Leupold M-8

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dbowling
Levergunner

Leupold M-8

Post by dbowling »

If anyone is looking for a older 3X M-8 w/dot reticle I just listed one in the classifieds today...mods if this isnt allowed feel free to delete, just wanted to let people know as there seems to be alot more traffic here.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Leupold M-8

Post by Mescalero »

No HARM, NO FOUL,
Good deal
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Just to comment on whether this is allowed or not, it IS allowed.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Hobie wrote:Just to comment on whether this is allowed or not, it IS allowed.
But, not aloud.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
dbowling
Levergunner

Post by dbowling »

Guys thanks and let me know if Im too high on the scope, thought Id seen a couple sell in this price range but wont swear to it...I got the scope on a muzzleloader I bought but since I cant see the reticle and dont feel like messing with changing it thats why its for sale, it tracks and hold zero great...
CalvinMD
Levergunner 1.0

Post by CalvinMD »

Id love that scope on my 444 but its out of reach for me...on a fixed income with every Dr in Baltimore reaching into my wallet to empty it monthly
dbowling
Levergunner

Post by dbowling »

Calvin, you can always make a offer all I can say is no..:)

CalvinMD wrote:Id love that scope on my 444 but its out of reach for me...on a fixed income with every Dr in Baltimore reaching into my wallet to empty it monthly
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Can you see the cross hairs at all?
dbowling
Levergunner

Post by dbowling »

the crosshairs are as thin as a spiderweb, its designed for the dot to appear as if floating in the center of scope...actually better then crosshairs if you can see it in low light...
Mescalero wrote:Can you see the cross hairs at all?
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Is the ocular adjustable?
dbowling
Levergunner

Post by dbowling »

No it isnt but with a 3x scope it doesnt need to be..
Mescalero wrote:Is the ocular adjustable?
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I find that odd,
most oculars were adjustable,
the ocuular is the end closet to the eye,
turn the lock ring ( in front of the eye piece to the right ) turn the ocular to the left.
This was to compensate for changing eyesight & eyesight variations of the majority of the populace.
It is possible to compensate for your changed eyesight, with minimal target clarity degradation.
It is too nice of a scope to give up on without a fight.
dbowling
Levergunner

Post by dbowling »

the scope is clear as a bell, thats not what keeps me from seeing the dot its the fact that the dot is a matt brown or light black color and when it starts getting toward dusk my eyes dont pick up the dot against a deers side...in the middle of the day or bright sunlight of early morning I can see it fine...if it doesnt sell or I dont trade it I will send it back to Leupold and have the crosshairs switched out..if you ever noticed most scopes dont need the ocular adj. much until you get above 4x... you are right though a very nice scope.

[Mescalero"]I find that odd,
most oculars were adjustable,
the ocuular is the end closet to the eye,
turn the lock ring ( in front of the eye piece to the right ) turn the ocular to the left.
This was to compensate for changing eyesight & eyesight variations of the majority of the populace.
It is possible to compensate for your changed eyesight, with minimal target clarity degradation.
It is too nice of a scope to give up on without a fight.[/quote]
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Actually I worked for a major scope manufacturer here in the U.S. for five years, in the quality department.
Much more can be done with the scopes built in adjustments than is commonly realised.
It seems you have made up your mind about this scope.
I wish you well.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

dbowling wrote:..if you ever noticed most scopes dont need the ocular adj. much until you get above 4x...
That ain't so Joe !

I gotta a pile of older Weaver K2.5's , K3's and K4's with eye focus . Also a Leupold Vari XII 1-4 and a Vari XIII 1.5-5 and they all have adjustable "oculars" as Mezcal says . And nine times outta 10 they all need to be adjusted for a person's eye after someone else messed with them . I made ur pics larger and it looks to me as if your scope does have the adjustment , looks like threads there in front of the jam nut on the tube .

