Providence/Lyman #21 receiver sight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Irascible
Levergunner 1.0

Providence/Lyman #21 receiver sight

Post by Irascible »

I saw an ad in the Black Powder Cartridge News for a newly manufactured Lyman, Model 21, receiver sight for the 1895. www.peabodyrifles.com Has anybody used or at least seen one of these in person? What can you tell me about it? For $125 it's about 1/3 the price of other reproductions I've seen, but is it quality or junk?
Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be - Abe Lincoln
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Haven't seen one of those, but I'ld imagine with out having to fit the screws, and all the gizmo that goes with the windgauge adjustment, the manufacturing time/cost is a good bit less.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

I just bought one from Buffalo Arms for my Browning 95. It's enroute and I'll post some pics and impressions once it arrives at the homestead. I dont trust myself to do the drill and tap routine on such a beautiful rifle so I'll be dropping it off at my local 'smith.

Stay tuned.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

This site led to sale of said sight by Buffalo Arms. I saw mention of sight here, called the nice guy there who makes them, he is quite pleasant to chat with, called Buffalo Arms to see if the Hungarian sights were anywhere on the horizon...ordered the cheaper one and told the folks at Buffalo Arms about the nice man... suggeted if they did sell his sights I would love a commision as a sort of finders fee...gave them his phone number after getting his permission...the rest seems to be history, guess my check is still in the mail :D :( Anyway got the sight on my Browning 1895 now and will test it this weekend.
Irascible
Levergunner 1.0

Windage adjustment on Lyman 21

Post by Irascible »

It's too bad there is no contact on Providence's web sight. I'd like to know how the windage is adjusted, if there is a windage adjustment.
Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be - Abe Lincoln
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Irascible, it shore looks to Me like it is windage adjustible.look at the picture from the top.Jim.
http://www.peabodyrifles.com/id2.html
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

On the model 21 sight you have to drift the peep left or right, like you would a regular front sight.
THe 38 sight is a windguage sight where you just turn the wheel to move the peep left or right.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

I'm thinking real hard about one of these. The lack of windage adjustability doesn't bother me. In fact, I rather prefer it. One less knob to screw things up. Also going to look into a small knurled knob to replace the lever that can and has got knocked lose and off zero while carrying and caused elevated blood pressure during a hunt. If the finish is a little rough, I'll polish and maybe have it CCHed.