Do you live in the country and have poor cell reception?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Do you live in the country and have poor cell reception?

Post by O.S.O.K. »

If so, I encourage you to get and install a booster - I just put one in and it works like a charm.

I got mine at Best Buy - Wilson, Singal Boost DT desktop. I have the receptor anenta box mounted on a pole behind our house with the cable running in and down to my office - to the booster box and inside broadcast antena. It boosted my cell phone signal in my office from barely one bar (and often no service) to 5 bars - max. It works all throughout our 1600 sqft house giving a min of two bars service.

We built the house into a hill with two walls (side and back) underground with cement walls - also have a 26 guage metal roof that didn't help any. So, we really needed this. My wife was very concerned being alone when I travel for having iffy service in the bedroom. So, this fixed that. She want's to be able and call the police with gun in hand... not have to go outside to make a call after she drops the bad guys :lol:

Not cheap - $300 but worth every penny. Saved me having to get a land line.

And as a fringe benefit - it seems to improve the air card (Verizon Jetpack) signal too - this is our internet service... although it seems on an off....

But the main thing is the constant cell improvement.

Not all of these boosters are created equal from what I understand. The people at Best Buy told me the brand/model that they had previous to this one had a lot of returns from dissatisfied customers.

I will say - you do need to read the directions and pay attention to the distances that are needed between the outside antenna, inside booster box and inside broadcast antenna. There are lights on the booster box that indicate proper signal, etc., so very easy to see if you're good.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: Do you live in the country and have poor cell reception?

Post by Old Ironsights »

Doing route sales in the Sandhills of NE and the scrub between VanTassel & Glendo WY I can relate... so I got the Wilson "Sleek" vehicle cradle. Not quite as powerful as the 5w "Professional" booster, but I can move it from truck to truck more easily. Plus it was 1/3 the cost.

I still run into a few "holes" but not nearly as many.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If you contact your cell provider under some circumstances they will provide a booster for you.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I posted a review on Best Buy. They carry about 10 different products from Wilson now. I will emphasize that you do have to follow the directions when installing. When I tried it prior to installing and didn't follow the guidlines, the service was improved but not much...
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Rusty wrote:If you contact your cell provider under some circumstances they will provide a booster for you.
I didn't try that!

The thing is, the service right outside the house is fine - behind it, it's better - like 3 bars. So, its not the cell service, its our house - blocking the signal. But this gizmo not only got the signal inside the house, it boosted it by 40% or so.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

How many reception bars did you have on your phone before the booster and then after?
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

In my case, often one or less before and full bars after.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Thanks, this is good to know.

we don't get cell reception in the hollow (hollar) we live in - and our only internet option is this little verizon device that plugs into a usb slot on the computer and it barely gets reception enough to get online - but only if we sit right next to a window.

I'll have to look into a booster
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

O.S.O.K. wrote:If so, I encourage you to get and install a booster - I just put one in and it works like a charm.

I got mine at Best Buy - Wilson, Singal Boost DT desktop. I have the receptor anenta box mounted on a pole behind our house with the cable running in and down to my office - to the booster box and inside broadcast antena. It boosted my cell phone signal in my office from barely one bar (and often no service) to 5 bars - max. It works all throughout our 1600 sqft house giving a min of two bars service.

We built the house into a hill with two walls (side and back) underground with cement walls - also have a 26 guage metal roof that didn't help any. So, we really needed this. My wife was very concerned being alone when I travel for having iffy service in the bedroom. So, this fixed that. She want's to be able and call the police with gun in hand... not have to go outside to make a call after she drops the bad guys :lol:

Not cheap - $300 but worth every penny. Saved me having to get a land line.

And as a fringe benefit - it seems to improve the air card (Verizon Jetpack) signal too - this is our internet service... although it seems on an off....

But the main thing is the constant cell improvement.

Not all of these boosters are created equal from what I understand. The people at Best Buy told me the brand/model that they had previous to this one had a lot of returns from dissatisfied customers.

I will say - you do need to read the directions and pay attention to the distances that are needed between the outside antenna, inside booster box and inside broadcast antenna. There are lights on the booster box that indicate proper signal, etc., so very easy to see if you're good.
Living out like you do, we have spotty cell reception as well, and have wondered about the booster. Nice to see a good report. For the internet, we had the Verizon MiFi for about a year and a half then switched to satellite which wasn't much better, for speed or reliability, UNTIL they finally got Excede satellite service up and running. http://www.exede.com/

I have no affiliation other than being a customer, but I regularly get down load speeds in the 10GB or higher and uploads of 2GB. On occasion it slows but all in all pretty darn good. Compare that to the first satellite service where we were lucky to get a 1GB download. We were getting about a 1GB download with the Verizon as well.

The have several plans, all the same speeds, just varying bandwidth limits. We have the bottom one of which allows 10GB a month of downloads for $49.95 a month. Between midnight and 5AM it is free, if you are a subscriber. In other words, the bandwidth usuage is not affected at ll during those hours.

The bandwidth limit does not really allow us to do something like Netfliks unfortunately, because a 2hr HD movie would eat about 5GB alone, leaving the other 5 for the rest of the month. There is more bandwidth available at higher prices. Just depends on your budget.

I mounted my dishes for Sat TV and Sat internet, on poles cemented into the ground, per their specs, and ran the lines under ground in 2" conduit into the house. The house is new and no way was I letting these yahoos drill in my roof.

Anyway, thought I would mention this option to ya to compare. Not sure how Exede compares to 4G plans for speed and usage. We still only have 3G available in my area, so it was a no brainer.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

FLINT wrote:Thanks, this is good to know.

we don't get cell reception in the hollow (hollar) we live in - and our only internet option is this little verizon device that plugs into a usb slot on the computer and it barely gets reception enough to get online - but only if we sit right next to a window.

I'll have to look into a booster

Take a look at my previous post on internet.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I will look into this :mrgreen:
Right now------its walk out back to the edge of the hill,just don't slip :lol: