Colt SAA grips- real or aftermkt ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Colt SAA grips- real or aftermkt ?

Post by pwl44m »

I am looking at a set of Colt SAA grips "original" on e-bay. I don't think they are Colt, I think they are after market. There are no serial #s scribed inside and sans the words "COLT'S HRTD CONN". What say the officials ? If in fact they were original they would make a fair set for and old beater like Mine. The price thus far would indicate after market but it has over 24 hours to go so they could go way up.
Ebay ID# is 120993630549
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
gak
Senior Levergunner

Re: Colt SAA grips- real or aftermkt ?

Post by gak »

My guess--and just that--is you're right, repro. Not necessarily a bad thing if that's what they end up being. OTOH, the guy claims they are "original" and being carved up a bit, you might be looking at a relative bargain. In typical fashion, the seller is incomplete in his info--not saying 1st or 2nd Gen..just "an early gun" - but I can almost guarantee not 1st--they'd be outta sight--and at that orice at best it's 2nd Gen originals. Ok price if it stays at that.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I sold an original 1st Gen grip set last year. I got $150.00 for them, the buyer was a Colt Collector and bought them for a client. He resold them for $225.00. They were about 85-90 % and were not marked. They were from the early 1900 period. I tried them on my 3rd Gen. Colts, and they were smaller. You can usually tell the Originals age as to where the Rampant Colt logo is embossed on the grip.

A Colt collector's book has all the variants listed.

I would not buy a Colt grip set without a visual study and fit to frame. There are and were different grip frames used by Colt.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

They look original to me. The eagle at the bottom didn't come along til later.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I e-mailed and asked if they are 1st or 2nd gen and the surety of original. I was just concerned about the lack of the Colt name on the inside and not having ser # scribed. They would be going on a 1902 Colt so the outside looks correct and they definitley match the condition of My Colt. Not that My Colt is junk by any means but it does have some dents and dings on the bottom of the grip frame from being used as a hammer.
I await his reply and We shall go from there. If I should end up with these it will only make 12 sets that I have bought for this Colt trying to get the set I am happy with. :lol:
I have set of Walnuts on it now that I sanded the laquer off of and stained them dark and I am so so pleased with those.. Any extras will make table Fare for a Gun Show.
Thanks for the input, the auction has 15 more hours.
Perry
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I got an answer from the owner of the grips. He said they came off a 1st gen Colt, 1910 to 1920 the best He remembers. He put on imitation Pearl as He had the Gun refinished to nickel and Gold (thats what He said). So I will just see what it does tomorrow.
Perry
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

The Vintage Grips we used to buy had the Colt name and a serial no. on the inside. Different for each side since Vintage acquired separate grips and made their molds from those. They were great and about $35.00. Of course Colt sued them out of business on Colt grips. I think they still make grips for many old defunct brands.

Colt called them "stocks" and all military and early civilian had one piece walnut. Military production had oil finish and civilian was varnished. The last military contract was 1891. Civilian revolvers changed to two piece hard rubber with the eagle in 1882 and stayed that way until 1896 when the eagle was dropped and the plain checkered were kept until the end of production in 1940.

Unless you try them on your revolver you won't know for sure if they fit really well since individual fitting was done at the factory before bluing. The reason for the serial no. inside. And too, anyone can scratch a serial no. inside the grips.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

What M.M.Wright says is all true. Even so, if claimed to be 1st gens, I'd jump on them, as they're not that bad shape considering the era--and your stated gun's condition, sound like a perfect match...And, as mentioned, the 1st's are smaller than later 2nds and 3rds--they're probably in the zone for you. If not, and they cannot be made to fit (ie, too small) you can resell pretty quickly.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I might have shot Myself in the foot, they are now up to $92 with 3 + hours to go.
MM, thanks for the info. What is still lacking is the Colt name on the inside. Is it suppose to be there if they are Colt stocks ?
Perry
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Well , Real or Aftermarket they Are Mine. Paid $137.50 for them, which aint bad if they fit decent and they complete the look of My Colt.
I also bought a Marbles rear sight off e-bay this morning for 1 of My 94 Carbines.
Perry
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have a set of 2nd or 3rd gen grips, they have "Colt's HTFD Conn" printed on the inside of both grips; and, the last 3 of the ser # are hand scribed. I haven't handled enough 1st gen guns to know if they should or not. And my copy of the Colt Variation is not at hand... But I don't recall seeing in there any commentary about that.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

Those are original gutta percha 1st Gen stocks. The Colt address on the insides of the panels didn't come about until the 2nd Gen stocks. You did quite well on the price. I would have happily paid that if I needed a set.
.........THE TWINS..........

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

cubrock !, where have U been. Thats the definitive answer I have been looking for. That was the only thing I was really concerned about. All the other Posts and answers are what coerced Me to go ahead and buy them, this is just icing on the cake. Kinda like getting a Colt letter after U buy. Thanks to every One for the Help.
Perry
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

Sorry - I didn't see your post until after the auction had closed. Glad I put icing on your cake. :)
.........THE TWINS..........

gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Ya did good!