Shotgun Inserts

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Shotgun Inserts

Post by Panzercat »

So all the talk about coach guns got me thinking adding a double barrel to my collection (again), but I've always been fascinated by the combo rifle, especially when you could take a normal shotty and use chamber inserts for the caliber of your choice. Anybody have any practical experience with these things? The smaller ones don't seem to have enough rifling to do a job, but I'll occasionally see 8" inserts that appear to be ideal. That and only a bare handful of people seem to actually produce them. Rifle inserts appear to be few and far between as well.

Are these things fun to be had or a waste of money?
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Shotgun Inserts

Post by gamekeeper »

I have a Gaugemate 16ga down to .410 and I can honestly say it does everything the makers claim, in the UK it would be difficult to get hold of rifled inserts, mores the pity.. :roll:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

I have an EAA shotgun with 4570 tubes installed. I added sites and a trigger job. Best 600 dollar 4570 double rifle you can buy!
these tubes are still available on their website.
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Unless you do it the way rbertalotto did, my guess it would become boring real fast. You know, heavy trigger pull, no sights-----the main part. You would be guessing where the bullet would go and would most likely put it away in the drawer after about 30 rounds. Just my thoughts.-------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have the Gauge Mate in the 20 down to .410 and they work well in a double. The shot opens up very quickly, and they are good for short range work. There is not enough kick to notice. I don't know a thing about the rifle caliber inserts.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I've owned several over and under 12 gauge guns over the years that had tube sets and I could shoot 20 , 28 and 410 in the gun with the variouse tubes in place .

The two companies leading the way in this are Kolar and Briley if one is of a mind to tube their shotgun .

A good set of tubes for an O/U or SxS from either of those compainies will set you back $1600+ now . I think the last set of Kolar AAA tubes I got back over 20 years ago was $1200 then for all 6 tubes with screw in chokes . Now the same thing is about $1850 I believe .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

One of our resident machinists should try making a couple out of old rifle barrels; if the muzzle were designed to be 'aimable' via rotating eccentric shims or setscrews in the screw-in-choke area, one could conceivably 'regulate' them quite well, I would think.

I don't know about use on a 'coach' or sxs type shotgun, but if you got the stronger action of an Encore, or Handi-Rifle 'rifle' receiver, which handle high-pressure centerfire rifle anyway, I would think you could have some nice possibilities, perhaps limited by the surfaces preventing forward motion of the insert. Even if it were just limited to 'pistol' and low-pressure rifle cartridges, it would be cool to have.

If you could do it in a side-by-side or over-under though - you could go out with your double barrel 12 gauge one day, then next day substitute a .45-70 or .30-30, or .32-20 for one barrel, or maybe a .38-55 in one barrel and a .22 LR or .410 for the other.

I suppose the 'competition' is the regular 'switch-barrel' guns that aren't that costly nowdays, and can add a VERY accurate rifle barrel, with scope mounted and already sighted in, if desired.

Still would be cool in a double-barrel version of some sort, even if the 'lower' barrel were always the same 12 gauge or whatever.

I like this site - http://www.mcace.com/shotguninserts.htm:
Inserts.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

What you do is, cut all that fiddle out n' get one of these;

and a .690 ball mold fro Lee and load one tube with shot and t'other with ball, job done n' never look back :D

N 8)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Shotgun firing pins are too large in diameter for high pressure rifle cartridges. Full length rifle tubes would make for a very heavy gun. Of course when on safari the rich folks have a gun bearer to do the heavy work. :lol:
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

FWIW I bought a couple of chamber inserts from MCA and they are top shelf all the way.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

The general consensus seems to be that mcace is a pain in the butt to get a hold of to actually buy anything.
It's too bad nobody makes these in something like .223 and such.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Bunch of pictures of the Bakail EAA shotgun conversion in the photo album here:

www.rvbprecision.com

http://public.fotki.com/Rbertalotto/thi ... -bounty-h/
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

robert,
most impressive.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Thanks!
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

6pt-sika wrote:I've owned several over and under 12 gauge guns over the years that had tube sets and I could shoot 20 , 28 and 410 in the gun with the variouse tubes in place .

The two companies leading the way in this are Kolar and Briley if one is of a mind to tube their shotgun .

A good set of tubes for an O/U or SxS from either of those compainies will set you back $1600+ now . I think the last set of Kolar AAA tubes I got back over 20 years ago was $1200 then for all 6 tubes with screw in chokes . Now the same thing is about $1850 I believe .
dittos

i'd like to have a drilling....2 shotguns and a rifle...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Was real mpressed with your drilling the barrel on the 73 from both ends, .250 at a time.
That was the way I cambered my 6.5-06.
The powerwash was on, hand advanced with a dedicated ratchening wrench .250 at a time.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I would love to try 45-70 inserts in my sxs 12 ga someday, but I guess I'll just have to
play with the 16x16x8x57Jr (drilling) my dad gave me for now. ;)
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

Nath wrote:What you do is, cut all that fiddle out n' get one of these;

and a .690 ball mold fro Lee and load one tube with shot and t'other with ball, job done n' never look back :D

N 8)
Already did but mine is a straight stock.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

These two companies Dina Arms, and Short Lane both manufacture shotgun adapters at reasonable prices:

http://store.dinaarms.com/
http://www.gunadapters.com/
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31