my foot and the concusion stung the bottom of my foot and knocked my foot in the air! I think he said, dance! I took umberance at that and shot the heel of his boot off! I had a winchester 61 .22 and could thread a needle with it back then when we were 16. My dad would have killed me if he knew that one! Thats the way it went with that family!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

You definitely have the stories, BB.
papabear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by papabear »

Booger Bill wrote:I remember seeing it too a number of times. Which movie and actor was it that said, "The rules are, there is no rules!" And proceeded to beat the heck out of someone.
it was "The Horse Soldiers "
PARENTS DON'T TAKE PICTURES OF THEIR KIDS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES
For Those Who Understand No Explanation Is Needed
For Those Who Don't None Will Do
Member Of The N.R.A.-North American Hunting club-Syosset Gun Club