tactically typing

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

tactically typing

Post by Grizz »

ref 870 shotgun clones

Does anyone have any experience with this folding stock? In particular I'd like to know if the folded stock will fold over the receiver sight plus the ears?

The alternative I am considering is the M4 style, thus:

Any input? In Alaska I'll carry this constantly as a bear dissuader. It will ride there in a water tight locker. Obviously shorter is handier if the folder will accommodate the rear sight. And the M4 is more comfortable.

input please

thank you

Grizz
1894c

Re: tactically typing

Post by 1894c »

i have seen the M-4 style stock on some SRT team's shotguns lately (popular with the younger LEO's), the one's that have them like the ability to make it smaller, easier to stow, and they like the fact that they can adjust the stock to fit. haven't seen the folder...but that one interests me... as for me my patrol shotgun still has the wood, makes me old-school, i like to think that i'm still in the American League...wood also has a certain "thump" factor, but don't quote me on that one... :)
Last edited by 1894c on Sat May 12, 2012 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Thanks. I've handled the shotties with M4 stocks and I like the short length of pull. Plus the recoil pad helps some. I'd guess the folder would leave marks after a while.

I looked at that folder on u-tube and it looks like the opening is for the mossie safety and it doesn't appear to be large enough to avoid the receiver sight. I'll probably just go with the M4.

Appreciate the info

Grizz
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I have an m-4 version on my bemelli M4 (benelli's)and love it. Can't help with the folder question. Should work. It's open at that point
Last edited by rjohns94 on Fri May 11, 2012 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

They're both made by ATI, which means they're craptacular.

I wouldn't give one to an Iraqi.

If you need a solid folding stock, look at Choate, Butler Creek, or also the Mesa Tactical guys. Their stuff works.

The M4 type stocks don't do much for recoil reduction but they definitely make the gun conformable to the shooter, and smaller.

http://www.mesatactical.com/index.php?id=55

http://www.butlercreek.com/products/sto ... steel.html

https://secure.riflestock.com/catalog_p ... wProduct=0

Choate also makes a top folder, but from experience with the original Remington folder, it tends to smack you in the face hard, and try and amputate fingers. Same design. Avoid it.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Why not take a look at the Knox SpecOps stock? It shortens and has recoil dampening.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

We all need to go back to basic physics.
You can mitigate recoil, you can not alter it.
Keep the wood, install a recoil buffer if you feel you need it. ( hydraulic, in the buttstock ) you need the cheek weld to shoot well.
my opinion.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The Speedfeed IV-S is a pistol grip-and-stock which is fairly short and built like a tank.

You can also install a recoil reducer (mercury type) I believe with minor smithing.

If absolute size is needed, go with the side folders, but they're not going to be fun to shoot.

The Knoxx stocks work, till they break.

And they do, eventually break. On a bear gun, not something I'd chance.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

+1 on the Knoxx Spec ops stock w/ recoil buffer built in.

Have had one on my Mossy 500 for several years now. Allowing a shorter LOP is perfect and recoil from 3" slugs feels like a big push and not uncomfortable or painful at all.

So far I've put about 400rds of slugs, 00 and 000 buck, in both 2 3/4 and 3" through it.

I love it.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.