Flying Over Water

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Flying Over Water

Post by Blaine »

I might be about to lose a bet.....I thought Airlines had to have at least 3 engines to fly over the ocean? :?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Flying Over Water

Post by Pitchy »

Don`t know. :oops:
Last edited by Pitchy on Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

I flew back from Europe in a 757 long range version in 1991. I believe the 787 has been designed more for the Asia market as well.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Nope 2 will do. The DC9 is a twin engine plane the Marine Corps has 2 and they fly accross the pond all the time.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:oops: I owe a cheeseburger to my buddy 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

BlaineG wrote::oops: I owe a cheeseburger to my buddy 8)
Next time ask the experts here BEFORE you bet. :P

BTW, Lindberg did it on ONE engine. Way back when.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

jnyork wrote:
Next time ask the experts here BEFORE you bet. :P

BTW, Lindberg did it on ONE engine. Way back when.
:)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I think at one time there was a requirement for commercial passenger aircraft
to have 3 or 4 engines (I seem to rmember 4!), but it was rescinded several
decades ago when twin-engined aircraft were shown to have enough power
to keep them aloft over long distances. The DC-3 was, I believe, the first
commercial airliner to be able to maintain altitude or even climb on one engine.

(My memory could be faulty, too! :lol: )

-Stretch
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I've never bought into the
two-engine trend (going on 30 years + so I guess should get over it :) ). Eight or so years ago I flew from Phoenix to Maui on a then-newly modified long range 737 outfitted to make that stretch non-stop. Speaking of stretch, I was skeptical that such.mods (actually advertised in terminal posters) were a real "stretch" for that particular little airframe...that such an engineering-marketing decision to begin with was suspect. Anyway, terrible flight due to 5 out of 6 hours very bad chop they couldn't get out of (all other westbound layers full). Not the plane's fault (the weather) but it's the last time on a short wheelbase job like that for such a flight. Judging by the pilot's volume and tone ("Flight attendants, sit down NOW!") I truly believe they were concerned the chop was biting seriously into their range reserve. Flying at night made it worse psychologically! A bigger plane doesn't speak to the two engine phenomenon, as most are that now. The return trip from Hawaii was on a much larger--but still two-engined--Airbus. Still lots of chop but much better ride. Made me feel less concerned about fuel reserves, but didn't help my concern about just two engines! That configuration may be more efficient and cost effective, but over "long water" I still want at least three engines (good ol 727 days), or better yet four! I think Airbus has the only newer frame(s) with four.

Edit - a separate flight back (but same 2-engine Airbus model) carrying other family members had to return to Hawaii *just shy* of the point-of-no-return due to an engine problem. I don't know if three or four engines would have made a difference in that decision--perhaps not--but had they been over that critical line it sure would've made for better peace of mind (and probably would have also for the turn back anyway).
Last edited by gak on Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

stretch wrote:I think at one time there was a requirement for commercial passenger aircraft
to have 3 or 4 engines (I seem to rmember 4!), but it was rescinded several
decades ago when twin-engined aircraft were shown to have enough power
to keep them aloft over long distances. The DC-3 was, I believe, the first
commercial airliner to be able to maintain altitude or even climb on one engine.

(My memory could be faulty, too! :lol: )

-Stretch
I don't mind if you just wing it.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I don't mind if you just wing it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Here we go, boys.....

-Stretch
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

A 747 airliner was flying over the ocean and all of a sudden the pilot comes over the intercom and says: "I'm sorry ladies and gentlemen but if you look out to your left side you'll see that we've just lost power to the inboard engine, but don't worry we still have three more engines."

A little while later the pilot comes on the intercom and says: "I'm sorry ladies and gentlemen but if your look over to your right side you'll see that we've just lost power to the outboard engine, but don't worry we still have two more engines."

About a half hour later the pilot once more comes on and says: "I'm really sorry ladies and gentlemen but I have to inform you that if you look over to your right side again you'll notice that we've lost power to the inboard engine". "AND, IF YOU LOOK REAL CLOSE DOWN PAST THE INBOARD ENGINE YOU WILL SEE A YELLOW LIFE RAFT BOBBING UP AND DOWN IN THE WATER WITH SOME PEOPLE ON IT. BUT DON'T WORRY. THAT'S JUST YOUR PILOT AND CREW AND THIS IS A RECORDING." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Gad! Great minds think alike! I just posted uncle bucks joke and then seen his! I just deleted it.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

no problem, John Denver used to do it all the time.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I was sitting in the window seat on the left side of an Airbus in January 2011 on a trans arctic flight from JFK to Tokyo . We were 5 hours outta JFK when the pilot comes on the intercom and says we have hydraulic problems and are heading back to Detroit . And then he says we'll be dumping fuel now .