I also just looked in a 1971 vintage Shooters Bible and they show the M8 3x in there with adjustment on the eyepiece for focus as well as seeing the threads plain as day . The only one they don't have a focus adjustment on is the long eye relief 2x . FWIW that scope with a dot reticle had a suggested retail in 1971 of $69.50 .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

In 1971, that much money for a scope was a considerable expenditure.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Mescalero wrote:In 1971, that much money for a scope was a considerable expenditure.
First Leupold I bought was in 1976 I believe . I worked all summer to get enough money for a LEupold Vari XIII 1.5-4x and I put it on a Ruger 44R carbine . Think I paid $150 with Redfield bases and rings .

The scope alone cost a couple dollars more then the brand new Ruger 44R .
dbowling
Levergunner

Post by dbowling »

You are absolutely correct, Im a idiot, Ive gotten used to my newer Bushnells with the adj. at the very back of the bell... I just took a quick look at the back of the bell and assumed it didnt have it... have it front of me now and its plain as day it does, I apologize for not paying closer attention to it...Whats even worse is Ive had a bunch of the old Weavers w/the ocular adjustment also.
6pt-sika wrote:
dbowling wrote:..if you ever noticed most scopes dont need the ocular adj. much until you get above 4x...
That ain't so Joe !

I gotta a pile of older Weaver K2.5's , K3's and K4's with eye focus . Also a Leupold Vari XII 1-4 and a Vari XIII 1.5-5 and they all have adjustable "oculars" as Mezcal says . And nine times outta 10 they all need to be adjusted for a person's eye after someone else messed with them . I made ur pics larger and it looks to me as if your scope does have the adjustment , looks like threads there in front of the jam nut on the tube .

I also just looked in a 1971 vintage Shooters Bible and they show the M8 3x in there with adjustment on the eyepiece for focus as well as seeing the threads plain as day . The only one they don't have a focus adjustment on is the long eye relief 2x . FWIW that scope with a dot reticle had a suggested retail in 1971 of $69.50 .
dbowling
Levergunner

Post by dbowling »

If you look in the my above post I admit to being a idiot, I adjusted the ocular and it did make the dot alot sharper, will have to see if I can see it in lower light now...believe Im going to take it off the market and keep it for now until I find out if I can use it, as you said its a nice scope and if I can see the dot now Ill keep it for sure.
Mescalero wrote:Actually I worked for a major scope manufacturer here in the U.S. for five years, in the quality department.
Much more can be done with the scopes built in adjustments than is commonly realised.
I wish you well.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

dbowling wrote:If you look in the my above post I admit to being a idiot, I adjusted the ocular and it did make the dot alot sharper, will have to see if I can see it in lower light now...believe Im going to take it off the market and keep it for now until I find out if I can use it, as you said its a nice scope and if I can see the dot now Ill keep it for sure.
Mescalero wrote:Actually I worked for a major scope manufacturer here in the U.S. for five years, in the quality department.
I wish you well.
Sir , I hope you didn't take offense at my comment because it certainly wasn't meant that way .
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

dbowling,
However we came to this point, I am glad that you see your scope in a new light.
Please work with your scope, I believe it will continue to give you many more years of enjoyment.
dbowling
Levergunner

Post by dbowling »

6pt-sika, absolutely none taken...thanks for all the help,actually you guys saved me from getting rid of a nice scope, next time Ill pay more attention to the detaqils of the scope before I decide to get rid of it...take care..
6pt-sika wrote:
dbowling wrote:If you look in the my above post I admit to being a idiot, I adjusted the ocular and it did make the dot alot sharper, will have to see if I can see it in lower light now...believe Im going to take it off the market and keep it for now until I find out if I can use it, as you said its a nice scope and if I can see the dot now Ill keep it for sure.
I wish you well.
Sir , I hope you didn't take offense at my comment because it certainly wasn't meant that way .
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Glad you found new life in your old friend.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Is this an extended eye relief scope?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

rjohns94 wrote:Is this an extended eye relief scope?

No just a regular rifle scope .

And also FWIW the extended eye relief (pistol scopes) that Leupold has been making for the last 20 years have eye focus adjustment as well . But the one in that 1971 Shooters Bible sure didn't !
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Thnx
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot