Couple new interesting things from Ruger

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Couple new interesting things from Ruger

Post by AJMD429 »

...or at least ones I'd not seen before... :wink:

Ruger Bisley Shorty in .44 Special - http://ruger.com/products/vaqueroDE/spe ... /5236.html

Ruger Bisley Shorty in .44 Mag - http://ruger.com/products/newModelSuper ... /0818.html

Ruger 77/17 Hornet - http://ruger.com/products/rotaryMagazin ... /7212.html

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Couple new interesting things from Ruger

Post by RustyJr »

Those are some beautiful looking sixguns :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I like the feel of a Bisley grip.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Good for them! I'm sure they had a lot of questions why they didnt build short Bisleys. I heard of one such conversation, the response from the factory guy was that short guns dont shoot as far or something of the sort. The person on the other end of the conversation responded that shorter guns were easier to shoot longer distances, as you didn't run out of front sight as quickly. The factory person was not familiar with that, but may have been listening.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

The short barreled one might be good for a quick draw on a grizz. :lol:
Don`t like it.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

So I assume you already have one of the 17 Hornets on order from your local gun establishment :?:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Pitchy wrote:The short barreled one might be good for a quick draw on a grizz. :lol:
Don`t like it.

Here's what makes horse races -- I love it! :o :wink: :D
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I like that 77 but I am not a fan of those laminated stocks, at least, crazy ones. I HAVE a laminate stock gun but the slices are all of the same wood so it looks somewhat natural. I held off on buying a Marlin XLR for that reason.

Pitchy I agree that 44 mag is a little too short.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

I'm really liking that .44 Special Vaquero. A lot!

Kevin
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Mac in Mo wrote:I'm really liking that .44 Special Vaquero. A lot!

Kevin
Kinda but i`d be havin a hard time giving up my old model
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I like the looks of the .44 Special the best, but admit lusting for a .17 Hornet. However, I like the Savage Accu-Trigger quite alot.

The reality is that I won't be buying any of them, thanks to the Obamacare starting already to screw with us (already we have to lie and under-bill certain government-protected insurances, meaning we lose money with every patient encounter with those carriers - it's one thing to lose money, but to have to LIE to make it happen vs. making a legitimate $15 profit per visit - :evil: ). Anyway, they ARE cool guns, and maybe a month from now we'll all be breathing a sigh of economic relief.

Come to think of it, maybe I should start a fund to buy a celebratory toy if Romney wins; but the down side of it is I still think Bobo will win, and it would just add to my disappointment.

I kind of like the 'camo' laminates though, at least on some guns. I'd like one for a 10/22 like this one from > EABCo...

"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

That 44Mag turns my crank :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Looking at both Bisley's, I see that the .44 Special's a true Flattop, while the .44 Mag has the raised frame ears around the rear sight like most BH's & SBH's - which Flattop's a winner in my book.

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Yes, actually I'd have to agree on the 44 mag, I dont care for the less than 4 5/8" Rugers, but they seem to appeal to many. Nice that they finally started making the shorter guns in the Bisely style, even though I'm not a fan of them. There was no good reason to only make them in longer barrels.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

I have one of the shorty 44 mags with the regular grip. I like it, it is a handfull with full house loads.

Don
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

piller wrote:I like the feel of a Bisley grip.
Double Ditto... especially for heavy loads.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yes - the Bisley's still allow the 'upward rock' of the single-action, vs. the double-action, but do provide three things I find help vs. ordinary single-action grips.
  • 1. The grips put my hand just enough rearward to rotate my middle-finger's knuckle from behind the trigger-guard to being to the right of it. Don't honestly know if this is due to Bisley grip's upper girth being greater, or to it being farther back on the frame, or what, but it really helps.

2. There is more contact with the grip against the upper part of my palm, so that helps me keep the gun from slapping straight back before it rocks up, and this again keeps the rapping of knuckles down to a minimum.

3. The longer handle involves my little and ring fingers, whereas the regular Ruger grip barely even involves my ring finger (leaving me one finger on the trigger and only the middle finger really securely around the grips - and I don't even have fat fingers!). The result is that as the gun does rock up (what helps so much to absorb heavy recoil), the 4th and 5th fingers can start a bit of braking on the process so the snap isn't as abrupt or far.

I have traded and re-bought and re-fitted so my .44 Mag and .45 Colt Rugers have Bisley grips for those reasons. The .357 Mag is a pussycat with the normal loads I usually use, so regular grips are fine for it, and for the .32-20 I have, and the Single-Six. Wouldn't mind Bisleys on them all though, even though not really needed for the low-recoil ones.

I don't like the look of the original/Colt Bisley grips as they curve too far forward by appearance. Never actually fired one though.

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Borregos wrote:That 44Mag turns my crank :D :D

Same here!! I've got more than enough .44 Magnums but I think I need one more!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

The Bisleys look nice enough, but after my experience with a Vaquero in 44-40, I'll pass on buying anything else Ruger.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

44-40 Willy wrote:The Bisleys look nice enough, but after my experience with a Vaquero in 44-40, I'll pass on buying anything else Ruger.
What happened? Did you post on it elsewhere here?

Personally, I prefer the regular modern (non-flattop), non-Vaquero models, as they seem stronger, have adjustable sights, and so on. I like the idea of a front sight I could replace myself, vs. the Vaquero ones, although for a 'point-and-shoot' self-defense or plinking/cowboy gun, I could see the Vaquero advantage.

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

They're calling that adjustable sight flat top a Vaquero, which is interesting I think. It's available in a longer barrel too.

Also, they're offering a new "Single Nine" in .22 mag that I think looks great, but I wish it was a convertible.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The biggest problem I see with the .44 Spec. is that it's a limited production edition sold only thru Lipsey's. They sell out fast, then they're gone. I do like it though.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Love those sixguns, especially the shorter .44 mag. I have one like that in .45 Colt except it isn't a Bisley. That might change one of these days. I just haven't had the nerve to pony up and pay more than 1/2 the price of a new gun for the grip frame, trigger and hammer required for the conversion. If I ever come across a less expensive grip frame I'll probably bite on it.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

shooter wrote:Love those sixguns, especially the shorter .44 mag. I have one like that in .45 Colt except it isn't a Bisley. That might change one of these days. I just haven't had the nerve to pony up and pay more than 1/2 the price of a new gun for the grip frame, trigger and hammer required for the conversion. If I ever come across a less expensive grip frame I'll probably bite on it.
Plus the labor; the new grip frames don't exactly just bolt on and good-to-go - you have to do lots of grinding fitting and polishing, then re-finish them... :(