Poll: Do you own a "Trapper" length lever gun?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
tattoo13
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Poll: Do you own a "Trapper" length lever gun?

Post by tattoo13 »

I have a custom 336, used it for deer, coyotes and armadillos hammers deer just like my other 336. I likes 170gr CoreLokts.
Easy in and out of the truck, easy to swing and shoot out the window (armadillos and coyotes).
I love it enough I keep thinking of paying for my Guide Gun to get cut down.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Yeah I know that this is an old thread, but what the heck... :)

1). I presently have two trappers -- Rossi 92 .357 Magnum in stainless steel with 16" bbl.
2). I also had an early Winchester 94AE trapper in 30/30 with a 16" bbl., shot 2 deer
and a number of woodchucks. I sold this levergun, because it had ignition issues (FTF),
sent it back to Winchester twice--no go.
massmanute
Levergunner

Post by massmanute »

I have a Rossi model 92, stainless steel, 16 inch barrel, .357 magnum. I also bought the same model for each of two of my children.

I have not hunted with it.

I also have a Henry .22 caliber youth model, which happens to have virtually the same dimensions as the Rossi. Also bought one of these for each of two of my children.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Since it's an old thread, my rifles have changed :shock: No big surprise there. I currently have two. A factory legendary lawman in 30-30 and a custom marlin out of wild west guns in 44 mag. Neither used for hunting. The first is for sale in the classifieds. The other rides with me in the truck. Got it too late to hunt with this year. It has a scout scope rail in it and I have yet to decide if I like it or not.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I had 4 "Trapper's" : a Scout-scoped Marlin 1894P; a .30-30 Winchester 94; & two (2) Rossi Model 92 16" BigLoop Carbines, one -.45, one (not pictured) -.357, customized.

They all have been used successfully on Maine whitetails.

Since this thread was born, I've sold the Marlin ($750) and the .45 Rossi M92 BigLoop 16" ($450), and am currently restoring the customized Rossi 16" M92 .357 to it's original magazine config prior to selling it too.

One Trapper's all I need, and since the .30-30 Model 94 will do everything the others did, and more - it's staying.

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I have the Winchester Ranger in .357. It's angle eject, rebounding hammer, and tang switch enabled.

Have not hunted with it.

It likes everything from 125gr whitebox to 185g handloads. It shot to point of aim out of the box to 100 yards, and doesn't so far seem to care when I mix lead with jacketed ammo.

I put a green fiber front sight on that helps me keep it lined up. It knocks the 100m rams for a loop. A great rifle, but if I had to abandon the hacienda and take to the seas, the looters would find it sitting here in a hardware version of "left behind."
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

16" rossi stainless 357
16" rossi stainless 454
16" rossi blue 45 colt big lever
16" marlin 45 colt
custom takedown 16" trapper 44 magnum, original model 1892

16" takedown marlin 39TDS , but my son has permanent possession of that one!
cable
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

I have one of the CDNN trappers in 22lr. Fantastic... Have shot dozens of frogs and other various critters.

The 357 was 'last year' of production, and shot all over the paper plate. I sent it back to Winchester and they said they didn't have the spare parts to fix it... Gave me my money back. Oh how I wish I had it back... :cry:
Normac
Levergunner

Post by Normac »

:D Yepp , a Win/Miroku 92 Trapper Takedown in 357mag. Cost me an arm and a leg but worth it
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Not a fan of the 16" carbines because I don't like the balance of them. A 20" Rossi carbine is plenty light enough and has much better balance for my uses.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Yes, I have owned a few 16" Trappers, and still have a Winchester Legendary Lawman model 94 30/30, and a Winchester 94 angle eject .357. Then I also have a Browning 92 44mag, which I think is better balanced then the Winchester Trappers, and I also have a Browning BL22 which I guess sort of qualifies as a Trapper, which I like very much.

The trappers are very handy in ultra close quarters, but I believe I do prefer the 20 inch barreled 94's for general use.
NRA Life Member, Patron
RJS
Levergunner 1.0

Post by RJS »

Just one, it's a Rossi .44 Mag 16".
Have not taken any game with it yet ,but it sure is fun to shoot!
:D
Ron
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

A 2003 vintage 94AE Ranger Compact in 357 magnum. Replaced the rebounding hammer with a '72 vintage leaf spring hammer, and what an improvement. Removed the tang safety and plugged the hole using deer antler. Also added a AO/XS Ghost Ring sight to increase sight radius, and I prefer peeps. Love this little gun. Never got a chance to try her on our wild goats as I was planning.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Nice work Ji
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Early 80's 94ae in 30-30 has not gone hunting yet but will be this year.Think it would have been a big help on the Stevie Wonder shot I goofed on last year.
gvthnks
Levergunner

Post by gvthnks »

Winchester wrangler in 44Mag, and a Glenfield 30 in 30-30 that I cut down to 16.25 due to it being beat up to begin with.

Love the short barreled levers. Just need another couple in .357 and 45lc.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Win 94 AE 16"
Original caliber 357 Mag - converted to 360DW
Whitetail and hogs taken with 158gr 357 Mag Speer FP gets 1734 fps average, 180 gr WFNGC gets 1822 fps average and both killed deer and hogs out to 100 yds with broadside penetration and exits.
Deer, hogs, elk, exotics up to 375 pound animals taken with 360 DW using 180gr Hornady XTP @ 1920 fps and it has performed excellent on all game with only 3 bullets recovered (and all expanded with good weight retention) out of 29 hits on animals.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Rifleman336
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman336 »

Trapper update,

Well two weeks ago I purchase a new "Spike Horn" in .30-30, from a local Dick's Sporting goods location. It's a New Haven, made weapon.

It has some very minor wood fit issues but, is a hundred percent otherwise. Kinda dismayed to see only one screw holding on the front sight, I'll remedy that later. :wink:

I wish I had the money to get another, so it could be my truck gun.

Can't wait to shoot it now that the weather is getting better.
Never bite off more than you can chew.
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Some things just get better with age. :mrgreen:
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
dogngun
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dogngun »

Used to have an old PUMA (Rossi) in .357 magnum. Nice and very handy and great to shoot, never had any problems, even when I mixed .38 Sp;s and magnum loads in a single magazine load...Accurate and just a neat little rifle, BUT it had one of those " John Wayne" levers and I found I really did not like it...and some previous owner had drilled it for a scope mount, which really annoyed me after a while. I sold it and now have a new Rossi 92 with a 20" round barrel.
Never hunted with either one.
mark
The GOP/teabag party - Anti American AND stupid.
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

I have a Rossi Model 92 Trapper in .45 LC. Very handy little rifle.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Rifleman336 wrote:Trapper update,
Well two weeks ago I purchase a new "Spike Horn" in .30-30, from a local Dick's Sporting goods location. It's a New Haven, made weapon.
It has some very minor wood fit issues but, is a hundred percent otherwise. Kinda dismayed to see only one screw holding on the front sight, I'll remedy that later. :wink:
I wish I had the money to get another, so it could be my truck gun.
Can't wait to shoot it now that the weather is getting better.
The 2nd screw might be hinding under that bead.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!