Considering threading & suppressing my Rossi 92

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Roland
Levergunner 2.0

Considering threading & suppressing my Rossi 92

Post by Roland »

I've been suppressing a lot of my guns recently (both ARs, Glock, Ruger mk3) and I've also started to notice I might be getting tinnitus so that's lent me extra motivation for more silent shooting.

I'm wonder whats the best way to go about this, if I decide to go through with this. At a minimum the barrel needs to be threaded and the magtube can't be flush anymore, that seems unavoidable.

So I figure, if I am gonna cut, why not cut all the way to the front sight dovetail and get rid of that not quite 3/8 dovetail? Then thread the barrel and get a new proper dovetail. Following that, move the front barrel band behind the front sight like on this setup, that just looks more useful to me, so I can place the front sight as far forward as is possible, also looking for a sling mount like that:

Now moving the band backwards would require a new relief cut furher back for the bands retaining screw. I figure that screw and relief cut is enough to retain the mag tube? I don't think I need to make a new hole on the bottom of the barrel and instead I just file down the pin that retains the magtube cap like this:

I figure the barrel will end up at 19" or 18.5" after this cutting but I don't think that will make any real difference for ballistics, probably just handles a bit better, I'm also adding a williams peep (had one in my drawer for years, never got around to mounting it). Any comments / ideas on these mods?
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Considering threading & suppressing my Rossi 92

Post by Tycer »

Fun!

That pin on the mag tube cap is to keep the mag tube from slipping out of the receiver. If you shorten it like that you should make sure you have some sort of mag tube retainer. What caliber is it?
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I would in fact keep the longer magazine-cap screw that goes into the barrel-hole; drilling that hole should not be hard to do.

Be sure someone expert in getting it perfect does the threading; many suppressor makers will only warranty their units if THEY thread the barrels the suppressor will be used on, or if they are 'factory' threaded. There needs to be a specific and solid 'shoulder' for most suppressors, as well.

I agree with suppressing whatever you can. Even aside from the noise issue, I think ALL guns should have threaded muzzles so you can put proper crown-protection (birdcage flash suppressors) on them. As a kid I had a nice rifle slide along a workbench it was leaning on, and the angle was just right for the bottom of a bench-vice to hit IN the "protected, eleven-degree crown", so give me a birdcage on all of em... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Roland
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Roland »

Tycer wrote:Fun!

That pin on the mag tube cap is to keep the mag tube from slipping out of the receiver. If you shorten it like that you should make sure you have some sort of mag tube retainer. What caliber is it?
From how I understand the design it should still be retained, the screw attaches to the cap through threads, if I just cut off the unthreaded part that goes into the barrel it should still keep the magtube cap on, but it would not lock the magtube as securely to the barrel. I am not sure if that part is truly required and maybe it even negatively affects accuracy?
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I sort of thought the suppressor would be much longer than that one.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Roland
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Roland »

There are all kinds. I still haven't found a .44 cal suppressor I like. The only ones I've seen have been huge (actually .45-70 suppressors), too large for me. I want something not much thicker than my current 9mm suppressor. I might have to go with a custom a solution (I found a company in sweden that might be able to help) unless I manage to find some other product.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

That pin keeps the mag tube from moving out of the receiver. Not the cap. If the mag tube moves forward just enough to catch a cartridge head between the tube and receiver and you force the lever you can bend the carrier. The pin indent in the barrel can be oval or oversize a bit, just don't let the mag tube slide forward enough to catch a rim.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

I keep thinking about threading and suppressing my Rossi 92 too. Mine is 44 MAG so I would probably go for an AAC TiRant 45. Probably have the barrel threading and mag tube reduction done at American Precision Arms. Of course I am dreaming about a Ranch Hand in 357 SBR'd with a carbine stock and threaded for a 9mm suppressor. Now that would be one handy levergun.
The time has come to stand for all we believe in.

Glock Certified Armorer
Roland
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Roland »

Tycer wrote:That pin keeps the mag tube from moving out of the receiver. Not the cap. If the mag tube moves forward just enough to catch a cartridge head between the tube and receiver and you force the lever you can bend the carrier. The pin indent in the barrel can be oval or oversize a bit, just don't let the mag tube slide forward enough to catch a rim.
I understand, but it also keeps the cap on securely I believe. Nonetheless I will have the hole drilled just to make sure it stays put then.
Roland
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Roland »

Irelander wrote:I keep thinking about threading and suppressing my Rossi 92 too. Mine is 44 MAG so I would probably go for an AAC TiRant 45. Probably have the barrel threading and mag tube reduction done at American Precision Arms. Of course I am dreaming about a Ranch Hand in 357 SBR'd with a carbine stock and threaded for a 9mm suppressor. Now that would be one handy levergun.
We don't have many large caliber suppressors here sadly and pistol suppressors are even more rare (and mostly 9mm). I wonder if I might have to try building my own (perfectly legal too).
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Roland wrote:We don't have many large caliber suppressors here sadly and pistol suppressors are even more rare (and mostly 9mm).
I thought about the 'build your own' concept, and it would potentially save some money, but the option I've currently chosen is to order a Mystic (LibertyCans) 9mm suppressor. It can be taken apart, so shooting lead bullets is a bit nicer since there is some residue you get (not near as much as with rimfire though). It's rated for subsonics loads up to 35 Remington and .308 Winchester, too.

Hopefully I'll get it in the next few months once the 'authorities' decide I'm not some reincarnation of Jack the Ripper or John Dillinger... :roll:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

PM sent with more info.

It is not the critic who counts