38/55 long vs short brass questions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

38/55 long vs short brass questions

Post by Mac in Mo »

I have tried to search the forum for this topic and came up short.
I will soon have the funds to send my Marlin 336 off for conversion to 38/55. Between the two, is long or short brass/chamber preferred and why? Is factory brass one or the other?
I will be using the gun to hunt Missouri whitetails, in the woods.

Thanks, Kevin
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: 38/55 long vs short brass questions

Post by Old Savage »

New factory brass is the short stuff. That is what you want and the chamber you want.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

OK. That makes sense. I would definitely prefer to use factory cases. Does the long stuff come from .375 cases used as 38/55?

Thanks OS

Kevin
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

No they are actually shorter. 375 Win in Marlin and Win are actually chambered for the 38-55 - Paco wrote an article mentioning this - probably available on this site - Google 38-55 Winchester - you will find a number of interesting articles.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Yes. I am sure I read Paco's article before. I probably have it printed our somewhere. Thanks for the reminder, I am looking it up now.

Kevin
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I disagree. The standard chamber is the "long" chamber. You can get the "long" brass from Starline. The ONLY reason the brass makers went to the "short" brass is to use the same tooling and blanks as with the .375 Win and .30-30.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

JT has an article on the 38/55. He states that the long brass(2.1295) was shortened to 2.039 when smokeless powder started being loaded at the factory.

Starline calls the short(2.080) case the "standard" and the long(2.125) the "original". They also say that the long can be used in "most" guns.

Robert Lotto, if you see this can you throw some thoughts in on this.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

So Hobie - will the Win and Marlin 38-55s chamber the long brass and are the modern Marlin and Win 375s cut for the longer brass too?

Mac - Taffin is talking about 38-55 brass to 30-30s in that statement recheck that article.

Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

OS You are right. I need to wear my cheaters more, I still resist, but commas and periods are getting confused more and more often.

So, I am still researching. I saw some search results that were on marlinowners that I will read through.

Based on what Starline lists, I am thinking the short is the way to go.

Thanks for the replies so far, OS and Hobie.

I know there are several here who have had the JES reboring done and hope to here from them.

Kevin
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

The original brass was the long version. Starline may sell both the long and the short. If you are chambering for the 38-55 then it won't make a difference what you chamber it to, so long as you acquire the right length brass to go with it. I'm not 100% that the cases became shorter with smokeless powder, because I had some old Dominion 38-55 cartridges, the high velocity version, and they were of the longer brass variety. I doubt the cartridges were older than the early 1960's. If you own an original 38-55 from way back, then you want the long brass.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I have a old 94 & a newer marlin CB in 38-55, both well chamber the long starline brass
my reason for the long brass is that its thinner & I can load 382 dia. cast bullets & chamber them
in the old 94, the new Win brass wont work

ollogger
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Old Savage wrote:So Hobie - will the Win and Marlin 38-55s chamber the long brass and are the modern Marlin and Win 375s cut for the longer brass too?

Mac - Taffin is talking about 38-55 brass to 30-30s in that statement recheck that article.
The .38-55 has been loaded with smokeless a long time before the makers went to the short brass. IME, every .38-55 I've shot has been able to use the "long" brass without a problem. Indeed, the "long" brass can be used to eliminate some problems. I have both and in my current .38-55 (which has the .375" bore) can shoot all of it with any bullet EXCEPT the 220 gr. Hornady bullet intended for the .375 Winchester unless it is seated rather deeply in the "short" case.

It is my personal opinion that there is no advantage to mucking about with the normal chamber and a lot one can lose through unintended consequences.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

If the new 38-55 Marlins and Winchesters will chamber the longer brass I stand corrected as I thought they were chambered for the shorter brass.

Now - are Marlin and Winchester 375s chambered for the longer brass also - they will use the shorter 38-55 brass?
Last edited by Old Savage on Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Hobie has it right. I buy the long brass for use in my Marlin Cowboy . I made up a chamber length gauge to check my chambers length and trimmed exactly to that length any that were over(I don`t remember if any were too long though). After firing they come in a little shorter so I re size and trim again to .010 less than the chambers length. Good to go! :wink:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Now - are Marlin and Winchester 375s chambered for the longer brass also - they will use the shorter 38-55 brass?

ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Old Savage wrote:If the new 38-55 Marlins and Winchesters will chamber the longer brass I stand corrected as I thought they were chambered for the shorter brass.

Old Savage My 375 Win. will chamber the long starline 38-55 brass

ollogger
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

All the better. More reloading choices. Might make them "back bored" somewhat. If the same is true with Marlin might explain how they were putting a 52,000 cup cartridge in a 336 action supposedly good for about 40,000. :?: :?: :?:

Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Kirk I misread a sentence in JT's article. The BP vs. smokeless length had nothing to do with the 38/55. Sorry for the confusion.

I am thinking I will go with the longer chamber. I doubt the gun will ever see any old factory ammo as long as I own it, but it seems that the longer chamber would be more versatile than the short. Like Hobie stated, no reason to muck with something that works.

Thanks for the input, Kevin
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Hobie -- what is your current 38-55?

I am more attached to finding out what right than being right.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Me = :?

I have a .375 Big Bore 94 with AE, and I'm seriously thinking about a Sharps in 38-55....it would be nice if they could both shoot the same ammo....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

OAL is not a problem in a single shot but has to be kept down to specs in a lever - don't know what that is for the BB Win but 2.55" for the Marlin. What works best in the Win may not shoot well in the Sharps. Ran into that with the 45-70 Sharps/Marlin.

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Old Savage wrote:Hobie -- what is your current 38-55?

I am more attached to finding out what right than being right.
Same here.

My current .38-55 is a Bullberry custom barrel for my Contender. Here's a link to my articles on the .38-55 which include a photo of our late friend Doug Koch aka Buffboy. http://shootingwithhobie.blogspot.com/search?q=38-55
Sincerely,

Hobie

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You know I guess my specific question now is the length of the chamber in the Marlin 375.

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Somebody here must have a Marlin they could do a chamber cast on...
Sincerely,

Hobie

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I do but can't in my present condition - but if someone had one and the long brass they could just see if it chambers.

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

My old Marlin Safety chambers Starline just fine. but with a 383 bore the chamber could be a little long too.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif