Harrisburg Gun Show

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scoutmaster
Levergunner

Harrisburg Gun Show

Post by Scoutmaster »

"The Mid-Atlantic Arms Collectors, Harrisburg, PA are hosting the Ruger Collectors Association once again this year.
This year’s show is March 15-16, 2008 at the Farm Show Complex in Harrisburg, PA. It is a great 1,000 – 1,200-table venue and the show."

I wanted to post this for anyone in the area. It's about the best show the state has to offer. The Ruger Collectors Association put on a great display last year and for single six lovers, seeing it alone is worth the trip.
Don
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

I'm going to try to be there Saturday from open to 1300, but forces both natural and human have been conspiring against me attending shows since December. I'm not holding out much hope.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Barring interference from forces both natural and human, or my wife, I hope to attend.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Why are these called "conflicting dates" or "indecision"? The Timonium, Md. Winchester and Colt Show is this weekend. At the Harrisburg show, my buddy Matt is having a Ruger display. This time, he is showing his brass framed guns. I think this guy has 59% of all o.m. Rugers ever made. :D The Timonium show has way lots of cool leverguns but with prices to match and its also a place to reap top bucks if your selling something but......the Harrisburg show is more to reality.........Man...I gotta think this one out.--------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Sixgun -- never attend an out-of-state show when there's a perfectly acceptable show in-state.

Noah
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Noah Zark wrote:Sixgun -- never attend an out-of-state show when there's a perfectly acceptable show in-state.

Noah
Noah, I am really leaning towards the Pa. show because the Timonium show is really nothing more than "show and tell" by the dealers and as I have nothing to sell, other than a real nice engraved Ithaca double, I might as well hit the Pa show. I'll know more this Friday.--------Sixgun
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Sixgun wrote: . . . I'll know more this Friday . . .
Me too.

Noah
Scoutmaster
Levergunner

Post by Scoutmaster »

I'm hoping to be there one of the days this weekend, barring monetary incentives from my employer. :lol: If I work I can afford to buy rather than look.
Don
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Myself and at least 1 buddy will be going Sunday. That is a great show.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote:...to sell, other than a real nice engraved Ithaca double...
Inquiring minds want to know more! :wink:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Griff wrote:
Sixgun wrote:...to sell, other than a real nice engraved Ithaca double...
Inquiring minds want to know more! :wink:
Griff, I've been kicking this Ithaca around in my mind for about 15 years now. Its a Flues #1 and 1/2 factory engraved, mod/full, 30", with 95% blue, 90% case colors, super wood, all made in 1919. (and that's being conservative on the description) Its really too nice a gun to shoot and I'd sooner turn it into another levergun. Somewhere around 1.8 g's------------Sixgun
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I'm skipping both shows and heading to annapolis to work on my Sailboat.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

rjohns94 wrote:I'm skipping both shows and heading to annapolis to work on my Sailboat.
Mike, Ah, come on Mike, you need to buy some more guns! :D ---Sixgun
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I am done buying guns !!!! :D :shock:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

rjohns94 wrote:I am done buying guns !!!! :D :shock:
Yes Mike this Mike is there with yea.
And I can honestly say it's not the Wife factor this time. LOL :shock:
I really need to start using the ones I have.

Now we will see how long that lasts. :wink:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

yeah Mike, mine is self imposed too. I have got to stop, dropped far too much money in upgrading and downsizing my collection.
Mike Johnson,

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

All I have to say to you boys is "Life is Short---Play Hard" :D Guilt is a manmade emotion, so buy those guns! Don't worry about the mortgage, car payments, or silly things like the children's education and health care.----You just gotta play!----- Hey!, your wife can only bust up your head so much before it caves in!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Looks like I'm going to the Harrisburg show. I'll be wearing a black cowboy hat. If you see me, come up and say hello.-------Sixgun
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

6gun, which day you going?
MikeS.

Master Mason
Jefferson county, WV.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Weather looks like it may cooperate, so I'm planning to be there Sat at opening. I'll have a bright blue Land's End jacket with an East German raindrop camo knapsack over my shoulder.

Gonna be selling:

Robinson Arms 96 with both carbine and rifle barrels
Remington/Spartan/Baikal NIB hammerless 12ga SXS, unfired.
Two (2) Crvena Zastava 70 .32ACP auto pistols (the 'mini Tokarev")
One, possibly two 9mm Lugers and repro holsters
Vector 9mm Uzi Carbine
And maybe some other stuff . . .

Noah
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

MikeS. wrote:6gun, which day you going?
Mike, Be there Saturday morning, about 8:30 before opening. Its a disease. I'm afraid I'll miss out of the "deals" :D

Noah---You bringing a handtruck to haul all that? :D
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Noah, how come you didn't post any of that stuff here? Now, I'm not buying any more guns. :D
Mike Johnson,

Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

rjohns94 wrote:Noah, how come you didn't post any of that stuff here? Now, I'm not buying any more guns. :D

I only decided last night what was going on the block, and haven't had time to take pics, etc., for listing here. And if I listed today, I'd be gone selling some/all of it tomorrow, so putting a post in Classifieds would sorta be moot. Somebody read the Hbg Show thread and planned to go, they could PM me.

Not that you're buying . . .

