Who has a small 22

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Who has a small 22

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Like a NAA Mini revolver, or the small Taurus and Beretta autos.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Who has a small 22

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I have a bearcat - that's the smallest I have. But I've had the NAA's in the past. Why do you ask?
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

O.S.O.K. wrote:I have a bearcat - that's the smallest I have. But I've had the NAA's in the past. Why do you ask?

Just really curious. How do you like your Bearcat? Have been looking at them lately to.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Aren't all 22's the same size?? 22?? :)

I've owned a NAA and to me they're more of a novelty than a working firearm. I had a Bearcat and it was a handy to carry on the trapline, but I missed adjustable sights so went back to my Single Six.
InTheWoods
Levergunner 2.0

Post by InTheWoods »

I have a NAA mini revolver, and as JB noted, they are mainly novelty pieces. I have a few Smith and Wesson j-frame kit-guns (34, 63, 51) and find them wonderful small revolvers for field use. For me, they are much easier to shoot than the similar-sized Bearcats. Much easier to load and unload too.
zzr7ky
Levergunner 1.0

Post by zzr7ky »

Hi - I have a Bearcat. I find it to be fun and effective. It's pretty darn small. I'm 5'10 and it's tight. The Single Six is easier to shoot.

I like it. Great for kids, small women, useful in the field if I do my part. I personally don't see need for something smaler.

Mike
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have a NAA 1"er that uses 22 WMR or 22 LR (different cylinders), and it is a great backup gun or clips (clip-grip) onto jogging shorts or whatever. Wouldn't want it for primary CCW without the available laser-sight though. For 'plinking' it is fun but hard to hit well enough with that you feel you're wasting ammo.

I also have a Beretta 21 in 22 LR that works flawlessly with CCI Stingers (no jams with other ammo but all I really shoot in it is Stingers), and I'd be ok with it for CCW if I were going to depend on a 22 LR. For 'plinking' it is pretty fun, though not a 'target' gun by any means.

My third 'small' 22 LR was a Taurus 9-shot DA revolver with very short barrel, and though a great deal larger than the other two, in practice, there is little difference - either they fit 'in a pocket' or not, and all three do. The gun was used and had a gritty trigger, and I got a chance to trade it even-up for a 22 WMR (from a stingy gun store no less) one of the same only 8-shot design. THAT has become a favorite pocket-gun for around the 'farm', and is accurate enough (adjustable sights) and fun enough to shoot that it makes a good 'plinker' as well as CCW gun (for that power level).

The Ruger Single-Six and Ruger Mark-II are the most 'fun' of the 22 LR handguns I've shot, but neither is a 'pocket' or 'CCW' candidate. I'm no more accurate with the Single Six than the Taurus snubbie, but the Mark-II is a tack-driver, even in my hands.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've had several NAA's and got this one about a week ago. I like them for stuff like working around the yard and walking the dog around town. We don't really have any big critters where I live and very low crime rate.
I used it to dispatch an errant DVD player with some .22 shorts. That's about all I can get away with in my neighborhood.
I also have my Grandfather's S&W model 61 but it's still new in the box and I don't take it out very often. Shoots well though. I've been looking at the Ruger LCR's a lot lately.

Here's the new NAA 1860

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The S&W 317 AirLite was the first concealed carry piece I ever bought....It's pretty handy, and weighs something like 12 or 14oz fully loaded with 8 Stingers... I usually stick it in a vest pocket when I go hunting because a whole butt-load of shells can be carried real easy. Good for grouse.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

Not a real small .22, but I recently bought a used Taurus M94 9 shot. Very similar in size to an S&W J-frame. Seems very accurate with most of the ammo I use. It does have a problem if you try to cock it with the barrel pointed downward. The transfer bar is not held away from the firing pin in this position, so it hangs up under the firing pin. It has adjustable sights which need tightened up regularly because they shoot loose. I have owned 3 different Taurus guns and my luck with Taurus has been very bad, so would not recommend one. They have a lifetime warranty, and sooner or later, you will probably need it. Sorry for the rant, just my experience.
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Smallest I have is a Bersa T22. The light weight and poor trigger make it hard to shoot well but I'm slowly getting better. It runs fine, fits my hand well and doesn't get in the way but overall, I wish Ruger had their SR's out when I bought.

LK
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Howdya like this triple-play ?

