Handgun Scope on Rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Handgun Scope on Rifle

Post by GonnePhishin »

I understand that handgun scopes have a much longer eye relief. But are there any reasons NOT to use them on a rifle? I was thinking if I got one for my Ruger 100, I could mount it on my '94 MarlinCB.357
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Handgun Scope on Rifle

Post by Mescalero »

Sure,
Then learn ( teach yourself to shoot with both eyes open ) you will wonder why anyone would do anything different.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Just did that on my Marlin 45-70. I love it. Like Mescalero said, it's awesome to easily shoot with both eyes open while looking through the scope. Much quicker target acquisition.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Udy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Udy »

I put a fixed 4X Leuopold Handgun scope on my 450 marlin for a while. I was less than inpressed. I don't know how it would compare to a long eyerelief rifle scope, cause I never used one before, but I gota assume they are simmilar, or hopefully better. At any rate it worked fine-as in if sitting at a bench siteing it in, then no problem. But it just holding it up at your shoulder to fire then it becomes dificult. The field of view sucks and its hard to pick up any thing and know what your shooting at. If you got time to site and aim then no prob. But it is slow to target acquisiton. Merly my opinon.
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

This set-up works REAL Well for me. A 2x Bausch & Lomb in an XS Systems "Scout Mount" on my 45/70 Guide Gun. I had previously acquired the scope when I had J.D.Jones ( SSK Industries) scope my .375 JDJ Contender bbl. He recomended the B&L based on his experience mounting them on heavy kicking handguns. Long story short...even though my "Aging eyes" needed help, I really disliked having the scope on my Contender. Went with a Leupold-Gilmore Red Dot instead, and like that set-up MUCH better. If you're still reading...I should qualify all these decisions by telling you that both these guns were being set-up for shooting up-close-and-personal. Under 100 yds. I've killed Whitetail with the Guide Gun @ 30 yds. LONGEST Shot was about 70-75 yds.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I am of the opinion that on rifles used at about 150 yards or less, a handgun scope is a great asset for those like me who spend way too much of the day looking at things close up.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Shooting with both eyes open is no problem since I already do that. I could never understand why someone would close the non-dominant eye when shooting.

I've never ever used a scope before on any type of shootin' iron. That's why I asked.

I'll look into the red dot thing, though.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Give the scope a try, you will be amazed.
Takes some practice but once you got it......... you got it!!!!!!!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

UncleBuck wrote:I could never understand why someone would close the non-dominant eye when shooting.
Some of us shoot right-handed but are left-eye-dominant though - so we more or less have to close the left eye.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

AJMD429 wrote:
UncleBuck wrote:I could never understand why someone would close the non-dominant eye when shooting.
Some of us shoot right-handed but are left-eye-dominant though - so we more or less have to close the left eye.
Same here only backwards. I shoot left handed but am right eye dominant.
The Lord Bless You

Terry
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:
If iris you, I'd try to work past that...better depth perception with both open.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Blaine, you blue my thoughts into a bunch of fragments. I feel a little glassy from that. Maybe I should retina chair for a while before eye drop.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I agree, both eyes open!! Lots better than both eyes closed.
:wink:
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Ya Mon!
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

It's my experience that 2x pistol scopes will work well as scout scopes. Any higher than 2x or variables and the eye relief changes too much or is too short.

There as some downsides, glare/reflection off the ocular lens can sometimes be a problem in the evenings while hunting, low setting sun and all…. of course which way you are facing in relation to the sun comes into play. lol :roll: :lol:
Slow is just slow.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Cas,
Thanks, did not want to get into why you should not go above 2.5 X with this set up.
No amount of my logic can disuade the gadgeteers and ( variable ) scope brain washed people who just don't "get it "
Variable scopes are the bane of good marksmanship.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

BlaineG wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:
If iris you, I'd try to work past that...better depth perception with both open.

might be able to do this......if you are a good enough pupil. or if some one lens you a hand.
cable
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have a 2.5x Leupold scout on my Guide Gun, and another Leupold on the way. The one 3x9 I have on a rifle is never turned up past 4x, and about 3x is good enough for me. The old Masters thought 4x fixed was the best possible scope, and a 6x was for ultra long distance.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've plenty of experience using LER (Long Eye relief) handgun scopes on rifles.

As other have posted, stay with a fixed power 2x or 2-1/2X scope, but THEN check out each potential candidate scope's tech specs on their particular eye relief.

Y'see, unlike riflescopes, which have a set eye (relief) distance of whatever (3-1/2", 4", etc), LER scopes have eye relief "windows" like 9"-17" , 11"-21", etc - within which a "full" sight picture can be had.
Outside that "window, the edges of the sight picture get quickly black, until the scope cannot even be seen through at all.

What's important is which of the various window's distances suit each shooter's combination of rifle, scope placement/mounting on that rifle, and their physical ergonomics (long/short neck, thin/thick face, etc).

After spending my way through more than a few LER scopes that simply weren't correct for me, I found the best way to determine the correct one.

I had an assistant (wifey-poo) measure the distance from my eye to the rear edge of the rear (empty) scope ring (mounted on the rifle), with the rifle in a field (not benchrest) shooting position.

For my rifles, scope mountings & physical ergonomics, that distance (with an allowance for the distance from the rear of the scope ring to the usual position of the rear end/lens of the scope) measured out to 9-3/4" - why the LER scopes with 11"-21" eye relief did me no good (I couldn't get a good sight picture).
OTOH, a handgun scope with a window's lower end of 9" or less to whatever over 12" (like 9"-17") was skookum.

In a nutshell, anyone is well advised to measure/try, before you buy.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Pete44ru,

Thanks for the words of wisdom!

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

?????????????????
Did I not make myself clear??????????????????
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Mescalaro,
THANK YOU ALSO, for you words of wisdom :D

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

This election thing has everybody wierded out.
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Thanks for this information. As I age I'm noticing the ol eyes ain't what they used to be.