I got to watch that out the window and under no means did I find it comforting :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

What you are referring to is if an airplane is ETOPS certified. ETOPS is an acronym for extended operations as re-defined by the US Federal Aviation Administration in 2007. This rule allows twin-engined airliners to fly long-distance routes that were previously off-limits to twin-engined aircraft. ETOPS operation has no direct correlation to water or distance over water. It refers to single-engine flight times between diversion airfields, regardless as to whether such fields are separated by water or land.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

Blaine,

How can you lose on a bet for a cheeseburger? Either way you'll be getting one for yourself too. I happen to think that that was a very smart bet.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Steelbanger wrote:Blaine,

How can you lose on a bet for a cheeseburger? Either way you'll be getting one for yourself too. I happen to think that that was a very smart bet.
True Dat... :wink: A big half pounder, swiss cheese, juicy, pink in the center, two big onion rings on top and fries.... 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

FAA requires a twin engine aircraft to have enough power on one engine to fly the plane to the site of the crash.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Not necessarily. There is a different category for small capacity aircraft. I've flown over water in SE Alaska in single engine aircraft, some on wheels, some on floats. These are scheduled airlines, they have mail contracts just like any other airline. They just kill smaller quantities of folks when they fly into mountains.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

pdawg.shooter wrote:FAA requires a twin engine aircraft to have enough power on one engine to fly the plane to the site of the crash.
:lol: :lol: That's twice funny! :lol: :lol:
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

pdawg.shooter wrote:FAA requires a twin engine aircraft to have enough power on one engine to fly the plane to the site of the crash.
Sorta like the airliner that kept loosing engines and the pilot reassured folks by telling them it would just take longer to get there. Imagine how long it would take to get to the crash site if they lost all the engines. Why, they'd still be up there today.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

JReed wrote:Nope 2 will do. The DC9 is a twin engine plane the Marine Corps has 2 and they fly accross the pond all the time.
That is true, but military rules do not apply to civil operations.

Two engines will do just fine for airline flights, but many added rules come into play to include maintenance that is required above and beyond what would be needed for overland flights. Indeed, both the pilots and the mechanics who maintain the birds must be ETOPS certified as well as the airline itself.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

ETOPS certification requires that the aircraft/airline maintains an in-flight engine shutdown rate for a particular airframe-engine combination that is so low that you can pretty much forget about such a plane losing an engine on any given flight. Not only that, but twin engine aircraft are required to be able to continue a takeoff with one engine out, so they are quite capable of continuing a flight at altitude with one engine, if necessary.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

claybob86 wrote:ETOPS certification requires that the aircraft/airline maintains an in-flight engine shutdown rate for a particular airframe-engine combination that is so low that you can pretty much forget about such a plane losing an engine on any given flight. Not only that, but twin engine aircraft are required to be able to continue a takeoff with one engine out, so they are quite capable of continuing a flight at altitude with one engine, if necessary.
This is good to know that there's such a confidence level these days, but the comfort factor over long water would sure go up (with me) with a few spares! I've only done two such legs (to-from Hawaii) with two engines only--with concern (regarding other factors noted above), following years earlier of four-engine'd legs...to from SF-Honolulu-Tokyo on an Air Force DC-6 going, Pan Am 707 coming, and later 747 to-from Hawaii..Best recent year (decades) experience - the 747, what a smooth incident free flight(s)! Ditto the 707 earlier.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

claybob86 wrote: Not only that, but twin engine aircraft are required to be able to continue a takeoff with one engine out, so they are quite capable of continuing a flight at altitude with one engine, if necessary.
The ability to fly on one engine is something that has been ensured since the days of the Boeing 247 and DC-3. The key element to consider with over water operations is distance to a suitable landing sight. You must stay within a time radius of known suitable diversion alternates and have the available fuel to reach it with contingencies. Believe it or not, fuel burn on one engine at low altitude is actually greater over a given distance than it is with two engines cruising at altitude. As such, we carry many thousands of pounds of extra fuel on long over water flights, and at key points in the flight we are required to evaluate our available fuel and known meteorological conditions to ensure that we can safely continue the flight. A mandatory re-route or even a diversion for a fuel stop short of destination is a relatively common occurrence. The only route on Earth where a fuel stop short of destination is not an option is mainland U.S. to Hawaii - the longest open over water route we fly. There are no diversions short of simply returning back to departure, and that is what we plan for.

