Rimfire ballistics - I like AmmoGuide.com

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Rimfire ballistics - I like AmmoGuide.com

Post by AJMD429 »

A link to this page was sent to me in my AmmoGuide email 'newsletter' this week, and it looks interesting.
AmmoGuide.com isn't very costly and I find it full of interesting information along with the reloading data parts.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Rimfire ballistics - I like AmmoGuide.com

Post by BAGTIC »

It seems the BC increases as the velocity diminishes. Sure would be interesting to know the BC of the Aquila 60 grain subsonic load.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BAGTIC wrote:It seems the BC increases as the velocity diminishes. Sure would be interesting to know the BC of the Aquila 60 grain subsonic load.
Way back in the olden-days I wrote a software program that calculated ballistic coefficients from real-world data if you could get a muzzle-velocity AND a 100-yard velocity (if you were brave enough to use your chronograph at 100 yards for fear of hitting it). I'm sure someone nowdays has software to do that, although not seen it first-hand.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

AJMD429,
I never kenw that you were a software programmer. This may interest you:

Colin has been testing Android software that "hears" the shot and the bullet strike and depending on known parameters, can determine the shot velocity at the muzzle and target,the flight time and trajectory, and some other stuff I do not remember at the moment. Interestingly, the most challenging analysis and design involved analysing the sounds to filter out ambient noises such as wind, conversation, cars, etc. We did alpha tests at RKrodles range last year in a 20 mph wind and things that worked well at pistol ranges became somewhat fuzzy at 100 yards.

The math was tricky and he often remarked that he was finally getting to apply some of the things learned in his college physics courses. This will be another Xplat product when it is ready for prime time as an adjunct product to the reloading ballistics app.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Fascinating. I left the 'programming' world during the time when one could write 8088-based assembly-language for the routines needing fast processing, then use TurboPascal or other compilers to make code for the pre-Windows Microsoft environment. I've not even figured out how to write anything in the 'Windows' environment or for the various smart-phones. I suppose if I were a lots-of-time-on-hand college kid nowdays I'd be writing "apps" galore, and maybe even striking oil and making money on one. I'm too old and out of touch for that now... :(

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AJMD429 wrote:Fascinating. I left the 'programming' world during the time when one could write 8088-based assembly-language for the routines needing fast processing, then use TurboPascal or other compilers to make code for the pre-Windows Microsoft environment. I've not even figured out how to write anything in the 'Windows' environment or for the various smart-phones. I suppose if I were a lots-of-time-on-hand college kid nowdays I'd be writing "apps" galore, and maybe even striking oil and making money on one. I'm too old and out of touch for that now... :(
Heh...

I (re)wrote one of the first interactive web forums in Turbo Pascal (I used the "Pyroto Mountain" source code).

It was called "Watergate II, the BBS".

I was "g.gordon liddy" - the Sysop - and you had to know the correct phone number matching the current time to be able to call/log in. Depending on the time of day/where I was on campus, there was any of 3 different phone numbers you could call... to connect to the BBS I was running on an 8088 with 2 720K floppy drives....

This was 1987...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Ironsights wrote: It was called "Watergate II, the BBS".

I was "g.gordon liddy" - the Sysop - and you had to know the correct phone number matching the current time to be able to call/log in. Depending on the time of day/where I was on campus, there was any of 3 different phone numbers you could call... to connect to the BBS I was running on an 8088 with 2 720K floppy drives....

This was 1987...
Now THAT sounds like some interesting stuff- you'll have to post the full story (now that any applicable statute of limitations have expired) :wink:

Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Old Ironsights wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:Fascinating. I left the 'programming' world during the time when one could write 8088-based assembly-language for the routines needing fast processing, then use TurboPascal or other compilers to make code for the pre-Windows Microsoft environment. I've not even figured out how to write anything in the 'Windows' environment or for the various smart-phones. I suppose if I were a lots-of-time-on-hand college kid nowdays I'd be writing "apps" galore, and maybe even striking oil and making money on one. I'm too old and out of touch for that now... :(
Heh...

