Am Alive

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Am Alive

Post by madman4570 »

Guys------------------I'm back :lol:

Let me say living (in the woods)and having a (event)of 110-120mph min. of sustained wind/or much more???(about 15-20 mins)is not remotely fun.(maybe the time was less because we were not watching the time)
I honestly thought----this might be it.
It was nice/then got black out/hailed about 1/2" size with massive thunder/lightning then Wham(the event)

Guys if you have never sat in your home(even my basement has big Anderson windows,so you could see out)it hit.
The Trees and I am talking BIG OLD HUGE TREES(bent over)One "old blue I call it)about 25 yards from house(huge hemlock)over 5ft in dia )and roughly 150ft high snapped (in half)we heard this BOOM and thought thats it(house gone)nope it fell other way.

So, we survived(in our area/surrounding area------ 5 Tornadoes) confirmed
If it wasn't direct hit ------at least 110-120 mph wind was confirmed (in our area)was the minimum that ya got :shock: .
So I am not sure yet if the tornadoes actually stuck dead on(I think one of em did????)

Absolutely unreal-----have never been through anything remotely close to this nature event.
Wow----------------we are still here.(power finally got back just 1hr ago)3 days later.
Close boys close!

ps-----------when it hit, was sitting there ready for some huge airborne trees to come flying through walkout basement wall and looking down at 40-50 weight plates I just recently painted all spread out(from 125lb each down to 1lb)thinking????????????wonder what these feel like hitting you at a tornadoes speed ???????
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Am Alive

Post by Pitchy »

UFDA, glad everything is ok bro, prayers out for ya.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Glad you made out ok.

We don't have a basement, and I remember holding my 1 year old baby and watching out the front door as a tornado approached, while the wife hung back with our 3 year old. Didn't touch the house, and the nearest downed tree was a 90 ft pine about 75 feet from our house (fell the other way), but another 100 yards and the entire woods (mature beech-maple-hickory) was flattened with some hickory trees 2 feet in diameter twisted three or four revolutions then flopped over.

If I ever build another house it WILL have a basement, or be made of re-bar reinforced poured concrete up to the roof-line (and you don't even want to hear my design for the roof... :lol: ).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

WOW! Glad you all survived that in one piece.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Uffda is right! Wow. Dang glad you made it!

Oly
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mother Nature is a rough old cobb..... :evil:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

My parents are near there. They are ok.

Rode out an F4 tornado couple months ago. Know what you mean.

Don
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Glad to hear it. Just finished cleaning up from a wind storm that passed through here 29 June.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

glad to here everything is ok...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Thanks guys, it is something when Mother Nature gets upset.
I can imagine any worse than what we had like what Don went through!
Take care and God Bless (have a great weekend) :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Man! That must have been somethin'. Your about 200 miles north of me and I saw on the Doppler Radar and your area and central Pa. got it real good I never experienced anything like that. A few toned down hurricanes buzzed on through a few times but that ain't nothin' compared to you.

Everything hold together OK? Cars, house, pets and all?

I'd be worried sick if anything happened to my wheelweight ingots. I better go put 'em in the basement tomorrow------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Add me to the list - so glad you made it ok! Highly unusual type of weather for your area I would think?
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Glad you guys are OK. Nature is able to scare the heck out of a guy sometimes.

Kevin
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Close Baby :shock: ,I have the same fear as I have four 100+ foot oaks behind the house.if one comes down on this place it will be like a pancake. Friends of ours who live in town have a gorgous big home with vaulted celings. it was surrounded by huge sugar maples.years ago one storm landed one of the trees on the ridge of the house and nearly killed our Friends Wife. within a week all the trees were down. Glad Your O.K.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Sixgun wrote:Man! That must have been somethin'. Your about 200 miles north of me and I saw on the Doppler Radar and your area and central Pa. got it real good I never experienced anything like that. A few toned down hurricanes buzzed on through a few times but that ain't nothin' compared to you.

Everything hold together OK? Cars, house, pets and all?

I'd be worried sick if anything happened to my wheelweight ingots. I better go put 'em in the basement tomorrow------------Sixgun

:lol:
Dude, I say get one of them special tornado proof $5K shelters they bury in the ground.
Now, that is just for them nice shiny ingots and you guys can just chance it in the basement. :lol:

Actually, we were absolutely blessed by God,I cannot believe what little damage was done.(at our place)Others not so good!
We are good-----------Dogs great,but it was kinda weird seeing the big wooden Dog House my Lab has(never uses it :lol: )that is normally in the back yard------------------then in the front yard upside down on our deck??????? :shock:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Glad ur okay.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Yikes!