All of these flights are planned with joint responsibility between the Captain and crew and the federally certified Dispatcher back at headquarters. The Dispatcher delivers a planned route and briefing to the Captain and crew, and the crew takes about an hour to ensure that it is a viable plan, makes their suggested changes, and then the Captain and Dispatcher sign off on it jointly. During the flight the dispatcher monitors global meteorological and aviation issues (airport or runway closures at diversion alternates etc.) while the crew monitors the flight and aircraft systems. Some aircraft systems automatically report back to line maintenance and dispatch unbeknownst to the crew (engine temperatures and vibration levels for example) using satellite communications while some items that the crew monitor are required mandatory reports to the dispatcher (fuel onboard at route check points for example). It's a very complicated dance with many highly trained professionals doing their part to ensure that safety today is a scientific pursuit vs. the "let's hope" or "best guess" process that I would say might describe oceanic travel in the early decades of jet flight.

More than you wanted to know I'd guess, but simply having a certified twin jet is just the barest beginning of the process to ensure safe twin jet oceanic operations.

Cheers,
Oly

Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

olyinaz wrote:
JReed wrote:Nope 2 will do. The DC9 is a twin engine plane the Marine Corps has 2 and they fly across the pond all the time.
That is true, but military rules do not apply to civil operations.

Two engines will do just fine for airline flights, but many added rules come into play to include maintenance that is required above and beyond what would be needed for overland flights. Indeed, both the pilots and the mechanics who maintain the birds must be ETOPS certified as well as the airline itself.

Oly
The aircraft I referred to operate out of civilian airports all the time so they have to conform to FAA and international regulations. But they are an exception to military owned aircraft and their pilots and mechs are ETOPS certified.
Naval guide lines mandate that Navy and Marine Corps aircraft must have 2 engines to transit over open water which is why the Marine Corps versions of the UH1 and the Cobra both had to be redesigned for twin engines before the Marine Corps could buy them.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
ArcticGoose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ArcticGoose »

I'm not sure about other places, but here in Alaska we do a lot of overwater flying. Mostly over the Bering Sea which is pretty much an ocean. The only requirement for our Saab 340's (twin turbo-prop with 30 passengers) is any flight greater then 50 miles from shore we are required to carry liferafts. Flying the Grumman Goose out of Dutch Harbor kept me over water more often then not. It was never far from shore, but I never carried liferafts in the Goose.
"Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not used one or is un-wittingly commenting on their marksmanship." Phil Shoemaker
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

JReed wrote:The aircraft I referred to operate out of civilian airports all the time so they have to conform to FAA and international regulations.
Jeremy, I would think that it's more like they do follow standard FAA and ICAO rules while operating in civil air space, but they don't have to. Military rules trump civil rules in the U.S. For example, I can't exceed some pretty mundane speeds in the airspace around air fields but military aircraft can (and do) go as fast as they wish. I've seen F-16s hit over 400 knots by the end of the runway at Tucson Intl. just for fun! No operational need whatsoever. I'd loose my ticket if I did that because it violates a handful of FARs (Federal Aviation Regulations). Well, actually, I'd over speed my current airplane if I did that! :lol:
JReed wrote:But they are an exception to military owned aircraft and their pilots and mechs are ETOPS certified.
That is interesting! I'm not certain why they would feel the need to do that. Perhaps it has something to do with carriage of non-DOD folks from time to time? I dunno, but it sure doesn't seem to me that they would need to do that.
JReed wrote: Naval guide lines mandate that Navy and Marine Corps aircraft must have 2 engines to transit over open water which is why the Marine Corps versions of the UH1 and the Cobra both had to be redesigned for twin engines before the Marine Corps could buy them.
A dang sensible policy if you ask me! And speaking of Cobras, I was just reading the other day about the Marine's new Cobra and it's brother, the latest version of the Huey. They both look like really modern aircraft with some great performance. Amazing when you consider how old the original design is. I guess you could say that about the C-130 also though. The best designs LAST. :wink:

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

ArcticGoose wrote:I'm not sure about other places, but here in Alaska we do a lot of overwater flying. Mostly over the Bering Sea which is pretty much an ocean. The only requirement for our Saab 340's (twin turbo-prop with 30 passengers) is any flight greater then 50 miles from shore we are required to carry liferafts. Flying the Grumman Goose out of Dutch Harbor kept me over water more often then not. It was never far from shore, but I never carried liferafts in the Goose.
Yep, if we fly greater than 50 miles from the shoreline we have to have an "over water" equipped aircraft (slides that are rated for ditching, rafts, emergency equipment, and life jackets). That's the first over water issue. Then, if you are going to operate more than 60 minutes from a diversion alternate the ETOPS rules kick in. I would guess that those SAABS are planned to fly so that they don't trip that 60 minute rule when they're out over water (unless I'm missing something - I don't claim to be a Fed and it's been years since I was nose deep in the rule book).

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Oly they carry millitery personnel and space A passengers to include retirees and dependents along with civilian government types. I would assume that is the main reason for the certs.

Yes the new cobras and UH1's are bad birds :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis