MARLIN .410 lever?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

MARLIN .410 lever?

Post by awp101 »

With all the talk of 9410s, I went poking around GunsAmerica and found a shop listing a leveraction .410 from Marlin. Bad ID from the seller?

I never knew such a critter existed...
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Was it the original from 1929-32 era, or the new one that was brought out a couple years ago. The early ones get huge dollars, but not swhat the recent offering goes for.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Marlin made a couple of limited runs of .410 336s. There is one at my local Cabelas.

Nice guns, but WAAAY pricy because of the low production numbers.

Much easier/cheaper to get a 336 in .444 and ream it out to .429 smoothbore... which works fine for everyting but .410 factory slugs.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Thanks, it says "NIB" and has a price of $1300. I'm guessing it's a new one.

Waaaaaaaay outta my league! :?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

for 1300.00 you could probably find one of the original ones from long ago. they are much niceer, with light weight shotgun barrel, and better balance,etc.
cable
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I agree ith cable, for that price you could find a really nice original from the late 1920's, and it will grow in value much faster than the new repros.
bobbyjack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bobbyjack »

I'm sitting here looking at mine,and there are no markings on the barrel,reciever anywhere except on the back tang(Marlin Mod 410)and under the lever (1822).

I paid 875.00 in trades/which included 200.00 cash. I wanted it real bad,it
s in GOOD NRA condition,I have only an old 2003 gun book that lists in good around 900-or so!

But chances of ever seeing one again(makes it pretty priceless)or I hope my three year old Grandson feels so!

Bob :)
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

you did good, they are hard to find at that price. you will really love it when you shoot it; have shot a number of grouse with mine.
cable
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

bobbyjack wrote:I'm sitting here looking at mine,and there are no markings on the barrel,reciever anywhere except on the back tang(Marlin Mod 410)and under the lever (1822).

I paid 875.00 in trades/which included 200.00 cash. I wanted it real bad,it
s in GOOD NRA condition,I have only an old 2003 gun book that lists in good around 900-or so!

But chances of ever seeing one again(makes it pretty priceless)or I hope my three year old Grandson feels so!

Bob :)
The markings on the barrel of the Malin Model 410 are actually underneath the barrel, hidden by the forearm wood! I think Marlin used a barrel from one of their .410 pump shotguns, so they just rolled the markings underneath. If you ever take the forearm off you should see the rollstamp.-Vall
DavidS
Levergunner 1.0

Post by DavidS »

It sounds like the new Marlin 410 lever shotguns. I have an original 1929-32 Marlin 410. It is based on their 1893 rifle action,I believe. In two Marlin books that I have,one states that around 2,500 were made and the other book says around 5,500 were made. Although there have been reported serial numbers up to the 8,000 range. Regardless their are not very many to choose from. I looked for one for about 6 years before finding one. Their are two barrel lengths,22" and 26".The shorter one is harder to find.
David S
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Yes, two barrel lengths, plus a deluxe chackered model too! I've heard something under 10,000 made. Brophy just says, less than 10,000 made, but I think the 10,000 number is wrong.
We just don't see enough of these around for Marlin to have made that many. I'd guess it's probably less than 5,000 myself.
Buckeye
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Buckeye »

If all goes well I'll be picking up a NIB 336 in .410...I getting it to sell or trade..I'm not sure what I'll have in her as yet, but unless the deal goes far south, I'll have one by Sat. 3/18 . so interested parties keep your eyes open. :shock: