OT - A little Bulldog pug followed me home

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

OT - A little Bulldog pug followed me home

Post by JNG »

I got a deal I could not pass up on a NIB Charter Arms Bulldog pug. It's matte black with a few sharpe edges. I have never had a 44 sp, so I am looking forward to playing with it. If all works out, it will be my bumming in the woods gun.
Do any of you folks have a Bulldog? Loads for a 44 sp?
I thank you all for any advice.
dave in maine
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dave in maine »

i've had one for years and it sits at the head of the bed i don't think they were made to be used with hot loads,the main reason being the punishing recoil in a light revolver,that said it is a nice carry piece for "bumming around".
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I was hoping to see a pic of a dog... :lol: The original configuration Bulldogs are liked by some folks including John Taffin. The Pugs, I just don't know.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Hobie wrote:I was hoping to see a pic of a dog... :lol: The original configuration Bulldogs are liked by some folks including John Taffin. The Pugs, I just don't know.
I walked into work a few years ago to see a Pug puppy trotting around. I looked at his face and laughed, then said Hey, that dog looks like Dave!! Then I laughed again and said oh oh, I better be careful - I have a Maltese, a foo foo dog..

Guess who's dog the Pug was, and who walked out from around the corner.... We enjoyed the laughs, including Dave...

And for the .44 Special, a 200 gr LSWC on top of about 7.5 gr of Unique should be fine...
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

A certain M.L. McPherson had/has an article on the .44 Spl in the Charter 44 on a forum that I printed off and have ... just gotta find it. I'm going to look.
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

It was right where I thought it should be ... scary, huh?

The article address was www.sixgunner.com/mcpherson/charterarms44.htm

Unfortunately it doesn't work. He has detailed results on 13 different bullets giving velocities, penetration, and expantion results.

I have referred to it lots of times for my Charter .44 (my second one).
Rod WMG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rod WMG »

Don't have a Pug, but an original. Great for woods packing.

Though I've shot heavier loads, due to recoil I took Skeeter to heart and now load 6.3 gr. of Unique under a 240 grain bullet, usually a Hornady swaged one with the hollow point enlarged with a deburring tool.
A man's heart devises [or schemes] his way, but the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9
canonsix
Levergunner 2.0

Post by canonsix »

My CharterArms 44's all get fed the Lee 215 gr semiwadcutter on top of 7.5grains of Unique.I first used this load in 1975,it worked, no need for me to change it. Doug
a armed man is his own master
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I have shot one of the early two inch .44 Charter Arms and it shot as good as my old Target Bulldog four inch.I hit the eight inch plates at 75 yards with it 4 of the 5 shots. I tried to buy or trade for it but no sale.My load for my 4 inch is a cast 240 grain over 6 grains of Unique,a very accurate load for my gun. I do carry it alot.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Used to carry a S&W 624 as a camp gun,
210gr over 7.5gr Unique.

44 Spcl's are special!
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

My buddy got woke up in the middle of the morning by the FBI knocking at his door. We were both working midnight patrol shift for a municipal law enforcement agency and the FBI wanted to see his Charter Arms Bulldog as part of the "Son of Sam" shooting investigation. They had absolutely no leads and were trying to account for every Bulldog (the weapon used, according to slugs recovered from the shooting victims)...
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

What in the world is a "Bulldog Pug"????????? :wink:

:D
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

.44 Special is my favorite handgun cartridge. I was exploring possibilities for it after reading a lot of good stuff, and went in a shop in Nashville to see what they had.

There was a Charter 2000 Bulldog, and of course I'd heard of Charter Arms. However this was a piece of stuff. Apparently the name gets passed around and sometimes they made good stuff, but not the new version.

In the case was also a used Rossi 720 in this caliber. It's a 3" K-frame sized 5-shot with target sights and a nice rubber grip much like a Pachmayr Gripper. I really liked the feel, and the fit and finish seemed good (WAY better than the Charter). I bought that one for the same price they were asking for the new Charter, I think it was right at $300.

