Candy store- with pics

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Candy store- with pics

Post by pwl44m »

Went up to My House in the hills today to do some work and get it ready for next tennants. Went by Huntingtons in Oroville on the way Home, actually it is about 20 miles "out" of the way. I haven't been in there for a while, just wanted to see what they had. Only thing I saw that sparked My interest was a Pre 64 (barely) 94 with a massive after market Octo barrel. The blue on the Gun is xclnt and the barrel is more so. Whole Gun knocking on better than 90%. Even the Shoulder pad didn't look bad. Doc would like this Gun, it has a Scout like scope setup. I threw it up to My shoulder and the scope came right in. I really kinda like it but don't even know what scope it is wearing. The price while kinda high for a 94 but $700 isn't really bad for what it is. The worst thing I could find wrong was that it is chambered in 30-30. While not a bad caliber I would wish for something else. think 38-55, yes the wheels are spinning. It has been there since Sept. on consignment so I'm not worried about it going anywhere. "Dreamin"
Perry
Finally figured it out. Couple pics of the 94 scout. The Oil well was on the internal memory from 2008. bonus
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by pwl44m on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Candy store

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Seems like a nice rifle. It sounds like it was worked over by a gunny that knew what he was doing. BTW never did see the pics of the Colt 22 or Argentine H-P.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

3leggedturtle wrote:Seems like a nice rifle. It sounds like it was worked over by a gunny that knew what he was doing. BTW never did see the pics of the Colt 22 or Argentine H-P.
Oops, blasted slackers anyway. I will get them.
Perry
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Could be worse, Pitchy"s injuns could ride your way in search of warmer weather and easier pickin's :P :mrgreen:
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I'll bet Pitchy wouldn't mind, He prolly could use a break But We are not all that warm yet. My Brother just stopped by for a minute and as I was seeing Him off in My jammies and house slippers it was getting a bit nippy out.
Perry
I migt add in that same candy store is a 92 in 218 bee and a 94 deluxe.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

MY 38-55 WITH THE AFTERMARKET BARREL WAS A 30-30 and a trip to JES reboring voila...38-55 and way more accurate than I am. It really is a great cartridge.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I'll second the 38-55 Jes rifle, really great shooting rig.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

fordwannabe wrote:MY 38-55 WITH THE AFTERMARKET BARREL WAS A 30-30 and a trip to JES reboring voila...38-55 and way more accurate than I am. It really is a great cartridge.
Should I bite the bullet so to speak that is what I have in mind.
The price while it sounds high really isn't much more than what U would pay for a typical pre 64- 94 plus U get the heavy barrel and a Scope. I think I just talked Myself into it.
Wheres Blaine when U need Him. :lol:
Perry
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

He will be along, do not despair.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

If I was in the market ...JUMP ON IT!
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I am going to do it second thing in the morning. The store is 35 miles from where I live. I was going to do it this aftenoon but I wanted to get Home and shower & shave to take My Sweetheart to Dinner. Cross Ur fngers that it is right where I left it.
Perry
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

pwl44m wrote:
fordwannabe wrote:MY 38-55 WITH THE AFTERMARKET BARREL WAS A 30-30 and a trip to JES reboring voila...38-55 and way more accurate than I am. It really is a great cartridge.
Should I bite the bullet so to speak that is what I have in mind.
The price while it sounds high really isn't much more than what U would pay for a typical pre 64- 94 plus U get the heavy barrel and a Scope. I think I just talked Myself into it.
Wheres Blaine when U need Him. :lol:
Perry
Glad that you are going to go back for it. The JES rebore to 38-55 is a great idea. I am determined to send off my 20" 94 Classic to him this year for the same thing. After years of trying to decide, I am going to do it.
eric65
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eric65 »

Legit question; what is so great about the 38-55 that you would convert your 30-30?
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I can't answer for the others but for me: I do like the .30-30 and currently have four, Marlin 336, Mossberg 472, Winchester trapper, Winchester Classic. The 38-55 is a similar round except to me a little harder hItting at similar ranges than the .30-30 because of the larger diameter, heavier bullet. I have a top eject WInchester Big Bore XTR 375 that I shoot both .375 Winchester and .38-55 Winchester through. I've wanted a dedicated .38-55 rifle for quite awhile and decided that my octagonal barreled Classic would suit the cartridge perfectly.

Whether it is any more effective than the .30-30 really doesn't matter. I handload somewhere around 30 different cartridges just because I find it fun, interesting and challenging. Could I pick three or four of the cartridges out of the 30 or so that I load to handle all of my hunting/shooting "needs"? Of course, but where is the fun in that?
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Tx Guys, U can uncross Ur fingers now, it is in lock down for 10 days. It was exactly where I left it. Btw it is wearing a Leopold Scout scope, I'm assuming the scout part. Now U may call Me "Stupid" I took My camera in to get a couple pics and wouldn't Ya know it- My card was in My computer at Home and the internal memory was full except for 1 pic which I got. Now if I can figger out how to get that pic from internal to My card I will post the one pic. Otherwise You will have to wait till the 25th.

In answer to the Question "what is so great about the 38-55" What aint so great. :lol: Really I have been wanting a 38-55 in a Win since I can't remember. It just has a nice RING to it and it is one of the Old great calibers. As far as converting a 30-30, they r a dime a dozen so I have about a nickels worth, maybe more- these things Breed Ya know.I suppose it would hae been cheaper to convert the one I started on and may still- I have all the parts, I just need time and the tools to remove the barrel and screw the newone on.
Thats all for today---Perry