Glad all is good now!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Don't like trees buy the house, the ones around mine I can not cut, if I could I would!

Glad your ok.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Glad you are OK. Wind speed can be a real danger, and that is what makes tornadoes so dangerous.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Never been in anything like that. Glad you're save and intact. Seems like you have a well built house there.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

Larry - Glad you made it out of that mess intact and with not too much damage.

Back in 2004 I had the roof ripped off of my apartment building while I was inside. That was Hurricane Jeanne. Alot of people still don't know this, but hurricanes often come with what they sometimes call "short duration" tornadoes. These usually are in the part of the storm which would be between 12 and 2 o'clock if you view the storm's direction of travel as being 12 o'clock. That slice of the clock between 12 and 2 o'clock is often called "the dirty angle." That's where we were when this crazy storm did a complete about face, and returned to threaten the central part of the east coast of Florida.

You've never heard anything as loud as a tornado if you're close to one. The storm back then was plenty loud, but when this thing was moving nearby it was pretty much deafening. Someone could be a foot away from your face and you'd have to shout to make yourself heard. Now, our tornadoes that come with hurricanes are not the incredibly nasty mothers that visit Tornado Alley in TX, OK, KS and that area. But, when the roof (several tons) is going airborne, and the ceiling is caving in, well, if that doesn't get your attention you don't have a pulse.

Truth is, that storm is the first time I'd ever been honest-to-goodness scared during a hurricane. Thought I might die for a while there. As it was, I got hurt, knocked to the ground when the ceilings came down, broke some back molars (had a flashlight in my mouth at the time, trying to save important things that had just been unpacked from the previous close call 3 weeks earlier), had some pretty deep cuts on one hand and on my back, along with a bunch of bruises. Could have been much worse, didn't have any broken bones. We forget this stuff when we're worried about our own challenges with a coming storm, but these storms kill lots of people every year.

Anyway, glad that you and yours came through things no worse for the wear. Keep one eye open. That's my philosophy with these things. Take care. - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Very interesting info DixieBoy on how those Hurricanes work down there.
You know, this gives me a totally different feeling on anyone that is going to get bad wind coming.

I used to think(while sitting in a big comfy chair/safe and secure watching the news)the reporter would say whoever was going to have a Hurricane hit them (the Hurricane has weakened and wind speed will only be around 100mph)me being ignorant of whats what I would think(everyone should mostly be fine)its only 100mph :roll:

Well friend,now I know.
Next time I hear any place that is going to get hit with 100mph wind,heck even under that (I will think)------God, we pray for those souls cause(that is really bad stuff coming)
Anything over like they get where you described(like in Tornado Alley-----I cannot fathom what something like that could be like.

Last time I had that type pucker feeling was back in I believe 2006
We were on Vacation,it was a drizzly day earlier in the day(we had a rented 2006 Chevy Impala)and thought while vacationing in Maine---lets go see Mt. Washington(when we left,the weather seemed like it was getting better) :roll:

Thought,heck it will be a nice drive----we get the entrance of Mt. Washington(its misty/very slight drizzle)the attendant where you pay to enter(get the CD/sticker/etc)----I asked------ :?: do you think it will be ok trying to drive up there with only this front wheel drive and since its raining a little??????

The man was eating his lunch/burped and said(ya,should be ok)

Well off we go(CD put in)seemed ok-----first time we ever have been there.
Steeper and steeper/now fog/now big wind/we get 3/4 the ways up(looking over the edge of about 1000ft down)
THE ROAD TURNED TO DIRT?---NO---STRIKE THAT---- I MEAN MUD---WITH A LOW CLEARANCE NON 4WD CAR

Here I frigin am----thinking oh sH## BIG TROUBLE/HEY NO ONE TOLD ME THEY RIPPED THE PAVEMENT OUT OF THE ROAD,now its mud(I am thinking if we do make it up----how do we get down)

Bottom line-----with the wife/kid pounding on my back screaming :lol: I got to about(supposedly)300yds from the summit(I found this tiny turnaround)and turned back---as did this Toyota Highlander 4WD coming up behind me.

I thought well if I have to ditch it---its going in the banks ditch and not over the cliffs.But when a car starts sliding on mud????
Needless to say----we slid back down by Gods grace to blacktop.

We we got back down to the man at the gate(which he now closed road,because of rain :evil: )I got out and gave him he##
He said-------you guys got a thrill didn't you :shock:
I said-----do you have any idea with someone not as experienced driving (what could have happened)thinking what if my daughter and friends(which she was almost ready to start driving)
He said-------come back next year----hope to have blacktop all the way up :roll:
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Glad you are OK!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8