Perryville Battlefield

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Perryville Battlefield

Post by RustyJr »

Well, we just left the Perryville Battlefield in Perryville, Kentucky. We came up here looking for information on a great great uncle of mine. According to My family tree he died in 1862. From research I've done on the national park's website "Soldiers and Sailors" I believe he was a member of the 39th North Carolina infantry CSA. My cousin said that he thought that he was killed in Kentucky and the end of his enlistment (1862) and the battle of Perryville coincide. I looked at the listing of units and the names of the dead and came up with nothing. Only thing I can figure is that maybe he is among the missing in action or was killed later in the Cumberland campaign.

Are there in other Civil War historians here that might be able to shed some light on this?

I'll try to post pictures once I get home in a few days.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Perryville Battlefield

Post by gamekeeper »

DixieBoy and Charles are well up on the War of Northern Aggresion.( I expect some Yankee with a Tuba will blast me for calling it that)

Interesting post.. 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

All I can say with any certainty, is don't be strictly literal on how the name is spelled. Phonetics and spellin' have little to do with each other. Company clerks weren't always noted for their spellin'... let alone the soldiers themselves. I can vouch for that fact, even in census' where I can identify my Step-Grandmother by her siblings' names, (not many "Rue"s or "Tillie"s), Their surname was spelled at least 3 different ways. She was born in 1881, (although she thought it was 1874-ish), & used to tell me stories about her grandfather and father running to ground, avoidin' gov'mint men like they was still going to be conscripted when she was a young girl. Just wished she'd told me her grandfather's name... cain't find nuttin' of her father's family... LOTS of 'em on both sides of her family in the census', but just can't tell which is hers!

Jefferson County, TN

So, now, without an extended trip to Wisconsin, Tenneessee, New York, England, Scotland and Ireland, I ain't got a clue to finding out more information on my ancestors. And, I guess, I'd have to add Germany & Finland in there for parts of the wife's family also!

Where'd I put those Lotto tickets? :P :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

Griff, I know what you mean. His name was Jesse Conley. There was a James Connelly listed but his was an Arkansas unit.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

RustyJr wrote:Well, we just left the Perryville Battlefield in Perryville, Kentucky. We came up here looking for information on a great great uncle of mine. According to My family tree he died in 1862. From research I've done on the national park's website "Soldiers and Sailors" I believe he was a member of the 39th North Carolina infantry CSA. My cousin said that he thought that he was killed in Kentucky and the end of his enlistment (1862) and the battle of Perryville coincide. I looked at the listing of units and the names of the dead and came up with nothing. Only thing I can figure is that maybe he is among the missing in action or was killed later in the Cumberland campaign.

Are there in other Civil War historians here that might be able to shed some light on this?

I'll try to post pictures once I get home in a few days.

RustyJr
Rusty you may already have this:

Conley, Jesse F.
Regiment Name:39th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
Side:ConfederateCompany:KSoldier's Rank In:PrivateSoldier's Rank Out:PrivateAlternate name:Film Number:M230 roll 8Notes:

Conley, Jesse F.
Regiment Name:Infantry Regiment, Thomas' North Carolina Legion
Side:ConfederateCompany:ASoldier's Rank In:PrivateSoldier's Rank Out:PrivateAlternate name:Film Number:M230 roll 8

Conley, Jesse F.
Regiment Name:16th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry

Overview:39th Infantry Regiment was organized at Camp Patton, Asheville, North Carolina, in July, 1861, as a five company battalion. In November the unit moved to "Camp Hill" near Gooch Mountain where it was increased to eight companies. In February, 1862, it was ordered to Knoxville, Tennessee, where two more companies were added. Its members were from the counties of Cherokee, Macon, Jackson, Buncombe, and Clay. The 39th took part in the Cumberland Gap operations, then saw action in the Battle of Perryville. Assigned to Walthall's, McNair's, and Reynold's Brigade, it fought with the Army of Tennessee from Murfreesboro to Atlanta, then endured Hood's winter campaign in Tennessee. In 1865 it shared in the defense of Mobile. This regiment lost 2 killed, 36 wounded, and 6 missing at Murfreesboro and had 10 killed, 90 wounded, and 3 missing at Chickamauga. During the Atlanta Campaign, May 18 to September 5, it reported 16 killed, 57 wounded, and 10 missing. On May 4, 1865, it surrendered. The field officers were Colonel David Coleman, Lieutenant Colonels Hugh H. Davidson and Francis A. Reynolds, and Major T.W. Peirce. Soldiers:View Regiment's Soldiers »

16th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
Overview:16th Infantry Regiment, formerly the 6th Volunteers, completed its organization at Raleigh, North Carolina, in June, 1861. Its members were from the counties of Jackson, Madison, Yancey, Rutherford, Burke, Buncombe, Macon, Henderson, and Polk. Sent to Virginia with about 1,200 men, the regiment was assigned to General W. Hampton's, Pender's, and Scales' Brigade. It served in many battles of the Army of Northern Virginia from Seven Pines to Cold Harbor, was involved in the long Petersburg siege south of the James River, and was active around Appomattox. It had a force of 721 men in April, 1862, lost 33 killed and 199 wounded during the Seven Days' Battles, had 8 killed and 44 wounded at Second Manassas, and suffered 6 killed and 48 wounded at Fredericksburg. The unit reported 105 casualties at Chancellorsville, and of the 321 engaged at Gettysburg, thirty-seven percent were disabled. It surrendered 12 officers and 83 men. The field officers were Colonels Champion T.N. Davis, Stephen Lee, John S. McElroy, and William A. Stowe; Lieutenant Colonels Abel J. Cloud and Robert G.A. Love; and Majors Benjamin F. Briggs and Herbert D. Lee.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

I found this..at...

http://www.bcooper.aaahosting.net/page2.html

•Mary Elisabeth Conley's other brother Jessie Conley was a Private in Thomas' Legion, Co. A. He was killed in action in 1863.

and

http://www.newrivernotes.com/cw_nc/haywood.htm

COMPANY E, LOVE'S REGIMENT, THOMAS' LEGION
NOTE: Haywood companies C and E were first a part of the old 16th N. C. Regiment, which Colonel R. G. A. Love helped to organize here in the spring of 1861. In 1862 they were transferred in a process of reorganization into the 69th Regiment, generally referred to as 'Thomas' Legion'. J. R. Love was at first Captain of old Company A; and after it became Company E (of the 69th Regiment) Julius M. Welch, Lieutenant, was promoted to Capta= in of the Company. Jesse F. Conley and Robert T. Conley also served in old Company A, as did also B. A. Cathey, who was mortally wounded in June 1861. (It is still believed that the unit was "only" called Thomas' Legion)

was Jesse's brother Robert T. Conley?
http://thomaslegion.net/pictures.html

R.T. C. is #5
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

I think I may have found a little more. From talking to my mom he had at least one brother named William D. Conley and I found him listed as being in Company K of the 39th North Carolina with the rank of 1st Sgt. Company K is the same company that Jesse was listed as being in. So I think I'm on the right track, just have to determine where he was killed.

RustyJr