Texas Summer Safari arsenal question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Texas Summer Safari arsenal question

Post by awp101 »

OK, I sent my deposit in for the Texas Summer Safari. I'm doing the meat hunt but haven't decided if I want to go for a deer or hog.

Right now, I'm pondering exactly what I want to use. Yeah, I'm already amped up over this... :lol:

My options right now are:
Win 94 .30-30 - used it for years growing up but only took one deer with it.

Marlin 1894C .357 - my current favorite, set up with a 2X scout scope.

Puma .45 Colt - haven't spent the time with it I need to, still working out the POA/POI with open sights.

Marlin 1889 .38-40 - needs a new front sight, probably won't happen before the hunt but then again, it might.

I might have a .45-70 by that time but it's far from a sure thing right now.

Of course I could always use the Garand. I even thought about bringing the .45-120. My buddy wasn't impressed with my argument of hogs being small buffalo....:twisted:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Two thoughts....

Which one do you shoot best?

And always take two rifles on a hunt.....you never know when something might break.

Wm
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I sent my deposit already. Going for a meat Bison, a catalina ram and maybe a hog. Taking the .45-90 1877 Sharps, and perhaps the 50 shiloh three band sharps, will have the 45-70 1886 with me (loaded with BP loads) and the .45 LC pistol (also loaded with BP).

For deer, any of the rifles you mentioned will do a great job. I love the 45-70 but certainly the 30-30, .357 or .45 will harvest the game you are after. Take two or three and decide when you get there.

blessings
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Texas Summer Safari arsenal question

Post by Griff »

My suggestion would be:
awp101 wrote:Win 94 .30-30 - used it for years growing up but only took one deer with it.

Puma .45 Colt - haven't spent the time with it I need to, still working out the POA/POI with open sights.
With the 94, get some good loads wrung out to 150yards. Either the 150 or 170 grainers, whichever your rifle likes best.

For the Puma .45 Colt, work up some nice 265 - 300 grainers that'll THUMP out at 100yards. The Hornady 300 XTP-MAG would be my first choice on hogs over a stout load.

Mind you, I haven't taken a hog with either, but have taken enough deer and read enough from others on hogs to know that both will work if you do your part. The reason I suggest these, is that they're proven performers. The .357 would be great on deer, but... I'm not ready to suggest it for hogs at more than handgun distances; AND I think the .45 Colt is better.

I might amend that if you get the .45-70 in time to do some load development in your rifle and get it dialed in.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

I agree with Griff, the 30-30 or 45 Colt will work good. 150 yards on this place would be a long shot. It's pretty thick stuff with roads cut threw it. Visibility can be very limited in places, some places are a little more open. It will also amaze you how tough some of these animals are, they can take multiple hits and still make you work tracking them.
Ricky

DWWC
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I like the 45 Colt with 300 grain bullets if you can group them into around 3" at 100 yards.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

While revisiting your list it occurred to me that the 45 Colt throwing 300gr bullets at 1500+ fps would get my blessing for anything on the ranch (in the event that you get Piller-itis and switch from a meat hunt to a buffalo).

Any of the other choices are great for the deer species, especially from the blind. In the summer, there are more opportunities for long shots if we spot and stalk so 150 yards is not out of the question. However if your only gun is in 357 mag you won't be shooting my buffalo with it unless you don't mind a barage of follow up shots from my gun. Now a 30-30 or something we might consider a head shot at real close range under the right circumstances. Nilgai require a huge amount of penetration and the 45 Colt with a cast bullet would likely get the job done. The others are risky and much more dependent on bullet type and range when it comes to hard-to-put-down game.

The 45 Colt is most versatile. The 30-30 has been used countless times with few problems. I would love to see the 38-40 take something just because I haven't seen game taken with it.

Make your decision based on 1) accuracy 2) confidence 3) speed of follow-up 4) familiarity.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Thanks for the advice so far, keep it coming!

For the time being I'm going to be limited to factory fodder. What's a good factory load for the .45 Colt then? I'm not as comfortable with open sights as I used to be since I went to glasses. Looks like I'll just have to spend more time with it.;)

Same questions for the .38-40. This may be the impetus I need to get the front sight sorted out and I'll probably need to know what factory load will be used to get it properly regulated.

No buff this time, strictly deer or hog. :?
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

If you don't reload your choices for 45 colt, at the size and speeds that 86er and Griff are speaking of, are limited. Check the links below.

http://www.grizzlycartridge.com/-strse- ... gories.bok

http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/d ... htm#45colt
Ricky

DWWC
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I strongly prefer the Grizzly Cartridge 300gr WLFNGC. If you call Mike to order, you can receive a 10% discount as one of our clients. (503) 556-3006. Also available through Midway and Cabelas.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

With 86er backing you up, don't worry. He won't let you get too stupid, and besides, I had way too much fun getting that buffalo. The adrenalin rush was like the time I walked off the tailgate of a C-130 at 30,000 feet wearing arctic gear and having a 6 second static line. It was total fun.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

piller wrote:... The adrenalin rush was like the time I walked off the tailgate of a C-130 at 30,000 feet wearing arctic gear and having a 6 second static line. It was total fun.

Silly man, never volunteer to leave a still operational airplane!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Those military airplanes probably couldn't be called operational under the best of circumstances. I was in one once when three of the four engines caught fire during the flight. Everyone but the Pilot, CoPilot, and Navigator immediately stood up, hooked up, and headed for the door. The plane landed at the airfield and the fourth engine exploded. With maintenance like that, who needs anyone shooting at you?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Thanks all!

I had enough sense to stay in the aircraft. I figured 37 hours in a Cessna 150/152 qualified me to land ANYTHING as long as all the parts were still attached. OTOH when it came to helos, they kept giving me this neato keen rope to slide down...:lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Tumbleweeds
Levergunner 1.0

Nix on the .38-40 unless you reload.

Post by Tumbleweeds »

Factory ammo for the .38-40 is loaded to black powder pressures and performance, and I would feel undergunned on a hog hunt. Better ammo for modern rifles (of which the 1889 is one) was commercially loaded 100 years ago, but no more.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Nix on the .38-40 unless you reload.

Post by awp101 »

Tumbleweeds wrote:Factory ammo for the .38-40 is loaded to black powder pressures and performance
Would that include Winchester Super X 180g? I ask because the shop that will probably do the front sight for me has it in stock.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at