The Perfect Lunch ..... and the 1919 1894

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

The Perfect Lunch ..... and the 1919 1894

Post by new pig hunter »

had lunch today at my most-favorite place ..... and departed with a 1919 Winchester 1894 .30WCF levergun !!

Last edited by new pig hunter on Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eric65
Levergunner 2.0

Re: The Perfect Lunch ..... and the 1919 1894

Post by eric65 »

Nice! :mrgreen:
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Nice looking 1894, how did it depart?

ollogger
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Nice old classic carbine! When are you going to try 'er out? I'm looking forward to a range report.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Man I wish the Resturaunts around here sold Guns. No ! wait ! that wouldn't work, My Wife would want to tag along. Nice lookin Winny :lol: and with a nice sight to boot.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I hope you only gave an arm for it (no leg) - the large-headed screw in the rear of the left receiver wall doesn't look kosher to me.

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Kewl for you. Let us knowk how u do at the range.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Looks like the ones we used to carry at work only in place of the large screw was a saddle ring. Every detachment had at least two of them. Great rifles traded them all in when we switched from revolvers to semi auto pistols. I think there were 148 (have a copy of the serial numbers some where) of them..
Great find
It is not the critic who counts
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

It's a "project gun" in that I'll sand down & clean up the stock and forearm, they are quite dirty. And a good cleaning & scrubbing of the metal parts, and general hosedown with RemOil. I've no intentions to do any restoration, I'll just put it in good working order.

Most of the metalwork & bluing still look quite good after 93 years, no big scratches or scuffs.

My first .30-30 ..... sheesh, just what I "need," another caliber in the armory. LOL !! Now to find some inexpensive plinking ammo.

Cheers,

Carl
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

The reciever appears to have been reblued at some point but I like the color. The rest looks original. Fun gun.

Gobbler
Click Click Boom
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

update.

removed the stock and forearm.

Ran a couple of Hoppe's-soaked patches through the bore, then some brushing, then dried it. Then 2 applications of Outer's Foaming Bore Cleaner, lots of blue coming out. Cleaned and dried. More Hoppe's and more bore brushing, patches are now nice and clean. Dried it. Major hosedown of everything with RemOil and laid aside to soak.
Cleaned out the magazine tube and follower and spring, followed by a RemOil hosedown.

Then went after the stock and forearm with some 220 grit sandpaper, water washdown, then some 320 grit, water washdown, then some 600 grit wet-or-dry. Now sssmmoooooth !!!
As soon as they are dry, I'll see what I have in the paint locker in the way of a very light stain to add just a touch a color.

Here's some pics of the after-sanded stock and forearm. Lots of dings and dents, but heck, this wood is at least 93 years old, so don't we all. And I don't know how long Winchester let the harvested wood sit and dry before using it, so this being a 1919 rifle, it could be as old as Billy Graham, he turns 94 next month.

Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

I would be inclined to just rub boiled linseed oil into that wood for a while and call it done.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

Finished things up last night and reassembled. Wasn't worried about getting the wood back to pristine, though a pal of mine told me how to do that. My intent was to simply sand off all the dirt & grease & grime, then add a light touch of color back to the wood.

I wiped on a small amount of "light oak stain" and let it dry, then buffed with 0000 steel wool. The color was just a tad too light. So in my wife's paint locker I found this stuff, in a "maple-pine" color:
http://www.howardproducts.com/prod-restor-a-finish.php

Wiped on a little of that, which added a little more color. (She has more cans of this in dark colors should I want to experiment some day). Let that dry, then more 0000 buffing, then a soft towel buffing. And after yesterday's wet-sand with 600-grit, the wood is plenty smooth to the touch. (I may rub on some furniture wax, still debating that).

Reassembled everything and here's the final pictures (and I have ammo on order):

gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Looks great - my mother's birthyear, I've always wanted one. Just needs a ring to complete!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Nice job, looks great 8)
I have a 1919 in rifle version.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I like the look of your wood. I'm glad you didn't try to take out all the little dings and scars, I think it looks better with them still showing. It shows the gun has earned its keep. Now we have to see how it shoots!
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/