Drilling a winchester?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
clampdaddy
Levergunner

Drilling a winchester?

Post by clampdaddy »

I have a '94 big bore in .375 win. and I'd like to install either a rear guide sight or a scout rail on it but it doesn't have any holes that I could use to mount one. Would having it drilled and tapped destroy the resale value of my rifle?
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Drilling a winchester?

Post by hfcable »

yours must be a top eject .375 ?? the later angle ejects are drilled and tapped

there are scout rails that don't require drilling or tapping like the XS scout mount and i think Bsquare made one as well.

would not drill and tap unless i had too, but what the heck it is your gun and it was made for using!
cable
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I concur, unless your going to keep it as a collector gun and not hunt with it I would not D&T, but if you intend hunting with it and your post tends to make me think you are, then I would D&T it with no reservation...that's just my opinion... :)
ving-thorr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ving-thorr »

if you plan to keep it and hunt with it . . . drill baby drill!
The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?
Psalms 27:1
clampdaddy
Levergunner

Post by clampdaddy »

Thanks guys. For a while I was really into 1903 Springfields and it drove me crazy when I'd run across what would have been a nice rifle if someone hadn't drilled the action full of holes. Even though I'll probably never sell my pre '64 30-30 I'd never drill it.....because that would just be a sin. On the other hand I look at my Big Bore as just another gun with no real collectors value (right now) but in the back of my head I keep thinking "don't ruin it dummy, they didn't make a whole lot of these".
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Go ahead and do what you need to do. The only guy its going to pee off is the guy who buys it in 2124. :D Your loss will be minimal.--------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

clampdaddy wrote:I have a '94 big bore in .375 win. and I'd like to install either a rear guide sight or a scout rail on it but it doesn't have any holes that I could use to mount one. Would having it drilled and tapped destroy the resale value of my rifle?
How about I tell you a way to do it, AND preserve the resale value ?

While I'm tellin', keep in mind that a replacement bolt for your .375 BB94 is a snap to find & install (I've owned several .375 BB's).

First - the XS LeverScout mount rail NEEDS two 6-48 holes D/T'd inline with the bore atop the front receiver ring, and TE .375 BB94's were never D/T'd there by the factory. fahgettaboutit.

Second - Don't D/T the action - D/T the bolt top, waaay towards the rear, between the rear end of the extractor and the bolt end near the locking lug surface.

Third - D/T the bolt top on it's C/L, inline with the FP/bore - with the hole spacing for a Williams WGRS-BAR receiver peep sight for a Browning BAR Sporting auto-loading rifle (which receiver top has about the same radius as the top of the Winchester bolt top). :shock: Buy/mount the Williams Guide Receiver Sight. (Voila ! A bolt peep ! )

Fourth - You WILL need a new front sight blade, higher than issue, in order to achieve zero - AND a filler blank for the empty rear bbl sight barrel dovetail. ( You ARE going to remove the rear iron sight, right ? )

If you're nervous - Buy a replacement bolt (Numrich, Winchester Bob, etc) NOW.
If not, just keep two headless filler screws handy.

If/when you ever decide to sell, either swap in a new bolt OR remove the WGRS & fill the two little holes with scope mount receiver headless filler screws (like most CF rifles are issued with).

BTW - This WORKS - I've done both a WGRS and a Beemaqn S-1 2x scope this way on .375 BB94 TE's.

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

It should be drilled and tapped for a standard side mount receiver sight from the factory, which would be my choice in any event, I've never warmed up to the top mount types.

I'm all about making a gun do what you want it to. I have no hesitation drilling or modifying any of my guns including Brownings and pre-64's, but, the big bores are already a bit more pricey than standard guns, if that's a concern. You could also find a spare barrel, then you can drill it for a forward scope mount and have the spare to return it to orignal condition if you wanted to. If it were me, I'd simply drill it and never look back.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Short answer, it will destroy resale value. Still yours, do what you want. How about clamping one of those super long eye relief pistol scopes far ahead on the barrel? I am starting to find out that I can shoot well enough with a peep. Probley your gun has factory holes for a peep?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, due to their stepped/bulged receiver sidewall, even though they're factory-prepped (D/T'd) for a side-mount receiver peep sight, non-AE BB94's require a peep sight with a special, stepped base - for which Williams supplies the FP-94-375 and the 5D-94-375 receiver peeps.

EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I have the same rifle my Dad left me. It has a williams foolproof with an Ashley post and shoots good on the range.But if I believed in unlucky rifles this one would be it. I've never killed a deer with it and carried it plenty. I to have thought if I drilled it and put a scout mount it would be a better rifle for me and 50+ eyes.
But I have a 44 mag and 45/70 scoped so will most likely leave it as is.
Ed
clampdaddy
Levergunner

Post by clampdaddy »

Pete44ru wrote:
How about I tell you a way to do it, AND preserve the resale value ?

While I'm tellin', keep in mind that a replacement bolt for your .375 BB94 is a snap to find & install (I've owned several .375 BB's).

First - the XS LeverScout mount rail NEEDS two 6-48 holes D/T'd inline with the bore atop the front receiver ring, and TE .375 BB94's were never D/T'd there by the factory. fahgettaboutit.

Second - Don't D/T the action - D/T the bolt top, waaay towards the rear, between the rear end of the extractor and the bolt end near the locking lug surface.

Third - D/T the bolt top on it's C/L, inline with the FP/bore - with the hole spacing for a Williams WGRS-BAR receiver peep sight for a Browning BAR Sporting auto-loading rifle (which receiver top has about the same radius as the top of the Winchester bolt top). :shock: Buy/mount the Williams Guide Receiver Sight. (Voila ! A bolt peep ! )

Fourth - You WILL need a new front sight blade, higher than issue, in order to achieve zero - AND a filler blank for the empty rear bbl sight barrel dovetail. ( You ARE going to remove the rear iron sight, right ? )

If you're nervous - Buy a replacement bolt (Numrich, Winchester Bob, etc) NOW.
If not, just keep two headless filler screws handy.

If/when you ever decide to sell, either swap in a new bolt OR remove the WGRS & fill the two little holes with scope mount receiver headless filler screws (like most CF rifles are issued with).

BTW - This WORKS - I've done both a WGRS and a Beemaqn S-1 2x scope this way on .375 BB94 TE's.

Now that is a darned good idea right there!!!
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Sixgun wrote:Go ahead and do what you need to do. The only guy its going to pee off is the guy who buys it in 2124. :D Your loss will be minimal.--------Sixgun

That is exactly the way that I feel about all of my guns! If I think that I need to modify one to make it more usable for me, why not?

I enjoy them and am not going to save them for the next guy(s), even tho the next guys will most probably be my son and my nephew.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Booger Bill wrote:Short answer, it will destroy resale value. Still yours, do what you want.
I agree. I've put extra holes in some of my hunting guns, but on the other hand I've just about been brought to tear after picking up an old "almost" collectible rifle and seeing extra holes in the receiver.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

I have the FP sight on mine and it works very well. Much better than drilling, unless peeps don't do it for ya, then....it's your rifle. I get the idea of drilling the bolt, but the thought of a rear sight that moves seperate of the receiver or barrel, does not seem too repeatable to me.

I once had a tang sight mounted on the wrist of the stock, on a H&R Buffalo Classic. It was very accurate, but not repeatable. I would get three shots in an inch, two groups in a row, then the next group would move a half inch. Even though you would shoot with the bolt closed and locked, it's never as precise as a solid receiver mount.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Another 'no drill' option, if it came D&T'd for a receiver sight, is this scope side mount:

http://www.ironsighter.com/p-219-winche ... -bore.aspx

Here's something very similar, if not the same, under another name:

http://www.gunauction.com/search/displa ... um=7270509

These are attached via the two pre-drilled receiver sight holes and the one further forward (finger lever pin stop screw?).
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Didn't some of the later winchesters come with a grooved receiver top. The sights and rails were clamped on like a 22 grooved receiver. Before you D&T make sure yours isn't one as off the shelf sights are available.

http://www.xssights.com/index.php?nID=s ... &sID=rifle

There is a picture here.