Disassembly / reassembly of 9422's

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Roland
Levergunner 2.0

Disassembly / reassembly of 9422's

Post by Roland »

I read online recently that you should not take apart your 9422 rifle more than is neccessary, because it's somehow not good for it? I don't rightly remember now, it was a while ago I read it, might've had something todo with creating wear on the thing and eventually the two halves would be a sloppy fit with each other.

Do any of you know if there's any truth to this, Marlins can be disassembled all the time and are made todo so, is the same true for the 9422's?

I've been planning to get a thumbscrew for my 9422 so I could more easily take it apart but I am not sure if I should just keep it as one piece from now on and only take it apart for when a thorough cleaning is required.
Hobie

Re: Disassembly / reassembly of 9422's

Post by Hobie »

I think they were referring to disassembly beyond that point of mere takedown. Go by the manual.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I've had my 9422 since 76 or 77. I part the receiver to clean it every time I shoot it. I do not disassemble the lower half with the action in it, and have only disassembled the breach bolt twice.

There has been no adverse wear to report.

As Hobie said, follow the manual.

Hobie, where can one find a manual for a Win 9422?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Roland
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Roland »

I found the post that made me wonder about this and it was on a swedish forum and it's hard to translate but essentially it talked about the edges where the two receiver halves met could get bent and make the two halves fit together sloppily. This is of concern to me since I have a marbles tang sight and I was able to attribute one of the worst range days I've ever had to forgetting to check it was snug.

Its made me consider a receiver mounted alternative. I see skinner has one, but I am not sure I like the look, should have been longer like the Marlin alternative is, so it'd meld better in with the lines of the gun, now it looks too boxy.

Manual, btw:
http://media.winchesterguns.com/pdf/om/ ... l_om_s.pdf
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

You would have to bea real fool to damage a 9422 that way friend! If someone did spread the sides just tap them back!

N :)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Never had a problem with mine.
I bought a saddle ring off Joe Miller that replaces the take-down screw, makes it easier to take apart.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

J Miller wrote:I've had my 9422 since 76 or 77. I part the receiver to clean it every time I shoot it. I do not disassemble the lower half with the action in it, and have only disassembled the breach bolt twice.

Joe
Is this what you need Joe:
http://media.winchesterguns.com/pdf/om/ ... 2_om_s.pdf
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Harry,

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I knew the Winchester site had parts drawings, but apparently I missed the owners manuals :oops:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Derenius
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Derenius »

Im the one who wrote that on the Swedish forums...
It´s simple really. If the rifle is taken apart a lot, by someone who does not understand the construction of it, the "lip" on the lower that slots in to the upper gets bent a little upwards. That will cause the rifle to have a slight ability to "bend" between the two halves. The remedy is simple though, take a brass punch, a hammer, and gently tap the lip back down.
The wear occurs when people over the years force the rifle together without having the bolt open, and forces the thing back together. I bought a 9422M about a year ago, that the muzzle could move about .5 inches, but the rear part of the gun was perfectly still. I fixed it, and I even bored the barrel out and put a liner in it, since it shot all over the place. I´m talking 12 inch groupings at 50 yards... After the relining, and generally getting it back to shape, it now shoots one nice hole in the paper at a 100 yards, if the guy holding it does his job right.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Derenius wrote:Im the one who wrote that on the Swedish forums...
It´s simple really. If the rifle is taken apart a lot, by someone who does not understand the construction of it, the "lip" on the lower that slots in to the upper gets bent a little upwards. That will cause the rifle to have a slight ability to "bend" between the two halves. The remedy is simple though, take a brass punch, a hammer, and gently tap the lip back down.
The wear occurs when people over the years force the rifle together without having the bolt open, and forces the thing back together. I bought a 9422M about a year ago, that the muzzle could move about .5 inches, but the rear part of the gun was perfectly still. I fixed it, and I even bored the barrel out and put a liner in it, since it shot all over the place. I´m talking 12 inch groupings at 50 yards... After the relining, and generally getting it back to shape, it now shoots one nice hole in the paper at a 100 yards, if the guy holding it does his job right.
New one on me,,,, thats not difficult though! In saying that I have seen some weird things folks have done to guns!

Glad you fixed it and congrats on the liner 8) .

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I see no reason to take my two apart....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

BlaineG wrote:I see no reason to take my two apart....
If you shoot them enough you will eventually.

Joe
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Blaine, How can you say that??
Isn't it kind of like an unopened christmas present? You just HAVE to see whats inside and how it works? :lol: :lol:

When I was about 18, I decided that I was going to take my dads 86 apart. I started by loosening up the hammer screw, and felt the screw move due to the main spring pressing on the hammer stirrup. I promptly worked feverishly for the next 20 minutes getting the screw back in the hole. The next time I attempted it was when the gun was mine and I was about 52 years old. (And no, I did not start with the trigger screw the second time!) :lol: :lol:

When my 9422 needs a thorough break down, I won't hesitate, but its not there yet, so I won't fix what ain't broke. :wink:
Derenius
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Derenius »

Well, I see one good reason to take them apart. The reason I had to reline mine, was that some owners liked to take it apart, some didn´t. The ones who didn´t, buggered up the bore from the muzzle, and about 5 inches in. Well, here in Sweden, a rifle cannot be under 17.7" to be legal for hunting. If I had cut it down to where the bore was good, it would have been an illegal firearm. The reason it was so bad, was that someone cleaned it from the muzzle end, and did it the wrong way for a great deal of time. So, when ever someone asks me how to clean one of these, I tell them to GENTLY, and with the lever open half way, take a well fitted screwdriver, or a coin, take the takedown screw out, and clean it from the breech end. At the same time, clean out all of the powder that is in the action, and if you are feeling gutsy, take the action apart and clean EVERYWHERE! These guns get really dirty, simply because the round is prone to leave unburnt powder behind. That´s not something you want perculating inside your action.
That being said, if you dont feel comfortable taking your gun apart, just study it for a while. It´s really a simple design, once you understand how it all works. I find it hard to put it tigether the wrong way, actually. As long as the barrel is still in the upper, all is good. That pesky pad over the breech is a b**ch to get back in place...
Anywhooo....
If there is anything in dissassembly, or assembly you need to know, feel free to ask. I have had this thing apart so many times i had dreams about it for a while...
Derenius
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Derenius »

One other thing to remember...
The 9422M in .22WMR is a jacketed round. It DOES foul your barrel just like a centerfire jacketed round does. With a .22LR, you can get away without cleaning for a great deal of time, but not these. If you neglect it, it WILL develope tight spots and build up, just as your thuttyoughtsix, or treeoeight. Just keep that in mind.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

J Miller wrote:
If you shoot them enough you will eventually.

Joe
:roll: If you'll join me in the 21st century, I'll show you how to do it, and maybe you can leave your bear skins and stone knives for something else :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I'm guessin' they don't have an Outer's Foul-Out III, Blaine............... 8)

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

J Miller wrote:I've had my 9422 since 76 or 77. I part the receiver to clean it every time I shoot it. I do not disassemble the lower half with the action in it, and have only disassembled the breach bolt twice.

Joe
I linked to it...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Roland
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Roland »

I did not know about the lever having to be open half-way, did not see it in the manual, it seems to say the lever should be closed, but if that helps I will do it like that from now on.
Derenius
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Derenius »

I find it relives some tension on the bolt, and to boot it makes the job of getting the bolt out easier.