I (re)wrote one of the first interactive web forums in Turbo Pascal (I used the "Pyroto Mountain" source code).

This was 1987...
Was that BBS ever part of fidonet?
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

Old Ironsights wrote:
Heh...

This was 1987...
1987?

I was running Leisure Suit Larry on my 8088 during 1987 :shock:

spaceman
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Alan Wood wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:
Heh...

This was 1987...
No, it was pretty much a local deal in and around the OU/Norman/OKC area when I was going to OU.

I had been doing some work with Robert Braver of Microlink (an early Compuserve competitor running an Alpha-Micro setup) and got the bug to play around with my spiffy-new hot-dang Zenith Z-181 Laptop.

A wondrous machine with a greyscale (bluescale) backlit CGA LCD, a pair of 1.44mb floppies, 64mb ram and a 14.4 internal modem... all being pushed by an NEC V20 chip (after I pulled the 8088).

The whole schtick of the BBS/interactive game was a spy theme, so you needed to know which phone number to call at specific times to access the board... which was basically wherever I was on Campus that had a phone jack.

Like I said, it was a pretty simple edit/rewrite of the Turbo Pascal "Pyroto Mountain" system. The OS & Software loaded from the A: drive into a RAMdrive, and the messages were stored on B:

I don't remember the features of the "game" specifically, other than you gained higher levels of access as you posted/played, including the ability to "assassinate" lower level players.

Mostly it was just used as a BBS though.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
eric65
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eric65 »

Um, I can work a typewriter. :?
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

eric65 wrote:Um, I can work a typewriter. :?
That's OK. I still have the Zenith.

Other than a dead battery, it works "fine". My parents used it for years at their County Fair "Church Booth" running a Bible quiz...

Which is rather amazing considering it got "Black Boxed" on Ft. Carson in June '88 for connecting to the "wrong" telephone line... :twisted: :wink:

"Would you like to play a game?".... BZZZzT (smoke, smoke, sizzle....)
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Old Ironsights wrote:
Alan Wood wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:
Heh...

This was 1987...
No, it was pretty much a local deal in and around the OU/Norman/OKC area when I was going to OU.

I had been doing some work with Robert Braver of Microlink (an early Compuserve competitor running an Alpha-Micro setup) and got the bug to play around with my spiffy-new hot-dang Zenith Z-181 Laptop.

A wondrous machine with a greyscale (bluescale) backlit CGA LCD, a pair of 1.44mb floppies, 64mb ram and a 14.4 internal modem... all being pushed by an NEC V20 chip (after I pulled the 8088).

The whole schtick of the BBS/interactive game was a spy theme, so you needed to know which phone number to call at specific times to access the board... which was basically wherever I was on Campus that had a phone jack.

Like I said, it was a pretty simple edit/rewrite of the Turbo Pascal "Pyroto Mountain" system. The OS & Software loaded from the A: drive into a RAMdrive, and the messages were stored on B:

I don't remember the features of the "game" specifically, other than you gained higher levels of access as you posted/played, including the ability to "assassinate" lower level players.

Mostly it was just used as a BBS though.
Sounds like it was fun! I'm pretty sure it was 640K of ram not 64 meg. Something like 12 years later I splurge when I was building my new system and stuffed in an astounding overkill of 256meg! A whole 1/4 gig of memory.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Alan Wood wrote:...
Sounds like it was fun! I'm pretty sure it was 640K of ram not 64 meg. Something like 12 years later I splurge when I was building my new system and stuffed in an astounding overkill of 256meg! A whole 1/4 gig of memory.
:oops: Duuuhhh...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

AJMD429 wrote:
BAGTIC wrote:It seems the BC increases as the velocity diminishes. Sure would be interesting to know the BC of the Aquila 60 grain subsonic load.
Way back in the olden-days I wrote a software program that calculated ballistic coefficients from real-world data if you could get a muzzle-velocity AND a 100-yard velocity (if you were brave enough to use your chronograph at 100 yards for fear of hitting it). I'm sure someone nowdays has software to do that, although not seen it first-hand.
you should be able to get the same data from a safer, shorter range - like 25 yds.