not alever gun but need help with model 1897

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jgt
Levergunner

not alever gun but need help with model 1897

Post by jgt »

I bouth 1897 winchester pump take down in 12 gauge with two barrels one fits good .the other barrel goes on but will not turn all the way in and lock .it gets tight and will not turn the rest of the way in . any thoughts or help .THANK YOU a head of time.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Is it an original to the gun bbl? If not you may have to take it to a smith to get it fitted correctly.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
BHB
Levergunner

Post by BHB »

There's a small screw on the contact face of the barrel set...........is it protruding and preventing it from closing on the receiver face?

There is also an adjustment lock on the same pice that allows the barrel to be snugged up......maybe the previous owner snugged it up too tight?
leverhunter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by leverhunter »

BHB wrote:There's a small screw on the contact face of the barrel set...........is it protruding and preventing it from closing on the receiver face?

There is also an adjustment lock on the same pice that allows the barrel to be snugged up......maybe the previous owner snugged it up too tight?
I second that as a likely problem. I'm in the process of finishing a rebuild of my old 97. Includes fitting a replacement barrel. Do you have a complete barrel/forend assembly? I am actually having to change the barrel retaining ring (not right term) from the original barrel onto the replacement one for a correct fit. Takes a bit of trial and error.
Live to hunt and fish, your life depends upon it!
leverhunter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by leverhunter »

Go to www.wisnersinc.com
Great diagram there, just follow the links.
The part is actually called the Extension, Takedown. Likely the problem is the Extension Stop Screw, Takedown.
I'm have a heck of a time getting the old/replacement barrel out of the Extension Takedown. Presently am soaking the barrel in Break Free to loosen. The original was easy to remove so I have been experimenting with fitting it, hence the need for fitting/adjustments.
Hope this helps. Those 97's are great fun to shoot.
BHB
Levergunner

Post by BHB »

leverhunter wrote:Those 97's are great fun to shoot.
:D

BHB
Levergunner

Post by BHB »

leverhunter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by leverhunter »

Nice action shot!!