muzzle muffler (with pictures and details)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JeffG
Levergunner 1.0

muzzle muffler (with pictures and details)

Post by JeffG »

Well, I wanted to finally share some details about my back yard shooting station. I live in a small town (...but big enough that the neighbors would call the local constable if they heard shooting). I wanted to practice with the .22 in my backyard which looks over a creek and corn field. I started shooting CB caps, but even those started gathering attention. This contraption will quiet most of your muzzle noise (but NOT the crack of high velocity loads breaking the sound barrier halfway toward the target). I've been using CCI match shorts lately, and it is quieter than a Daisy Red Ryder.

I built this giant silencer after seeing one here on the levergun forum, being used with a .45 muzzle loader and light loads. The cat will often snooze by the porch post while I'm shooting the .22

I thought I'd offer up my process and some dimensions. First you need a 12" sono-tube (carboard concrete form), and some scap plywood, 4 pieces of 3/4" x 1" (or there-abouts) x 48"pine, and some fiberglass insulation. Draw out 5 circles that are about 1/2" smaller than the inside diameter of the tube (this one is too small, but it didn't create any problems ultimately).
I made up my own compass by drilling a 1/4" hole for the pencil and using a #8 finish nail for the center point. I moved the nail location for changing the diameters.
The out side of all the circles are the same, the inside diameter changes in 1/2" diameter increments (note the 1/4" radius increments on my compass stick). 3.5", 4", 4.5", 5", 5.5"
as you are laying out the circles draw a cross hatch through the center. This will help with assembly.
Next layout the size of your 4 foot sticks at the end of each cross hatch line.
Image.
Then you have to cut out the cicles and the notches. I used a band saw, which is why you see a cut from the edge of the circle to the center. This extra cut did not cause any trouble.
you could also use a jig saw which lets you start the center hole from a 1/2" drilled hole.
remember to clamp you work firmly, there's no sense in cutting your trigger finger to save a few minutes.
When you have all the circle cut and notched, number them from smallest to largest so you're less likely to mix up the order.
Next layout the plywood thickness on each end of your four sticks, and then every 12" in between. You're shooting for 4 equal spaces.
Now you are ready to assemble. I used glue and 2" roofing nails. The effort is to not split the wood or mash your thumb.
Once you have the frame assembled then you start with the insulation. Use the thinnest (lowest R-value) and the paper-backed size meant for 24" stud bays. this width allows for cutting it in half for your 12" spaces. Cut pieces that are 12" x 37". Use a straight edge to compress the fiberglass and cut it with a razor knife.
once you have your 12" x 37" pieces, then layout lines every 9.25" and slice the paper. You should have three slices along the 37" length. Try not to slice through the fiberglass.
Then you stuff the fiberglass in between the plywood. Line up your 9.25" slices with the 48" sticks. and staple it onto your frame.
Then do it again
Don't hurry, you'll just make a mess.
The insulation will close up the center circle, so pack it out as you go. I used a sock as a gauntlet glove to keep from getting insulation on my arms.
Finally I used duct tape to neaten up my seams.
Your 1/2" smaller diameter plywood will now allow this over-stuffed sausage to slide easily into the cardboard tube. Once it's in anchor it with a couple more nails through the cardboard into your frame.

Your sight line through the middle of the tube should be mostly clear. some final packing of the insulation will accomplish this.
I finally made this stand from an old saw horse and my left over plywood, but I had it precariously stacked on my wood pile for a couple of weeks. You shoot into the big end. the small end goes toward the target.
Be careful to keep your sightline toward the top of the tube, you lose all the quieting effect when your bullet hits the plywood....
There are only two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle

-Albert Einstein
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Outstanding!

:D
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Very nice & well thought out.. Looks like you're having a great time too..Thanks for taking the time to make this a great post..
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Jeff, Looks mighty nice! I see you pay attention to detail. I'm the guy who built the other one. Have you noticed that if you shoot high speed ammo, you hear that "crack" of the bullet breaking the sound barrier?

I shoot all kinds of stuff through mine, even 45-70's that are quiet as a church mouse using 11 grains of Unique and a 400 grain bullet. And no, you can't shoot BP through it. I shot one shot through mine and the concussion, smoke, and flash about blew be back ten feet.

I did make the holes in mine a little larger so I can rest a revolver inside and a little room for a sandbag when I'm testing guns.

I found out I had to use 1/4" rat wire inside to keep the insulation from falling through. You might not have this problem with .22's.

Thanks for all of the detailed pics and I hope some here take your plans and build one. ---------Sixgun

Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Thank you for such a great detailed report.That would work for alot of people here I'm sure.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Outstanding! Does the muzzle blast blow away any of the insulation? I wonder if some chicken wire coiled on the inside would help with longevity. I suppose that's not a problem with .22s anyway.
bunklocoempire
Senior Levergunner

Post by bunklocoempire »

Nice Jeff!

Sixgun, Jeff utilizes fiberglass insulation, does your utilize small fluffy dogs? :wink:

Nice work you two, ahh necessity.

Bunkloco
“We, as a group, now have a greater moral responsibility to act than those who live in ignorance, once you become knowledgeable you have an obligation to do something about it.” Ron Paul
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Great post!!!!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Nice work. Can't wait to see the threaded version. :) Looks awfully comfortable inside for small pets as well.
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

What makes it not an illegal silencer? Not being attached to the gun?
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Idahoser wrote:What makes it not an illegal silencer? Not being attached to the gun?
Yes since it isnt attached it isnt an evil tool of assasination.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

JReed wrote:
Idahoser wrote:What makes it not an illegal silencer? Not being attached to the gun?
Yes since it isnt attached it isnt an evil tool of assasination.
:lol: :lol: 8)
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
JeffG
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JeffG »

Sixgun offered a good heads-up for anyone interested in using one of these mufflers

Jeff,
Those mufflers ought to be patented! I cannot believe more people don't use them. I have a blast with mine. I belong to a regular 500 meter gunclub, (as I am sure you do) but the muffler comes in handy for testing out newly acquired guns, making sure the sight settings are on before a match, or just plain wasting an afternoon.
One thing I wanted to say on the board, but I did not was that when using your muffler, you tend to get "tunnel vision" and don't realize when something walks in front of you. We have horses, and if I don't pay attention, they will walk in the line of fire. Also, when I adjust it for close 25 yard shooting, my little dogs have walked in the line of fire. My wife made it clear if one of her animals gets shot, the barrel of one of my Winchesters is headed for the Hershey Highway. (ouch!) Not to mention if the wrong people found out about it, then I would be plastered all over the newspapers.
Regular target .22 ammo can't even be heard. Lots of fun and thanks for helping to spread the word of our fine hobby.-----------Jack aka Sixgun
There are only two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle

-Albert Einstein