My NAA Black Widow, being holstered ;)

(Dress shirts with a print pattern are much better for concealment, BTW :mrgreen: )

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I bought Jr an NAA w/ dual cylinders. You got questions about them?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I have a few smaller .22s, I use a Walter P-22 the most as it is the lightest, very accurate, and suppresses well. One of my friends, a retired Fed, carries one as his CCW. I have a Walter PP in .22 that is great carrying but very heavy as it is steel that I carried at work for about 15 years extremely accurate with the suppressor. All of the ones pictured mainly get used in training any more for small 22s depending what the student wants to carry as a ccw.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

The only small 22 that I have is a Beretta 950BS in .22 Short. I also have a Mosquito, a P22, a Ruger Standard and a Mark II but I don't consider them small.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I have the North American Arms Mini revolver with two cylinders, .22 Magnum & .22 Long Rifle. The magnum cylinder is all I have used. While not accurate at any distance, it is highly concealable and speaks with some authority at close range, making it a good back-up to my Ruger SP101 for concealed carry.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Astra Constable, have not tricked out the extra slide yet.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Nothing as small as that but my Rugger MIII isnt what I would call large
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The Ruger Bearcat SS is sweet. I may have to find one of those. :D
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

L. kilkenny,
I like that Bersa.
Tell me about it.
Is it double action only?
how many rounds?
will it shoot Rem. Yellow Jackets?
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I have an ugly little 10 rd Pheonix HP22 that works suprisingly well with 60gr SSST ammo.

What I'd like is a .22 the same size or smaller than my NAA Guardian .32.
Last edited by Old Ironsights on Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Mescalero wrote:L. kilkenny,
I like that Bersa.
Tell me about it.
Is it double action only?
how many rounds?
will it shoot Rem. Yellow Jackets?
The T22's are SA/DA and come with one 10 rounds mag. Extra mags are $30 give or take. Gun show price for the one I bought was $260 + tax NIB. Sights are orange 3-dot, rear is windage adjustable.

Over all the gun has a good feel and points pretty naturally. Controls are in good places, safety is a push forward decocker.

Ammo: Haven't tried the "truncated cone" yellow jackets so I can't comment. It has been 100% with MiniMags but chokes on Federal 550 bulk. A buddy borrowed it for family range time and said it ran fine with whatever Remington bulk they were using. I tried Velocitors in it. Ran fine but seemed hard on the gun and got a little powder on the hand during ejection. Decided against them.

Only real complaint I have is the toggle trigger system. Plenty of creep and I haven't been able to get it worked out. That and it's size/weight make it hard for ME to shoot well. As stated before I am getting better with it. Should say "was getting better with it". I replaced it with a Talo/Ruger 22/45 with a slab sided 4.5" barrel so Bersa is now the wife's go to gun (loaded with MiniMags). I haven't shot it since.

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

How does the mag. eject?
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Mescalero wrote:How does the mag. eject?
Push button high behind trigger hinge pin on left side. Mags also have finger groove ext below grip.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Beretta, NAA and smiths all great. For many years I have had a mini revolver on my person when awake as a back up. I have had multiple configurations, from the casull 2002, to the ranger NAA (my favorite) to the pug and black jack. The folding grip one starts getting too big for this one but a very controllable little revolver. Proper grip is essential for accuracy. I use two hands. Strong hand pulls trigger, weak hand cocks. I think they are great weapons for when you can't carry anything else. I have had same finding with the Berrettas Stingers are ammo of choice with these. For an in your face pocket gun, these are hard to beat. One of my favorite small 22 are the Walters in PP models. I just can't make good use of their sights. Very accurate. A bit too large for this category. A completely different size group. I love the light weights in S&W but they are still much bigger than the mini's. my thoughts there are only the NAA in this group or perhaps the Berretta Everything else is in the next category up which includes lots of center fire handguns. Other choices but still in the same size of the bearcats are the seacamp 32. Then the 380 but these are much heavier than the Berrettas. Depends what u want it for. The NAA minis are pretty much in their own category. The 2002's aren't made but can be found. Everyone who wants to carry everywhere should own one!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Forgot about the Walter TPH. Very nice, same size as Berrettas but thinner. Very sharp edges on slide but very nice pistols. Still bigger than than the mini revolvers.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I have a .22 mag mini from NAA. It pretty much lives in my pocket regardless of what else I'm carrying. Then again, I carry a disposable butane lighter, and I don't smoke. I look at them the same way. I may never need them, but...

I can say that the little gun with a snake shot round will kill a rattler. But, I really prefer something much larger for that task.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Thanks for all the replies. Have S&W M63 which I sold. Have always wanted a small NAA type or Derringer22 pistol, well jus because I can/do. Currently have a 22/45 MKIII 5.5", it is really accurate and reliable, gonna stick my Aimpoint on and see how much better I can shoot it. Have a Bersa 380, but can never find the Bersa 22. Cabin fever is starting to get better of me so I am trying to keep my mind occupied till spring gets here.

Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

...well, how about a Harrington & Richardson Premier, 7-shot?:

...shown close to a Smith & Wesson Model 12, for scale:

...or the slightly-smaller Rohm RG 10 (Rosco-imported version, here):

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

A Beretta Model 21 would fit your requirement (.22LR)I had one and gave it to my daughters friend who needed a reliable replacement to what she was carrying. The is a .32 ACP that I carry when I need to hide one. A beefed up model 21 palm size and reliable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

turtle, I like my bearcat. It shoots quite well but no as accurate as my single six. It is pretty small but I'm still able to shoot it decently in spite of that - and it makes a dandy snake charmer with CCI shot shells. I've got a little El Paso Saddlery holster for it.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Paladin mentioned the Berretta 21. I have one, but in .25 acp. I find that the .22 lr ammo isn't quite as reliable or robust as small caliber center fire ammo. Thus I selected the .25 acp version. But, I must admit that .25 acp is considerably more expensive than .22 lr. Ballistically, I doubt you'd be able to find any significant difference between the two rounds.

Oh, and you can (I do and I it can be irksome to do) reload the .25 acp which you can't (well at least not easily) reload the .22 lr.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

For a striker fired gun the old Jennings wasn't too bad...until the sear wears out ant it becomes an FA squirtgun...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

My .22LR Cobra Derringer. Easily fits in a double-wide tray slot in a fishing tackle box along with a 50-round box of ammo in the same slot.

Here it is with my Ruger Bearcat and my Ruger MKIs for a size comparison.

Last edited by Modoc ED on Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ED
Yer never too old
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I like derringers, but wouldn't get one smaller than .38sp.

One Snakeshot & one 158LSWCHP makes it a particularly useful belly gun...

for .22 six is the absolute minimum...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

My, my you're assuming I only have a derringer in .22LR. I have others in other calibers.

The OP asked; "Who has a small 22" and I answered his question.

Six? Perhaps you need a little more time at the range.
ED
Yer never too old
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

The Bearcat is really a neat little gun....if there are no bears or big cats in the picture. I carry mine ith CCI'S mini mags, but wind up carrying the Flat Top 44 more often when in the woods.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I like my bearcat too, perfect for backpacking but still too big to be on you all the time. the NAA is unique in its size and therefore seems to fit a category just about all in its own. Three basic versions: the standard in 22lr or 22 mag, the ranger, a break top, only 500 were made and I had one. they sell for over 1200 dollars now. I paid 400 for mine and sold it when they went over 1000. And the sidewinder. a swing out version. last two types are 500 limited edition. the sidewinder is available for 400 now. I would get that one as it will certainly appreciate in the future. it allows for faster loading. check em out and let us know what you get. you will enjoy them i guarantee it. :lol:
Mike Johnson,

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Modoc ED wrote:My, my you're assuming I only have a derringer in .22LR. I have others in other calibers.

The OP asked; "Who has a small 22" and I answered his question.

Six? Perhaps you need a little more time at the range.
Oh... I don't know.

I
I've had occasions where a 158gr solid to the head was insufficient. I don't think that a mere 2 .22 slugs would have been enough... but a half dozen would...

Like I said... I'd like to have a .22 that was the same size as my NAA Guardian. To me that would be more useful than a .22 derringer or mini revolver...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I used to own a NAA in 22LR, wonderful engineering built like a Swiss watch. Nice gun but slow to reload, slow for accurate fire. My BIL admired it, and I needed to buy tires for my wife's car so it became his.

I have owned my Sterling 302 auto since about month after I was married (32 years ago), A gift from dad so priceless sentimentally. Choosey about ammo but shoots CCI Stingers 100% so I'm happy. Thanks Dad!
My Taurus 94 is an early model with 3" barrel which I purchased back around 1990. She has been a reliable and accurate gun, great trigger pull in both SA and DA modes. I keep her stoked with CCI Velocitor ammo and a couple speed loaders handy. I'm happy with this one too.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Paladin wrote:A Beretta Model 21 would fit your requirement (.22LR)I had one and gave it to my daughters friend who needed a reliable replacement to what she was carrying. The is a .32 ACP that I carry when I need to hide one. A beefed up model 21 palm size and reliable.
Me likes! I've been thinkin about a .32 pocket gun and that makes me think even harder. Now to just find one.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

L_Kilkenny wrote:
Paladin wrote:A Beretta Model 21 would fit your requirement (.22LR)I had one and gave it to my daughters friend who needed a reliable replacement to what she was carrying. The is a .32 ACP that I carry when I need to hide one. A beefed up model 21 palm size and reliable.
Me likes! I've been thinkin about a .32 pocket gun and that makes me think even harder. Now to just find one.
Don't forget to look at the NAA Guardian. Seecamp sized, digests any ammo I've tried and has a lifetime warranty...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!