Boolits.......What's the story?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Boolits.......What's the story?

Post by hightime »

I'll never feel at home here 'til I know. Or shouldn't we talk aloud about it?

Owen
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Boolits.......What's the story?

Post by Tycer »

Easy, it's spelled bullets.

I've been a member there since 06 and have 17 posts so I can't have an opinion. Someone might. I've gotten some good molds and gas checks there, but the Cast Bullet Association is a daily read for me.

This might be worth popping some corn and grabbing a comfy chair.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

I know how to spell and most here do too, but there it is time and time again....boolits. I think they're poking at someone.

Owen
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Maybe Morty?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I've been scared spitless by ricocheting bullets a couple times, but I never did call them B :o :shock:LETS.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

It started with some guys just horsing around with words. Boolits for bullets, and rools for rules were two of the favorites. Somewhere along the way, they came up with the notion that boolits could pass through the filters of some anti-gun software filters and that was reason enough for the formal adoption of the word.

I have been active on that board since it was founded and long before on the old Shooters.com. I have never called a bullet a boolit because it, well just seems silly to me. I have never done "cute" well. Many years ago, a girlfriend called me a "stuffed shirt" (there is a dated expression) and she was correct. I am a stiff and formal sort.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

To me, it's the same silliness that brings us "Winnies" "Remmies", "Annies" ,"shotties" and other such nonsense. But then, better "boolits" than "pills" .

To each his own, I guess.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

It's apparently good advertising. The subject comes up frequently on other forums.

Mostly a nice & knowledgeable group.

It really doesn't matter if you cast bullets or boolits, there's a lot of good info and experienced and helpful folks over there.

My only complaint is the sheer volume of new posts every day. It takes a lot of time just to read through the subject lines.

Jack
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

It's a typing exercise... moving that right ring finger from the "l" to the "o" quickly aids dexterity.
That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

As 45Nut, Cast Boolits Founder/Site Owner/B.O.B. says in his sig (and he should know):

Boolits= as God laid it into the soil, grand old Galena, the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

Charles wrote: I have never called a bullet a boolit because it, well just seems silly to me. I have never done "cute" well. Many years ago, a girlfriend called me a "stuffed shirt" (there is a dated expression) and she was correct. I am a stiff and formal sort.
I believe we know the same girl - Corpus?

While i dont like the term "Boolits" the guys on the forum are nice and some of them are serious mold collectors and fun to speak with. I am signed up for the Hensley & Gibbs No Glance mold and i am looking forward to trying it out. If not for the group buy I could never own this collectable mold.
Slim
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

Remember when monkey john said "heeeze wastin all heeze boolits"? Lonesome Dove.

TomF
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

We just use the term to differentiate between cast and jacketed. We spell bullet, we mean jacketed, we spell it boolit, it is a cast bullet. Its a shortcut, that way we don't have to type out cast bullet or jacketed bullet, its boolit vs bullet. Kind of has grown to a term of endearment nowadays.

Spelling it boolit somehow really torques some people. I have seen it get pretty nasty elsewhere, when boolit is typed.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

The best part is if you search boolits you only go there.
38-55
Levergunner

Post by 38-55 »

This world is serious enough as it is..... boolits is fine in my vocabulary :)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Boolits= as God laid it into the soil, grand old Galena, the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.
I like that...!
KCSO wrote:The best part is if you search boolits you only go there.
SMART marketing.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Yep. A boolit is made of lead. A bullet has a jacket.

That's how I use it.

It's kind of my way of paying homage to the Cast Boolits board - it really is the premeninant board on the subject. Just like this is with leverguns... :D

So get used to it.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Ok, so WHAT was the problem? :? :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Ok now I'm in. Boolits it is.

Owen
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

You mean they put jackets on boolits?

Doesn't the little zipper scratch yer barrel?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Old Ranger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Ranger »

Perhaps I'm a stuffed shirt too. However, the forum that some are talking about left a very bad taste in my mouth. Little over a year ago they (that forum that spells different) had many of their members attack my little brother for using Tripple 7 in a 45-70 "because he was using fake powder" as they said, and how dare he mention it in THEIR forum. It got really brutal and the admin folks just let it go on and on. A few months later an admin guy came after me because he didn't like the avatar I had. It was the crest of my old regiment. Now that was about as redundant as it gets. After dealing with that admin guy a bit I simply told him that I did not wish to remain in their clanish fold and requested to remove me, and all my data, from their system. I have never opened that forum again and never will. Too many semi-big fish in a little pond there.

Here, on Leverguns, folks are far more responsive to questions without any of the nonsense of trying to make themselves feel important by treating the person with the question like a fool. This is one of the reasons that I visit this forum often and feel more than welcome each time I do. The members here are mature adults, that when a question of a serious nature is posed, respond in kind offering their very best advice and input to the problem at hand. There are some topics that are fun, and intended to be. We get collective chuckles from them, but when a member has something to work out, all will contribute to his or her aid.

So if I don't use the cute spelling for a projectile, oh well, at least I know, here, if I have something that requires an assist, I know that it will be addressed with a positive response without foul remarks. I have never seen anyone here go to any lengths to ever put someone down for any reason. So I will continue to remain a loyal Levergun member and enjoy the many threads and posts as they are informative, positive, and sometimes funny when intended!

Ok, off the soapbox now and thanks for listening....

Wade
Aim low boys! They're riddin' shetlands!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Wade,

Unfortunately it has happened here. Much to my dismay, some have run off some really good follks... same as over there. Shameful actions by my count. I don't visit there very much... but do so to look for group buys on molds I'd like.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
onegoodshot
Levergunner

Post by onegoodshot »

Never use boolits, but I'm guilty of using "pills" all the time. Pharmacist, so I give the deer "lead poisoning" and any problem is a "fly in the ointment".

My fav part of this site is the old cowboy pics. I'd love to compile all those and put in an album. Wouldnt you like to speak to those gents. The stories they could tell.
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Yep. A boolit is made of lead. A bullet has a jacket.

That's how I use it.

It's kind of my way of paying homage to the Cast Boolits board - it really is the premeninant board on the subject. Just like this is with leverguns... :D

So get used to it.
But if that's the case, why is it so often written "cast boolits?" Too cutsie for me; ditto "shotty" (I really don't like that one--and it's only one letter shorter than "shotgun.") For some reason I can't explain, "Winnie", "Remmie" and "Annie" don't bother me. Well, I never claimed to be consistent.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Washita wrote:
O.S.O.K. wrote:Yep. A boolit is made of lead. A bullet has a jacket.

That's how I use it.

So get used to it.
But if that's the case, why is it so often written "cast boolits?"
Because you can also swage a boolit. The important thing being you do it yourself for your own reasons vs. Just buying commercial.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Old Ranger, I am sad to read that reply - shouldn't happen. I haven't had any such experience there. I have had a few snippy back and forths but that's happened on any number of boards that I've posted on... probably because I am so shy :P I can say, now that you've mentioned it, I don't recall much in the way of close moderation there... Regadless, I have learned a lot on the subject there and appreciate the site.

I don't post there nearly like I do here or another site where I'm a mod, but it's still been a very valuable resource for me.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

They don't use zippers, since were working on a traditional medium , so they use buttons on their jackets. I think the redundancy of "cast boolits" is a concession to those not familiar with the term boolits. And unfortunately the term boolits does not get past the blocks/filters the book burners have placed on our corporate computers. Much other drivel and anything liberal is accepted.