Anyone use post sights with white lines or brass inserts?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Anyone use post sights with white lines or brass inserts?

Post by Canuck Bob »

I am upgrading the front sight on my Win 94. Actually all my rifles because my bead sights just seem to fade away these days. I started a thread about sources. What popped up is the differences in sights from Skinner or XS. They look like the right supply source.

What do you guys think of the white line of the XS, a fine line in the center of the sight, or the brass tip inserts, makes a kinda square brass bead, of the Skinner over the old faithful flat black post? The last post sight I used was on an FN when I was young enough to do a battle rifle justice.

Do current combat rifles still use the black post for iron sights or have they added any of these ideas?
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: Anyone use post sights with white lines or brass inserts?

Post by Malamute »

I use the Sourdough type, they are a square blade with inclined brass face. They work quite well in a variety of light conditions, and I've even been able to see them in moonlight when the light angle was good. They've been around for ages. I have several old ones by Redfield and a few newer ones from Burris. Marbles is making them now, or has fairly recently. I have one (Marbles) on a Mauser sporter. I took the scope off it a week ago in low light conditions in the evening, and was surpirsed at how bright the blade showed up in twilight conditions.

I've seen the Skinner and XS types, they didn't appeal to me.

Edit: I saw the other thread, and the Skinner Sourdough. The original Sourdoughs didnt have the brass face serated. I think having it flat and unserated is best, but have not seen one of the Skinner Sourdoughs in person. The flat face is part of what helps make a reflective surface to show light in low light situations.
Last edited by Malamute on Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I have the XS white-line blades on a couple of rifles, paired with XS Ghost-rings at the rear. My Model 94 .30-30 "Trapper" and my .357 1894C.

For the iron-sighted shooting I do, they are great on those rifles, and easy to see in most any light.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

I've an XS sight with the white lined front post on my 30-30.
Great out to 100yrds and perfect for the quick 20-35 yd shots I take for deer and small game.
I will be adding another set to my NEF 500 S&W.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

I have the Ashley Outdoors sights on my 1952 Marlin 336. I bought them before he sold his company to whoever it was that bought it. I assume they are the same or very close to what is available now. I have the front blade with the white line and the rear ghost ring. I absolutely love this set up. I have always preferred a sharp, flat post on rifles and handguns. For me, these sights are as close to a scope as you can get without actually mounting one. They are very precise and always easy to see. I would highly recommend them. That is my opinion.

Kevin
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

I have the XS sights on my Marlin Cowboy in .357. I like them just fine and have done well with them. I've seen pics of the Skinner sight and it interests me, hope someone with experience with them chimes in.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yes, When reaching a certain age, all of the sights get a bit fuzzy. As a diehard iron sight guy, I have used 'em all and have come to the conclusion the best sight is a bead that is painted flat black. Even a post sight gets fuzzy but with a bead, you can more easily distinguish "where you are looking". Using the bead as a guide, you can guess better but with a flat post, you will almost invariably shoot high or low.

I prefer the bead to have an edge towards the front. If its still shiney, that adds to the "fuzz".

At least thats what works for me. I tried the upper lense bifocal but its too much of a distraction, especially if the target is small.-----------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Interesting sixgun, I much prefered the bead when my eyes were younger. I always sharpened my beads and removed any curvature from the face to eliminate one side getting better light a throwing off my aim. I would match blacken in bright light and wipe shiny late day always prefering the brass to the white. I hunted in lots of snow country. I like the Sourdough because I could do the same blackening trick.

So far the XS/Ashley version is getting good reviews.

I'm too lazy to look up the link now but I considered a bead sight used by Cowboy Action shooters. They are noticeably larger than the standard bead. One of our members deals in them. I might revisit that idea as well.
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

I like the Redfield sourdoughs for my sight needs. I couldn't tell where the bead was on the target at the moment the gun fired, unless I sighted the bead to be full on the target. Learning a six-o'clock hold wouldn't allow me to use the bead. Also, I would lose the bead in winter glare (just me). I was real young then, yet it still holds true for me anyway.

On my revolvers, I use a modified King post with 3 brass bars inleted into the sight. Learned to use that from old Elmer.

These work for me.

LB
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

On my Rossi 92 .357 src I used white out on the factory front sight and it works great for my 74 year old eyes.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Have the Sourdough on my 86 in 45-90 paired with a marbles tang sight. When hunting I remove the aperture and sight through the threads. I have use the sourdough on several Marlin 45-70s and really like it because of the low light capability.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
zoner
Levergunner 1.0

Post by zoner »

i'm a big fan of the XS post front sight with the white stripe.......Mike
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Marbles site does not show the Sourdough anymore!
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

"Marbles site does not show the Sourdough anymore!"

Yes, they discontinued them a year or two ago. what a shame!!

John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Since my retina muscles started to age the XS sight has been a saviour to me.
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

Mounted my first XS striped blade about 12 years ago and have added several since. I use one on my main game rifle (Browning 1895, .30-06 with a Marble tang) and can bench groups under 2.5 inches at 200yds. Not that bad for 63 and trifocals. It allows me to hunt almost as late as the boys with scopes.
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

I really like the post front sights from Skinner, even the brass one works very well, and looks black when sighting in bright daylight through the rear aperature:
Details here: http://www.gunblast.com/SkinnerSights.htm

Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Malamute wrote:I use the Sourdough type, they are a square blade with inclined brass face. They work quite well in a variety of light conditions, and I've even been able to see them in moonlight when the light angle was good. They've been around for ages. I have several old ones by Redfield and a few newer ones from Burris. Marbles is making them now, or has fairly recently. I have one (Marbles) on a Mauser sporter. I took the scope off it a week ago in low light conditions in the evening, and was surpirsed at how bright the blade showed up in twilight conditions.

I've seen the Skinner and XS types, they didn't appeal to me.

Edit: I saw the other thread, and the Skinner Sourdough. The original Sourdoughs didnt have the brass face serated. I think having it flat and unserated is best, but have not seen one of the Skinner Sourdoughs in person. The flat face is part of what helps make a reflective surface to show light in low light situations.
Pretty much my take on the subject... Post or sourdough, white lines are of no help to me, neither are the fiber optic things...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson