need a load for 45 70 marlin

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rockchuck
Levergunner

need a load for 45 70 marlin

Post by rockchuck »

looking for a good load for 45 70 in my marlin using 300 gr. cast lead bullets,also any info on removing lead from rifle barrell
TuPapito
Levergunner

Post by TuPapito »

I get pretty good results with 55 grains of H4198 and a 300 grain bullet. Of course, it is up to you to follow all your reloading manuals instructions and start from the low-end of the powder spectrum and work up.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

rockchuck,

Welcome to the forum.

I can't help with the load data, but for stubborn leading I'd suggest buying a copper scrubbing pad, like the Chore Boy type, but take a magnet with you because some of them are not copper. Wrap a brass brush with the copper scrubber and run it through the bore DRY. This will strip all the lead out of the bore.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
rhead
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rhead »

Lee 405 hb bullet, large rifle primer of your choice, start at around 38 grains of 3031 and work up to your recoil tolerance. If you are a lot tougher than me check for what the max load is.
The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

300gr Laser Cast on top of 47gr of 3031 = about 1600fps out of an 1895 Cowboy. I never had any leading problems.
rockchuck
Levergunner

45 70 load and barrell leading

Post by rockchuck »

thx for your replies, info greatly appreciated
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

After five years of trying I have finally found THE load for my Marlin 1895g. Does everything I want done and is still shootable. I started with new Remington brass, annealed the first ¾ inch using the melted lead method, belled with a Lee expander and primed with CCI 200. The powder charge is 52gr AA 2495. I started with 48 and worked up with no signs of pressure. This is a compressed load, even using a 16 inch drop tube. The magic bullet is cast in a Lyman 451114 mould. The alloy is 17 parts pure lead, 2 ½ parts linotype, and ½ part tin. The bullet drops from the mould .451, 430gr and is ready for patching. I make my patches from 16lb green bar computer paper, cut 2.750 long on a 60* angle 1.500 high. I dip in water and wrap twice around the bullet. They are left to dry overnight, then lubed with BAC. Then the tails are clipped and the bullet is run through a .459 Lee sizing die. I seat them to an OCL of 2.580. These shoot clover leaf groups at 25 yards and into 1.75 at 100. This is with a Lyman 66 rear sight and factory front sight. Not bad for 55 year old eyes. Bullet performance on game is all one could ask for. I’ll not quit experimenting, but how does one improve on perfection?