New Paint Job at the Range...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

New Paint Job at the Range...

Post by AJMD429 »

Image[/URL]

Green - stuff NOT to shoot
Orange - 22 LR only
Yellow - 'Handgun' cartridges only
Pink - anything goes except 338 Lapua or 375 Ruger or steel-core.
Red - 'Self-defense' handguns at 15 yards

This picture shows more detail.

Image[/URL]

100 yards - 4", 8", 12" and 16" round hard-steel gongs (Bobcat Steel) that are tough enough that 308 FMJ doesn't even dent them at ALL. Also a square soft-steel 'sacrificial' gong you can go at with anything you want, as even 223 or 444 Marlin will cleanly punch it. (The COOL thing is that you can blame a 'miss' on hitting a hole... :wink: ). Also a target-rack made of re-bar you can't really see since it is pained green.

75 yards - Another target-rack, plus two 8" gongs for 'pistol' cartridges, and a four-paddle flip-up for 22 LR.

50 yards - an old water-tank that dared to leak in my house (I decided if it wanted to leak, I'd take it out back and 'help it out' a bit - leaks right nice now, don't it... :twisted: ), an anything-goes 14" or so 'gong' made of a plastic pail lid, and an 8" soft-steel gong, plus another four-paddle flip-up for 22 LR. Another target-rack, and a 'spinner' type 6" and 8" gong for medium-power handgun, and a "rifle jack" for high-power rifle (308 out past 100 yards, or 44 mag out at 50 yards) that neatly flips and rolls to present a new target face when you hit it (Bobcat Steel). Tons of fun.

25 yards - an old washing machine case to hold up cardboard for 'getting on paper' or patterning shotguns. Another target-rack, a four-paddle flip-up for 22 LR, a "rifle-jack" for 22 LR (it very neatly flips and rolls to present a new target face just like the larger one does - Bobcat Steel). A medium-power handgun two-paddle 'flip-up' target, a 10" and 12" soft steel gong, and a 'resealable foam' "bowling pin" target.

15 yards - only a 18" gong for CCW-type mid-power handguns, off to the side and low down from the bench for ricochet handling.

THIS will be my next Bobcat Steel purchase - http://bobcatsteel.com/?wpsc-product=cat

P.S. the Goat out at the 50 yard line is not a 'reactive target' but was "helping" me paint the targets. She goes to a buyer today with lots of children to spoil her, and we can once again not have her under-foot in the kitchen and peeing on the floor.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: New Paint Job at the Range...

Post by Blaine »

Very nice.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Where? is the goat?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Mescalero,

The goat is at the bottom of the hot pink thing in the middle of the pics. I had to look three times to see it.

I find myself increasingly envious of those with their own shooting ranges.
Way too many colors for me to remember.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

J Miller wrote:I find myself increasingly envious of those with their own shooting ranges.
Way too many colors for me to remember.
Lots of other tradeoffs to get such a range/home - for one thing I've worked 65 hour weeks for the past 35 years, going sometimes over half a year without a dime in pay (the 'small-business-owner' thing). I'd never survive in a union factory job though.

As far as the 'colors' - they help keep people from destroying my targets. Maddening when a guest blows apart my nice 22 LR gong with his new 308... :evil:
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Oh,
Thanks Joe.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I am color blind ! So the colors would be useless to me lol's ! I pretty much only shoot paper so all I need is a good target backer at 50 and 100 yards with possibly a little something at 25 yards .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I have a 100 yard bench here at the house but I stopped using it since it bothered our dog . I find myself now wanting a hundred yard underground range with 2 or 3 benches and of course target backers at 25 , 50 and 100 yards !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

6pt-sika wrote:I have a 100 yard bench here at the house but I stopped using it since it bothered our dog . I find myself now wanting a hundred yard underground range with 2 or 3 benches and of course target backers at 25 , 50 and 100 yards !
A dude I knew 25 years ago built one in his semi-suburban (5 acre tracts) area, using a backhoe and pea gravel and culvert-pipe and treated plywood. Biggest problem was he found out he needed to add a ventilation fan system even with "smokeless" powder. Never saw it, but it sounded nice. He said he shot pretty much anything in it (lots of 30-06 Garand shooting), and neighbors quit complaining because they didn't hear a thing.

horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

6pt-sika wrote:I have a 100 yard bench here at the house but I stopped using it since it bothered our dog . I find myself now wanting a hundred yard underground range with 2 or 3 benches and of course target backers at 25 , 50 and 100 yards !
Your dog has one considerate owner! :P
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

AJ,

I understand completely.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

AJMD429 wrote:
A dude I knew 25 years ago built one in his semi-suburban (5 acre tracts) area, using a backhoe and pea gravel and culvert-pipe and treated plywood. Biggest problem was he found out he needed to add a ventilation fan system even with "smokeless" powder. Never saw it, but it sounded nice. He said he shot pretty much anything in it (lots of 30-06 Garand shooting), and neighbors quit complaining because they didn't hear a thing.

We have about 70 acres out in what is "now" considered country . Got horse folks on two sides , turkey farm/vineyard behind us and a dairy farm across the road . The not so bright sometimes horse people have this thing about always wanting to ride thru my woods . And the folks on one side used to complain about shooting on saturday and sunday evenings .

I doubt if I can ever afford to do what I want . But , I'd like an underground room thats about 110 yards long and about 15-20 feet wide with an 8 foot ceiling exhaust fans etc . On a 90 degree angle to the "range room" I'd like to have a loading room / gun vault of about 20'x30' .

Be kinda nice to have the range . loading room and gun vault all in very close proxemity for a change !

My loading room is in the shop wing of the house and my gun saves are in the garage wing of the house . So they are literally as far from each other as they can be in this house !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

horsesoldier03 wrote:
Your dog has one considerate owner! :P

Our dog suffers from seizures and the Vet said any undue stress would bring them on . So I stopped using my home range and use the one at the club 6 miles away 100% now .
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very... colorful.

And I'm very jealous. I so wish I had a range at home! :mrgreen:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

6pt-sika wrote:Our dog suffers from seizures and the Vet said any undue stress would bring them on . So I stopped using my home range and use the one at the club 6 miles away 100% now .
What if you made one of those stationary-noise-baffles some folks make out of old tires or a large plywood 'doghouse on stilts' with an opening in each end...? It wouldn't be a "suppressor" since not attached to a firearm (though of course if you only wanted to shoot 22's or lower-powered or subsonic high-power cartridges, you could just use actual suppressors, if you wanted to spend the $1k or so to get a multi-purpose one and adapters, and all that).

Someone on here posted a picture of his "range baffle" though, and said it really cut down noise immensely.

Dunno about those 444 Marlins you like, though... :shock: Them's probably kinda hard to make quiet...

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote:Someone on here posted a picture of his "range baffle" though, and said it really cut down noise immensely.
That would be Sixgun. :D
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

AJMD429 wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:Our dog suffers from seizures and the Vet said any undue stress would bring them on . So I stopped using my home range and use the one at the club 6 miles away 100% now .
What if you made one of those stationary-noise-baffles some folks make out of old tires or a large plywood 'doghouse on stilts' with an opening in each end...? It wouldn't be a "suppressor" since not attached to a firearm (though of course if you only wanted to shoot 22's or lower-powered or subsonic high-power cartridges, you could just use actual suppressors, if you wanted to spend the $1k or so to get a multi-purpose one and adapters, and all that).

Someone on here posted a picture of his "range baffle" though, and said it really cut down noise immensely.

Dunno about those 444 Marlins you like, though... :shock: Them's probably kinda hard to make quiet...

Our dog is 13 now so I doubt she has to many more years . The muffler thing out of a building would be fine , as we had another fellow not to far from thats deceased now that did the muffler thing about 15 years ago with excellent results . That however does not cure the not so bright horse riders coming thru the woods etc etc etc .
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

That however does not cure the not so bright horse riders coming thru the woods etc etc etc .
If you have a fence, it's called trespass.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Cool range AJ. My range at the ranch is 450 yards with a bench in the shade. Finding a day with no high wind in West Texas is as likely as finding an honest politician.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

THIS will be my next Bobcat Steel purchase - http://bobcatsteel.com/?wpsc-product=cat :lol:

Nice target. I could see having a couple like that. Do the bugs ever keep you from shooting? Can you shoot at night with your light and laser equipped levers?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

3leggedturtle wrote:THIS will be my next Bobcat Steel purchase - http://bobcatsteel.com/?wpsc-product=cat :lol:

Nice target. I could see having a couple like that. Do the bugs ever keep you from shooting? Can you shoot at night with your light and laser equipped levers?
Skeeters are bad sometimes (shooting muzzleloaders seems to smoke-them-away though).

I 'can' shoot at night but not really 'recreationally' as much as just periodically to see how well the sights work.

This group was at 50 yards in pitch black conditions with a 357 Mag 'Night Scout' setup.

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Where is the Powder Blue?

You need powder blue out at 100+...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!