Nylon 66s

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Nylon 66s

Post by dennie »

I went to an auction/yard sale today. A fellow there had 3 different nylon 66s. One was the black/chrome for $500, a brown/blue one for $400 and another that had a sorta green stock and different looking metal, and supposedly unfired. It had a short magazine instead of feeding thru the stock. $400 for this one also. All 3 looked to be in excellent condition. I debated for quite a while on buying 1 or 2 of them, but finally walked away. Did I screw up? What are these going for where you'uns live? This auction is a weekly thing in the summer, so they may be there again next Wednesday.
Thanx for comments.
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Nylon 66s

Post by geobru »

From what I have seen in the last year, $275 to $325. I am no expert with them, but for nice guns that is the range I have seen. $400 to $500 seems way high IMHO.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

While the others were a bit overpriced, that (1970-71) Seneca Green (color) Model 77 (detachable magazine) is worth over $650 if it was rust-free.

FWIW, I sold my Seneca Green Model 66 (tube magazine) for $600, over 6 years ago.

Concho
Levergunner

Post by Concho »

I have never understood the facination with the nylon 66. But then again, I prefer mine clad in wood, preferably walnut.
loose your temper, and you loose a friend, lie and you loose yourself.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

The Nylon 66......the only semi-auto you never want to disassemble because you'll go insane trying to put it back together. Definitely designed as a "disposable" firearm.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

About 15 years ago I bought a Nylon 76 a guy was selling because he had several and this was the roughest one. Chip out of the butt plate and some pitting on the receiver cover. I paid the princely sum of $185 and thought I might have been a little crazy. But since have turned down $400 and $450. What's a Nylon 76? A LEVER! Still kicking myself for not buying a green bolt action NIB, with all the hang tags and papers. At a yard sale and priced at $250. After all, I only paid $30 for my 511-X when it was brand new, and it has a pretty walnut stock. Sometimes even I am amazed at the depths of my stupidity.

These guns are the '59-60 Chevies of the gun world. Ignored and ridiculed at the time because of their appearance, but now timeless classics because of their rarity. My brother still swears his Nylon 66 is the most accurate .22 he's ever owned. He just hasn't had a 511.

Post by Pete44ru »

My Nylon 66 was accurate enough, for what it was used for - the arcane sport of dump rat shooting. :mrgreen:

The ranges were in feet, not yards, so I had the open rear sight cranked all the way down !

My pals & I only gave it up when other dump rat shooters started standing at the bottom of the refuse pit :roll: , and were shooting upwards towards the rats (and us :shock: ) .

1894c

Post by 1894c »

I owned one for a couple of years, it was OK, my first contact with plastic guns, but in the end I let it go...what I did like was the Remington Ads where 1,000's of wooden blocks would be piled up and a smiling guy would proclaim the virtues of the 66... :)
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

30wcf wrote:I owned one for a couple of years, it was OK, my first contact with plastic guns, but in the end I let it go...what I did like was the Remington Ads where 1,000's of wooden blocks would be piled up and a smiling guy would proclaim the virtues of the 66... :)
I liked that one with the Eskimos and the 66....Neither snow, nor, ice, etc etc.....always wondered how it stacked up against polar bears :twisted:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Concho wrote:I have never understood the facination with the nylon 66. But then again, I prefer mine clad in wood, preferably walnut.

I'll agree to that. I remember they came out and I was just a kid. They did not excite me then and still don't. Trigger pulls are terrible. That sheet metal receiver really turned me off. I must have turned down several dozen of them over the years and I could have had them for a c-note.---------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I had a few of the 66s. Turned me off when I scoped one with the mounts clamped to the top of that sheet metal cover. Never would hold a zero. Would have been alright with a mount like the browning take-down 22s, screwed to the barrel and swoops back over the receiver.

They are super tuff. I had one in the back window gun rack of my pickup when I felled a big oak tree on it. (Vision obscured by a Coors can.) The Nylon 66 survived just fine. Truck didn't.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Pete beat me to it on the Seneca 77. I need one to add to my collection, green is the only color I don't have. Although I have a 77, I'd take anything in seneca.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

Thanx for the replies. I always thought they looked pretty cool. Guess I won't go outta my way to get one next week. Today I stopped by the LGS and they had a Marlin lever action .410 that looked like new. Asking $625 and would not budge from that. I didn't get the model number but it had a pistol grip stock and cross bolt safety. May have checked further if I didn't already have a Win. M9410 Packer that I rarely ever shoot.
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Definitely a very nostalgic gun but even as a kid I had the same impression I did with the first triangular forend AR-15's I saw. Looked 'cheap'. I guess they were kind of like a Glock pistol though because they seemed very reliable no matter how much you abused them.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

They did make a lever action version I think...???
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I saved 3 bucks a week until I had the 54.00 dollars for a Nylon 77. My dad wouldn't let me buy a 66 because he said he wanted me to be able to pull the clip to empty it.
All I ever saw was the pictures in the mags advertising them and when I first saw it I thought that is one ugly rifle. I couldn't back out after saving so long and it did everthing a 22 should do for close to 100000 rounds I think.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

I had a 66 that went over 20 years without cleaning. The only time it malfunctioned was because of a bad primer in a round. When I finally cleaned it there was powder residue caked in the receiver. As my dear old Daddy used to say "that thing ran like a sewing machine." They are light as a feather at 4lbs and you can carry it all day.

The stamped metal receiver cover doesn't make a very stable base for a scope, as mentioned earlier, so it is best used with open sights.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

dennie,

This site has some information on the Nylon rifles:

http://www.nylonrifles.com/wp/documents/

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

My first one was a "Black Diamond" 66, black stock with blued barrel and receiver cover. I still don't know what possessed me to let it go. My last one was a green 77 with what looked like a parkerized finish I bought at a K-Mart in the 80s. My oldest son has that one now. The only thing I didn't care much for on the Nylons was that thick blade front sight. It always seemed to cover up a lot of what I was shooting at. But darn could those things shoot and keep going forever... The only problem I ever had out of one was with that 77. Darn clips kept coming apart.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

44-40 Willy wrote:The only thing I didn't care much for on the Nylons was that thick blade front sight. It always seemed to cover up a lot of what I was shooting at.
Not a target rifle, for sure. I never could not get used to that plastic trigger. It seemed like it had about a 10 lb pull. But it was tough and reliable. If I had to depend on a semi-auto as a survival gun, the Nylon 66 would be it. My other choice would be a Henry lever .22 LR or Steve's Gunz Rossi 92 in .357 Mag.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
klhill
Levergunner 2.0

Post by klhill »

Local shop has one that has gone unsold for several months at $359. As a kid in the 60's I was the envy of the neighborhood with my 10-22 compared to their Nylon 66 and Marlin 60's.The light weight of the Remington was nice though!
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I have one I bought bran spankin new in the early 70's. I still have the box, receipt, and all the paperwork. Black and chrome. Love that thing. I don't really understand the appeal I have because I have always liked wood, but that thing has been a great rifle and dependable as the day is long. And accurate enough to put more squirrels in my belly than I can count. They have become collectable and some people are asking crazy prices. I've thought about collecting all the different combinations of all the nylon models but I'd have a bunch of money tied up if I did. I'll just keep what I have and be happy knowing I have a great peice of my childhood to pass along to my son someday.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Even though it makes absolutely no sense, I swear my Nylon 66 is one one of the quietest .22's I've ever shot. :?:
Slow is just slow.