Well, as much as I am fond of S&W's, this Rossi is my favorite handgun to shoot. I settled on the 200gr Gold Dot Hollow Point factory load and whatever I could find for target practice. I will load for it, but I'm sure the GDHP will remain as the carry load. My wife has since absconded with it to replace her LadySmith 60 that we finally got rid of (had the hole in the side). I bought an older 65 LadySmith to tempt her, but she really likes that Rossi too.

Apparently that name gets passed around too. The 720 by all accounts (considering those with experience with this particular model only) was made during a "good" period in the company's history, which came before Taurus bought them out, so there is no warranty service on it anymore.

You have to be careful listening to talk on the internet about these wobbly companies. One guy might claim all Taurus is stuff while another sings it's praises. What you're likely to find is that they've experienced guns from different periods in the company's history, and they'd both be right if they would limit their comments to what they actually know, rather than blanket praising or condemning all the products that bear the name, since they are not familiar enough to do so.

You can get useful info from these people if you can make them tell you WHICH model they had their experience with.

I liked the Rossi so much that I researched and found the Taurus 445. I found one NIB for a great price just by luck, and I bought it; but I didn't enjoy shooting it near as much, and I've since sold it.

If S&W had ever made a gun like the 720, I'd have one in a heartbeat. The nearest they came was the 696, but it's not K-frame sized-- it's an L frame. Otherwise the specs are similar, but that's a good bit larger and A LOT more expensive, and if I ever find one cheap I'll get it, but that's not likely to happen. They have developed a kind of a cult following.

Likewise I'll keep an eye out for old N-frames, I think the 21 and 24 are the fixed and adjustable sighted models...

And I'm also on the lookout for the ultimate .44 Special, the 629 Mountain Revolver. The predecessor of the Mountain Gun, it had real rollmarks rather than the laser etching on the barrel. And it's strong enough for .44 Mag so if you want to hot rod some you don't have to worry about the gun (not sure about your hand though). Too bad they didn't make that one before they quit the P&R, that would be something.

Right now old Winchesters might be a bit overpriced, but old S&W's are great investments too.
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JNG »

I was looking over some powders to load for paper punching. Has anybody used Trail Boss on the 44spl ?
jfwlb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jfwlb »

A word of advise on that Bulldog. Here's my story. While stationed at Ft. Bragg, NC in the 80's, I bought a Bulldog Pug. When I finally got around to shooting it, I went to the local indoor range and bought some of their range special reloads.

I started shooting it, and dang if the cylinder would bind up after the first couple of rounds and it wouldn't turn. I inspected it real closely, and found the problem.

The unfired rounds that I pulled from the gun were actually longer than when I put them in! It seems as though the stout recoil had "pulled" the bullit from the case and the front of the round was hitting the forcing cone.

I reloaded with fresh ammo, making sure that the cylinder spun freely all the way around, took aim, fired off two rounds and it did it again!

I don't know if it was just crappy range ammo or what, as it hasn't happened since, but just be sure the boolits are real tight in their cases.

BTW, I still love that Bulldog!
John
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Idahoser wrote:.44 Special is my favorite handgun cartridge.

Likewise I'll keep an eye out for old N-frames, I think the 21 and 24 are the fixed and adjustable sighted models...

And I'm also on the lookout for the ultimate .44 Special, the 629 Mountain Revolver. The predecessor of the Mountain Gun, it had real rollmarks rather than the laser etching on the barrel. And it's strong enough for .44 Mag so if you want to hot rod some you don't have to worry about the gun (not sure about your hand though). Too bad they didn't make that one before they quit the P&R, that would be something.
I agree wholeheartedly, I HAD the 629 Mountain and a Lew Horton 624.
That 624 had a small butt frame and a 3" barrel, mounted with Fuzzy
Farrant (any old LEOs from SoCal remember him or his grips) was the
BEST camp gun I ever had!
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”