.44 Mag Lever Gun Loads

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
WyoShooter
Levergunner

.44 Mag Lever Gun Loads

Post by WyoShooter »

I worked up some hand loads, 240 gr. lead cast SWC for my .44 mag pistol, Ruger SBH with a 5-1/2" barrel. Ran them through the chronograph and they are a comfortable 1250 fps. After testing my loads, I fired some factory PMC Bronze also in 240 gr. and those chrono at around 1400 fps.
I am curious if I run this factory PMC ammo through my Winchester 94AE Trapper 16" barrel, the velocity increases with the barrel length and pushing 1400 fps out of a handgun with a 5 1/2" barrel is plenty fast. Without knowing what the velocity would be without actually firing these out of my lever gun, what velocities are safe to shoot out of my Winchester?
I plan on loading some 240 and 300 gr. Hornady XTP's for a hunting round for the lever gun and looking for close to a max load for the Winchester 94AE. How fast can I go for this gun?
"In the beginning of a change the Patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .44 Mag Lever Gun Loads

Post by 6pt-sika »

For a Marlin 1894P and a couple Marlin 336-44's I loaded the following .

Ranch Dog 432-240GC with 25 grains H-110
Ranch Dog 432-265GC with 23 grains H-110
Ranch Dog 432-300GC with 21 grains H-110

All three of those shot well in the 336-44 and the 265 and 300 shot well in the 1894P I had gotten rid of it before RD made the 240 grainer . Incidently the 1894P has a 16 1/2" barrel .

All those loads were to stout for shooting in the old circa 1957 Ruger Blackhawk 44 MAG I had and my old S&W 629 4" that I also no longer had . Not to hot for the Ruger to handle but a bit to much to shoot comfortably in that gun . Kept banging up the knuckle on my middle finger on my shooting hand .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I get good results with Winchester 'White Box' 240 gr Soft Points and if I recall they run around 1800 fps from my 20" Marlin (I am not at home to look in my reload data so that could be off). Anyway, whatever they were running, I used 2400 powder and 240 gr JSP's and titrated up from I think 17.5 grains to 21 grains (whatever the load manual I had said), and got a "factory duplication" around 19.5 or so grains. Anyway, my point to your original question is not the details or numbers, but that I then shot that same load in my Ruger Super Blackhawk and they were 'stout' but manageable. Not too long after that I installed a Bisley grip frame on the gun and the loads became 'pussycats' out of the same revolver.

I doubt that anything remotely pleasant to shoot out of a handgun would be 'excessive' for the rifle, pressure-wise, presuming that you stay within the reloading component manufacturer's recommended load data. The BIG question is what loads will be most ACCURATE, so I'd suggest loading say ten of each powder increment you find safe and manageable in your revolver, and heading to the range. The most powerful load may in fact be your most accurate (I think that happens often with 44 Mag), but if not, no point in loading up a bunch of them if a couple tenth's of a grain less powder would have made better and more accurate loads.

I'm not a good enough shot with a handgun to bother fine-tuning loads, so for 44 Mag I load for accuracy in the rifle, then the handgun just has to 'cope' with those loads. For me, whatever load I shoot out of a handgun, the 'load' is always more accurate than the 'shooter'.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

My boy shot a mature boar with his Marlin 336 Texan in 44 Mag. Due to chambering issues, we used 44 Special brass with a lighter charge of 2400 under a 265 cast bullet. Not fast at all....very light recoil, but went right through him quartering....entering at the shoulder/gristle plate and coming out just behind the shoulder on the off side. Killed him as quick as my 356 Win. with 210 gr. Beartooth Cast doing over 2000 FPS. Has me rethinking the need for fast with a well placed and well designed cast hunting bullet in 44(.43) cal.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

C. Cash wrote:Has me rethinking the need for fast with a well placed and well designed cast hunting bullet in 44(.43) cal.
Somewhere I saw a video on penetration of water-jugs with 45-70 vs. 50 BMG - and the old-but-slow WON.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

This was our first big game kill, so sure not an expert here. But it makes sense to me.....big going very fast, hitting something more solid, expands and/or breaks up, decreasing penetration. Big going moderate speed keeps on penetrating as it does not overly expand when it hits, relying on generous meplat to create effective wound channel.

The Winchester is very strong and should take any published loads, unless so noted.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I had Mountain Molds cut me a 432-325GC mold initially for my 444's . But when I got the mold I was also working with the second of the Marlin 336-44's . So me being me I tried the 432-325GC in the 44 MAG as well .

I used I think 19 grains of H-110 . It shot great at 25 , 50 and 75 yards and the groups at 100 were hunting acceptable . However at 100 yards you could see an ever so slight yawing of the bullets when they went thru the paper . Now don't think I would have hesitated to use it for a deer out to say 125 yards but any past that and I'da passed on the shot .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
WyoShooter
Levergunner

Post by WyoShooter »

Thanks everyone for the input. I will look for some load data that supports the Trapper model and max velocities and work under and up to that data. Want a good accurate load for hunting.
"In the beginning of a change the Patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If you can get it, try IMR 4227 powder. It is a little slower than H110 and gives as good or better velocity in a longer barrel while slowing it down in a shorter barrel. I have used it in my .480 and it is accurate with both pistol and rifle, and gives really nice velocity in the rifle.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You need to be concerned about PRESSURE and not VELOCITY. Your rifle chambered for the .44 Mag is safe with all standard .44 Mag loads. If you need/want more velocity than you can get with the .44 Mag, then you need more gun/cartridge. Get a manual and read it. If you've done that you can answer your own question. If your question is really what's the best powder to load to standard .44 Mag velocities then I like H110/W296 (the same powder) but have shot a lot of IMR4227 and 2400. I personally prefer 2400 with cast bullets. Don't know why and can't verbalize a reason, I just do.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If you stick with the published loads that are in 2 or more books, then you don't usually have pressure problems. IMR4227 also gives a little lower pressure. That may be why you like the 2400 better. It gives a little faster pressure spike and may cause the lead to obdurate better.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

piller wrote:If you stick with the published loads that are in 2 or more books, then you don't usually have pressure problems. IMR4227 also gives a little lower pressure. That may be why you like the 2400 better. It gives a little faster pressure spike and may cause the lead to obdurate better.
Yes I know...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson