Old Winchester's - what to look for when buying?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Old Winchester's - what to look for when buying?

Post by Aussie Chris »

Gday folks!

So as some of you know, this youngin has started to collect old Winchesters. Probably the youngest Winnie collector down here!

Pretty small collection at 13 - most being my NIB commemoratives.

My favourite is still the last gun I bought 2 years back, my 30wcf '1894 made in 1898. So itching to add another!

Well I have decided to keep going with the collection, money/mortgage permitting of course! Will probably sell off a few of my NIB ones for some real old ones.

My ultimate collection is one of each such as a 1866, 1873, 1876, 1886, 1892, 1895 ect. I really want an '86 just like everyone else. Kinda spewing I passed up on a nice 45-70 one for 5k here a little while ago.

I look for the obvious things I can see, such as:

-sanded down wood such as around the tang and front fore end
-Any buggered screw heads or mismatched screws that have different states of blueing to the rest of the rifle
-sanded down metal especially on the receiver
-mismatched sights or really boogered up sights
-re crowning or barrel shortening
-unusual wear patterns
-unusually good wood compared to the rest of the rifle

and then the functioning (I prefer to shoot all of mine so don't want them worn out):

-operation of the hammer full and half cock
-tang safety operation, if fitted
-lever slop/play
-slickness of the action
-wear on the hammer, rails, bolt ect
-barrel condition

I am self taught with all of this and don't really have much help besides my copy of 'The Winchester book'

Anyway what things do you guys look for when buying a nice old original Winchester?

Look foward to your help and knowledge

Chris
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
peter richards
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Old Winchester's - what to look for when buying?

Post by peter richards »

Chris,
It is great to see a fellow Winchester Collector down under. Most collectors I know preach rarity & condition, that is fine for them as they started their collections 50 years ago & have their mortgages paid down & their kids raised.
I have been collecting Winchesters since I was 11 & I just turned 40, in that time I have picked up over 200 Winchesters including every model of Lever Action except for an original Henry, & with a mortgage on the farm & 4 young kids it will take a while to achieve that goal. I started out focusing on quantity but am now starting to trade up to quality.
In answer to your question what to look for when buying, I look for one I haven't got, or in better condition than one I have got, & whether or not I have enough money to buy or trade into it.
Check out Roly Martyn's auction twice a year in Melbourne, but the best place to buy Winchesters is the USA. I have exporters if you find anything other there you like on the net, or better yet head over there yourself, it will blow you away. I took a group over last year, search Gun Trip USA 2012 on this site & you will see all about it, we brought 30 guns back between us. I am doing it again in 2014, PM me if you are interested, also join the WACA or at least check out the website http://www.winchestercollector.org . We have an Australian chapter with a newsletter, PM me for copies or for any advice I can provide.
Happy hunting, and be careful, collecting Winchesters is addictive & the hunt for a Winchester is just as exciting as the hunt for a buck.
Pete
Levergunner Down Under
NRA Life Member
SSAA
SASS
WACA
Shooters & Fishers Party
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

The Winchester Arms Collectors Association (WACA) has an excellent post on this here http://www.winchestercollector.org/foru ... fe6f356381
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Gday ! - Take care to be aware of fakery of rare models/versions, and uninformed claims of "one-of-a-kind" and/or "1st year gun" status - along with their equally inflated prices, of course. ;)

CAVEAT EMPTOR........................

williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

Barrel markings are important. If the caliber has been changed it's a rebore and worth less.
I have a '92 sporting rifle in 25/20 built in 1894 but, on top of the barrel hear the receiver is an oval with a P inside. That means it has a genuine Winchester barrel that was mailed to a gunsmith. On the bottom of the barrel, under the forearm, is the date 1929. That means it is worth the $795 I paid for it and not the $3000 it would be worth with the original barrel in good condition.
Early rifles with good barrels are rare because of the corrosion from black powder loads.

This might help:

http://www.winchestercollector.org/foru ... sc&start=0
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Recently, I ran into a problem with a 1951 Winchester 94. The action popped open too easily. I posted the problem on this board and asked how common it is. The consensus of the responses was that it happens but is not that that common. Yesterday I had the chance to visit a couple of pawn shops that had several pre 64 94s. I fondled 3 pre 1951 rifles in one shop, and 2 of the 3 had that same issue! I haven't really looked for that in the past as a problem, but it seems to be fairly common. The two with the problem were unsafe to shoot as presented because the lever safety was off when the action was closed. I could pull the trigger without squeezing the lever at all.

I'm not sure if this is due to wear, changing parts out from other guns or what, but this is a new to me thing to watch out for with old 94s.
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Thanks for the replies gents. Some great advice in there, and that Winchester collectors site is great!
Can't wait to get the '86 that I have been waiting for!

Gday Peter, I am 27 and got my first rifle, an XTR 30-30 94 when I was 18. It is turning into a curse ;)
I have been a regular at Roly's, a great bloke that has helped me with a few purchases along with Gordon (you will know Gordon)
A Winchester trip to the u.s would be great! But probably not just yet for me. I PM you anyway.

Chris
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...