Noah
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

rjohns94 wrote:Noah, how come you didn't post any of that stuff here? Now, I'm not buying any more guns. :D
Whew! Good timing on my part! :D I cleaned him out! (yea, right! Mike has a shoe box full of c-notes somewhere)
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Looks like I'm gonna miss meeting up with any of y'all, I just can't make Saturday. Too much other stuff going on that day.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Jefferson county, WV.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

so how was the HBURG show? I see Jason got a Ruger OA, how did it go for the rest of you? I didn't buy anymore guns cause I didn't go! Spent the day on my sailboat getting things ready for a 1 May launch into the sailing season.
Mike Johnson,

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

I didn’t go either Mike. (though it was very tempting :wink: )
Spent the day at the cabin getting it ready to open up
for the season. Hard to believe Trout season opens up
in two weeks. :shock:
ursavus.elemensis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ursavus.elemensis »

Anyone going Sunday? I am either going to the gun show or I am taking the boys hiking in southern Lancaster County at Holtwood. Either way, I'm getting out of the house. Is anyone going Sunday?
"A Prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people"
-The Declaration of Independence
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Sixgun and I killed the hour before opening in deep discussion that solved about half the country's and world's problems. Then the show opened and we had more pressing things to do . . . :wink:

The admission is now $8 to get in, on top of the $5 parking fee. The hall was 2/3 full with tables and wide aisles. It didn't get filled with people until about 1030-1100. At about 1000 the line to get in was snaked back on itself three or four times in the lobby, then extended out the door and about 1/2 way down the building to the parking lot.

They improved the parking, too. The first two rows were roped off for Blue Hang Tag people, you know, the ones that park in the handicapped spots, pull the tag off the visor and hang it on the mirror, then sprightly hop out of the vehicle, grab a longgun and a pack, and commence to walk about 4 miles up and down aisles. Must be MENTALLY handicapped, because the disabilities sure don't show. Either that, or the tag's for chauffering Grandma to the doctor. But I digress . . . Rant off.

Prices were generally in the "price high and hope for a sucker" range. An original later model 1886 just inside the door was tagged around $3200, IIRC. Lots of model 94s in various vintages, but no real standouts. More than a few original Marlin 93s and 94s, generally in the $600-$900 range, but most "had issues," as Sixgun was heard to comment. I did see a B-92 in 44 Magnum with box and papers for $639, but it was advertised as unfired, there was lead on the lands visible beneath the thick layer of protective dust in the bore, and the seller's lackey refused to cut the cable tie. "Don't want the action worked on an unfired gun, ya know . . ." O-tay. My eye caught a Belgian SAFN-49 in 30-06, but the dealer thought it was made of precious metals or light sweet crude oil; it was at least $300 too high. I expressed interest, asked his best price, and HE DID NOT MOVE. I opened my wallet and took out the cash and he refused to negotiate, saying that "Did I mention it was a consignment? It's a consignment. My hands are tied." O-tay. I've gone 20 years without a Belgian SAFN-49, I can go a lot longer. NBD.

The bulk ammo guys were doing a land-office (or gas and oil lease office) business. Johns were flocking those tables like parched prospectors around a horse trough after just crawling out of the Mohave. Despite higher prices, it was "stock up" time. Some johns buying four or five 20 rd boxes, others borrowing the vendor's cart to haul out four or five cases of 7.62x39.

The Ruger Collector displays were worth the trip, though. Lots of nice single actions from various periods of Ruger production.

The few dealers I know personally were complaining about the johns buying "trinkets" and "odds and ends" as opposed to guns. That's what I observed, and practiced myself. Bought some AR and FAL parts, a couple reference books, four large-diameter bottle brushes for cleaning SMG receiver tubes and three M3 grease gun magazines. No guns were purchased during the time spent at the show.

I did sell everything I felt like carrying around, and did better than I thought I would; went home about $2000 to the plus side.

Noah
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

I spent Sunday at the show with a buddy and I thought it was just great! It was maybe 25%-30% bigger than the regular Allentown show... prices were generally lower than Allentown or the Philadelphia Armory show... there were a large number of private collectors running tables, which increased the chances of direct, no-papers transactions (not that I PERSONALLY engaged in any, for the RECORD), and there were a TON of really nice Winchester and Browning shotguns (which is what I was there for).

My friend ended up buying a S&W 1911 in blue & walnut attire.... I was really surprised at how well put together Smith's 1911s are these days.

I went with three guns from my collection that I either wanted to "upgrade" or use to fund upgrades/purchases because they were duplicates or redundant. Specifically:

- A Browning A5 16-gauge early pre-Sweet Sixteen Belgian with the trigger-guard safety, a chipped front grip and some significant scratches & whitening

- A S&W M36 1-7/8" square butt, pretty clean, no box, drag line

- A S&W M586-1 6" pretty clean, no box, drag line

I also took an NAA Pug that I recently got for my wife that she just doesn't want (sigh)...

I left the show with:

- A really clean Winchester Model 12 16-gauge solid-rib, all original

- A really clean Browning A5 Sweet Sixteen early round-grip / round-barrel (with the engraving on top where the rib would be on a ribbed model), all original

- A really clean Winchester Model 25 12-gauge (they were only made in 12), all original

I did also spend some cash along with the trades, but not much at all.

On the whole, I had a great day. I saw one guy from the Winchester Collectors Association who I run into at every show I go to in the area... we B.S. back and forth, compare notes, etc. and I always learn something from him. I had some great conversations with other folks too... especially the one guy I picked up the Model 12 from... he was really knowledgeable about the whole model line.

I thought I did very well with my horse-trading all the way up to the last 30 minutes of the show when I walked into the Win Model 25 for $325! After that, I knew I did great for the day!
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. - PA State Constitution